How do you know when fish is done? In particular, Talapia | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you know when fish is done? In particular, Talapia

Last post Jul 29, 2007 7:13 AM by Cabot . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • How do you know when fish is done? In particular, Talapia
    And while I'm at it, how do you pronounce that? Is it TALapia? TalAPia? TalaPIa?
    I can't think of the last time I cooked fish. The recipe for this says to layer it with zucchini in a foil packet and bake it for 20 minutes at 400º. I did that, and it wasn't flaky, so I put it bake in. I'm probably burning it as I type, but I have a horror of raw fish.
    Lynn in Cabot
    False
  • RE: How do you know when fish is done? In particular, Talapia
    The dictionary says: tuh-lah-pee-uh
    which is exactly how I say it. lol

As far as testing for when it is done, I'm not sure other than when it is flaky. I heard on a cooking show recently though that if fish is cooked until flaky, it is OVERDONE. I've always used the "flakiness" test myself.
    False
    Hello. Which dictionary are you looking in? I used Webster's Ninth New Collegiate, which is about 15 years old. LOL. Talapia is not listed.
    I guess I like fish overdone. LOL. If it isn't flaky, I'll pass, thank you very much. Lynn
    False
    I use dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tilapia
    False
    flaky for me. tuh LAP ee ah. Pronounce lap the same as the lap your children sit in.
    False
    Tilapia is pronounced the way Avid cook said. And, it's done when the fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork.
    False
    Here is a recipe I like.

Tilapia Lemon Parmesan

2-1/2 lbs. Tilapia fillets
    2-4 tsp. butter or margarine, softened
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    Lemon-Parmesan Sauce
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tbl. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Garnish
    2 lemons, sliced fresh parsley

Rinse the tilapia fillets in cold water and drain thoroughly.
    Top with butter or margarine and lemon juice. Broil about 4 inches from the source of heat for approximately 5 to 6 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork.
    Top each portion with 1-2 tbl. of Lemon-Parmesan Sauce; broil 2-3 minutes or until sauce puffs and turns golden brown. Place fillets on serving plate; garnish with lemon slices and fresh parsley.
    Serves: 6
    False
    That recipe sounds very good.
    I wasn't asking how to pronounce the vowels. What I wanted to know was which syllable to accent.
    I think I'll use my zucchini for something else next time, and try taLAPia with lemon sauce. Thank you all. Lynn
    False
    Okay I misunderstood. The emphasis is on the LAH part. And I hope you enjoy the recipe. I have had good luck broiling or just baking tilapia and other mild white fish. They cook fast.
    False
    Well, I'm happy. I got both of my questions answered, and in addition I got a new recipe. Can't beat that with a big stick, now can ya? I hope you all have good evenings. Lynn
    False

Lynn, you are so funny! I always enjoy reading your posts. Rather Erma Bombeck-ish. LOL

This reminds me of when I would ask Mom how to spell a word and she would always tell me to look it up in the dictionary.

I always told her I didn't want to know what the word meant, I wanted to know how to spell it and how could I look it up if I didn't know how to spell it! LOL

Recheck that dictionary. That fish swam over to the Ti section, not the Ta. LOL ☺

BTW, I say ta-LAH-pee-ah.

Thanks for the grins this morning! ☺
    False
    You are very kind, AlabamaNeeNee! I hope you meant to be up so early/late, and aren't having trouble sleeping. I'm always glad to see your name on any post. Lynn
    False