Healthy Living Support Group--Mon 3/8 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Healthy Living Support Group--Mon 3/8

Last post Mar 09, 2004 1:41 AM by Jaxon . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Healthy Living Support Group--Mon 3/8
    Good Morning Healthy Ones!

Fiber-Rich Fruits and Cereals Protect Heart

By Jennifer Warner
    WebMD Medical News

Adding two to three servings of high-fiber fruit or cereal could provide powerful protection for your heart.
    A new study shows that for each 10 grams of fiber eaten per day, you can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease death by 27% and coronary heart disease by 14%.

A serving of bran cereal (3/4 cup) and a pear each contain about 5 grams of fiber. A similar-sized serving of cooked oatmeal and an apple have about 3 grams of fiber each.

Researchers say that although many studies have shown that eating a high-fiber diet can lower the risk of heart disease, few have looked at the relationship between different sources of dietary fiber and heart disease.

In this study, researchers found that fiber from cereals and fruits had a significant effect on lowering heart disease risks, but vegetable fiber didn't appear to any protective effects. Their findings are based on an analysis of 10 previous studies on fiber and heart disease, which involved 91,058 men and 245,186 women in the U.S. and Europe.

Fruits and Cereals Fight Heart Disease

Researchers say dietary fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease in a variety of ways, such as improving cholesterol levels, lowering blood pressure, and improving insulin sensitivity.

The study, published in the Feb. 23 issue of The Archives of Internal Medicine, shows that for every 10 gram per day increase in overall fiber consumed, there was a 14% reduction in the risk of heart attacks and 27% lower risk of coronary heart disease death.
    Researchers say those results back current recommendations to eat a diet that includes an abundance of high-fiber foods to prevent heart disease.
    False
  • RE: Healthy Living Support Group--Mon 3/8
    Con't--

According to the American Dietetic Association, Americans should eat 20-35 grams of fiber each day, but the average American currently eats only 12-17 grams of fiber a day.

Although overall fiber consumption was associated with a reduced risk of death from coronary heart disease, researchers say the associations were stronger for cereal and fruit fiber, with a 25% reduction in risk for each 10-gram increment per day of cereal fiber and a 30% reduction in risk for each 10-gram increment per day of fruit fiber.

Researchers say one possible explanation for the lack of a link between vegetable fiber and lower heart disease risk may be that some vegetables, such as corn and peas, are starchy and often heavily processed, which reduces their nutrient content. In addition, some of the studies included potatoes -- a very starchy vegetable -- in their vegetable fiber analysis.

Researchers say starchy vegetables can have cause a jump in blood sugar levels that has been shown to increase the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

"Therefore, any protective effect of vegetable fiber may be countered by some adverse effects of starchy vegetables," writes researcher Mark A. Pereira, PhD, of Harvard University.
    False
    Here's a chart with some fiber rich foods:

Fiber Content of Selected Foods

Food Amount Grams of Fiber
    Apple (with skin) 1 medium 3.0
    Dried figs 2 3.5
    Orange 1 medium 3.1
    Pear (with skin) 1 medium 4.3
    Prunes 3 1.8
    Raisins (seedless) 1/4 cup 1.9
    Strawberries 1 cup 3.9
    Broccoli 1/2 cup 2.0
    Brussels sprouts 1/2 cup 3.4
    Baked potato w/skin 1 medium 3.6
    Spinach 1/2 cup 2.0
    Sweet potato 1/2 medium 1.7
    Carrots (raw) 1 medium 2.3
    Romaine lettuce 1 cup 1.0
    Tomato (raw) 1 medium 1.6
    Baked beans 1/2 cup 9.8
    Kidney beans 1/2 cup 7.3
    Lentils 1/2 cup 3.7
    Peanuts 1/4 cup 2.9
    Pumpernickel bread 1 slice 1.9
    Brown rice (cooked) 1/2 cup 1.7
    Whole wheat bread 1 slice 1.9
    Spaghetti (cooked) 1/2 cup 1.1
    All-Bran 1/3 cup 8.5
    Bran Chex 2/3 cup 4.6
    Bran flakes 3/4 cup 5.3
    Oatmeal (regular) 3/4 cup 1.6
    Raisin bran 3/4 cup 4.8

Data from USDA-Human Nutrition Information Service. Agriculture Handbook No. 8 and Bowes & Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used 15th Edition.

False

Thanks, Jaxon, for including some info about fiber. Like everyone else, I need to get more in my diet, and will have to start working it in. Unfortunately, I don't like beans or peas, and they are a high source of fiber. Glad to see the strawberries hare high -- I could eat those all day long! We are just starting to see the vendors selling the flats of berries at the roadside stands. The fields should be open to "U Pick" in a couple of weeks.

Have a great day, everyone!
    False
    "BeancounterCe"
    Good morning Jaxon and Beancounter ~

I am pretty proud of myself today. My daughter & son-in-law had a brunch on Saturday to celebrate my grandson's b-day. My daughter is a wonderful baker & she did herself proud that day. There were so many delicious fattening things, that ordinarily I would have eaten. BUT I was good!!! I had some scrambled eggs, which were seasoned very well and some ham. I took Buffalo Chicken Dip (from this BB) and some celery for an apetizer. I made the dip with all low fat ingredients. There were 4 of us that were there trying to eat healthy. Needless to say, the dip & celery was a big hit! I stayed away from the kitchen where all the food was & that seemed to help.

Got LS's Walk Away Pounds Tape on Friday and have walked a mile each day since. For me that's really good!

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Barb
    False
    Thanks Jaxon, For all the hard work u do for us...You keep us incouraged. I am doing great on my healthy eating. I am doing my treadmil now starting today....Tina
    False
    Good morning Jaxon,
    How did you do this weekend?

Thanks for the info. on fiber. What rather surprises me is the amount of fiber a pear has. If I were naming fruits for fiber, I probably wouldn't name pears for high fiber, but when I think of the texture, I guess it would be fiber in them. I like pears, but seldom buy or eat them.

Well, wasn't so proud of myself yesterday. I cooked a regular meal because we had a guest for dinner, and I fixed a roast with mashed potatoes and gravy. I didn't eat a lot of the potatoes and gravy though. Our guest may have been nervous, but she was a real talker, so I didn't want to be shovelling in the food while she was telling me this and that LOL. I had run out of salad greens and didn't realize it, so I didn't even have a salad to eat a lot of to keep from eating foods I shouldn't. The person we had invited couldn't eat salad anyway. But I made rolls out of the frozen rolls you buy. I ate several of those, shame on me!! My blood sugar this morning proved I ate too many of them. The potatoes were the first we had eaten in over a month. Oh well, like you have said, sometimes it does good to break over a bit.
    So today, it's back to the usual though. I have already had my oatmeal and 1 slice of whole-grain toast, with 1/2 cup 1% milk. Now to get some more salad greens, and I'll be back on track.....except for the mashed potato left overs I stuck in fridge! Wouldn't they make good potato cakes!!

I'll try to do some of my dance exercise things today.
    Barbara
    False
    Good morning Jaxon

Thanks so much for the great fiber info.

Barb: good for you! Its all about control isnt it? We all have the control over what we eat and when and if we exercise. I am glad you got the leslie sansone tape. I have been singing the praises of those for a long time because they work and they are easy. Congrats on your good weekend!

i had a good weekend too. Went to my sisters friday night when she had veggie sheet pizza loaded with yummy cheese. She also had made greens and beans (an italian dish) soup since it was lent and we werent eating meat on friday. Well I ate one piece of pizza (picked the cheese off and replaced the veggies) and I ate a big bowl of the soup with it. I didnt eat the brownies she laid out for dessert and just had my tea. It wasnt easy - but I was glad when I got home that I didnt succumb to all the yummy but fattening things.

Hope you all have a great day!
    False
    You guys are all so inspiring! Avoiding temptation on the weekends takes real dedication and you have it! Whenever I see something I think I just have to have I start chanting:

Nothing TASTES as good as being THIN feels. (Not that I'm thin yet, but I'm thinner than I was last month!)

And speaking of fiber, I have a little cheat I do when I eat something that has more calories and carbs than I needed: I take a few fiber capsules with a big glass of water, that fiber will soak some of the excess sugar up so it never sees my bloodstream. Plus I get some extra fiber so it's a win-win.
    False
    Hi to all. I walked 2 miles on the treadmill this morning, had yogurt and a tangerine for breakfast, went to Windy's for lunch and had their new Chicken and Spinach salad with Sweet and Sour Bacon dressing, the dressing was only 2.5 grams of fat for the whole package and it was really good. I only ate half of the salad and brought the other half home with me.

It is a good way to start out the week and hope I can continue along these lines.
    I will TTY tomorrow.

Catsgalore
    False
    Hi, everyone! I had good intentions today...but then I came home from work...I had a salad, grapes, a wheat pita w/cheese and was on my way to a good dinner....But, then it hit. A MAJOR snack attack. Doritoes and mint Hershey kisses....

First, let me tell you that the snack tasted really good...But, then I thought I had better do something to make up for this little event. SO, I ate a bowl of beef soup for dinner and turned the timer on and walked/jogged all over my house for an hour. I then celebrated with a diet coke.

Tomorrow is another day..It is soooooo hard to be good!
    Good luck everyone!
    Linda
    False
    Linda
    Hi everybody. Long time no type!! I actually walked 2 miles at the track tonight!!! PK had soccer practice, so I walked. DH came and walked too. Then he went home and fixed dinner. GK rode his scooter with dad and me around the track. He probably did 4 miles altogether. I felt so good I didn't even eat all my dinner, and I've had two glasses of water!!
    Jaxon--thanks for the info on fiber. I need to add more to my diet. I checked a couple of the other posts, but I haven't been on in about a week and a half.
    I hope everybody has a great week, and keep on losing!! :)

Monstersmama
    False
    Hey MM, good to see you! Sounds like you made exercise a family affair tonight, what a great way to spend some time together and get healthy too!
    False
    not sure if you will see this post. On late b/c had a very busy day. I do a charity clothing drive once a month and its a long but rewarding task. It helps to know that today when someone got a dress from church that we had, they were ecstatic and that made us happy as well. We take free clothes and donate our own as well and offer them to anyone to go through and see if they can use them. My friend and I that do this always enjoy the time hanging out and our kis get along great as well.

Anywhoo... It was nice today and I walked on this track that circles a playground. My friend and I walked for an hour straight at a brisk pace while our kids played. (she has two older girls that like to play with my younger ones) I couldn't believe that I had walked continuously, except one moment when I had to pick up dog poop LOL, for an hour and carried on a conversation. I am doing a 3mile walk a thon with her next month. Got my DH and DD's involved as well. Very excited. At this moment, I don't care if I lost weight. Its more monumental to me that I walked for that distance and so good.

Anyways, good night and take care. Keep your fingers crossed, b/c tomorrow is my appointment about the lumps in my breast. So worried...

:) shannon
    False
    Hey Shannon, I'm on REALLY late so you probably won't see this but that's a great way to get exercise and make it pleasant too! Way to go!
    False