Shepherd pie with crust bottom--anyone have a recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Shepherd pie with crust bottom--anyone have a recipe?

Last post Jun 08, 2013 6:55 PM by Cynthiad53 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Shepherd pie with crust bottom--anyone have a recipe?
    thx
    False
     Photobucket
  • RE: Shepherd pie with crust bottom--anyone have a recipe?

RE: Shephards Pie ???
    Posted by: reynoldszoo Posted on: 6/11/2004 10:01:29 AM
    #R3822676

My family loves this recipe...

Shepherd’s Pie

1 - 9 inch pie crust
    1 lb ground beef
    1 package Club House Shepherd’s Pie Seasoning Mix
    2 medium carrots, sliced thin
    1 small onion, diced
    5-6 Potatoes (mashed 3 cups)
    ¾ c water mixed with 1 pkg beef boullion
    worchestershire, to taste
    HP steak sauce, to taste
    Salt & Pepper

Brown ground beef. Add carrots & onions, water/boullion mixture & seasoning mix. Simmer 5 minutes. Add worchestershire sauce, HP, salt & pepper. Pour into pie crust. Top with mashed potatoes. Brush with melted butter

Bake – 400 deg – 25 minutes
    350 deg – 10 minutes more

I like rayt721's idea of adding corn...

Enjoy,
    Carol

False

RE: iso beef recipe
    Posted by: TexasroseII Posted on: 3/23/2004 7:25:45 PM
    #R3321406

I'm sorry I don't have your recipe but it sounds like an upside=-down shepherd's pie to me. Shepherd's pie can be made so many ways, but generally is a ground beef mixture on the bottom and mashed potatoes on the top. Maybe someone will have excatly what you want. I found this GH recipe for you.

1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
    1 pound lean (90%) ground beef
    1 tablespoon margarine or butter
    1 cup chopped onions (half a 10-ounce bag)
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
    1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    Dill sprigs for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Spray 1 1/2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish or deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Press cold mashed potatoes onto bottom and up side of casserole. Bake potato crust 20 minutes or until edge is golden.

2. Meanwhile, heat 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add ground beef and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking it up with side of spoon. Spoon beef into paper-towel-lined bowl to drain.

3. In same skillet, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onions and cook 6 to 7 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Return beef to skillet with onions. Stir in ketchup and dried dill. Reduce heat to low; stir in parsley and sour cream.

4. Spoon ground-beef mixture into mashed-potato crust; garnish with dill sprigs to serve.

False

Shepherd's Pie Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    Show: Paula's Home Cooking
    Episode: English Pub Fare
    1 small onion
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables or niblet corn, prepared
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    8 to 10 medium red new potatoes
    1 1/2 cups milk
    12 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups instant biscuit mix

Beef Layer: Saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter. Add ground beef. After beef is browned, add tomato sauce; Mix in vegetables. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
    Potato Layer: Peel and slice potatoes 1/4-inch thick. Cook in boiling water for approximately 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Whip potatoes with electric mixer; mix until moderately smooth. Don't over beat them; a few lumps are nice. Add 1/2 cup heated milk, 1/2 cup butter, and sour cream. Salt and pepper, to taste. Whip until mixed. Adjust thickness by adding more milk, if desired.

Biscuit Layer: Combine biscuit mix and 1 cup milk. The mix should be thinner than normal biscuit mix but not runny.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a 9 by 9 by 2-inch pan, or any similar casserole dish. Layer half way up with the mashed potatoes. Next, spread a layer of mixed vegetables or niblet corn on top of potatoes. Then add a layer of the meat. Pour biscuit mix over meat. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top. Bake for approximately 35 to 45 minutes until top is golden brown.

Note: Leftovers make this dish easy to put together. So if you have leftover pork roast or beef roast with gravy and mashed potatoes from Sunday dinner then this is an easy mid- week meal that will take only a few minutes.

False
    Thank you all!
    False
     Photobucket
    Hi, I've used cheesy as you like them mashed potatoes for a bottom crust, as well for the top enjoy :)
    False