Question about freezing peaches whole, with skin on. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question about freezing peaches whole, with skin on.

Last post Sep 07, 2012 8:14 AM by carol1229 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Question about freezing peaches whole, with skin on.
    I picked bushels of peaches the other day and was trying to figure out the best way to freeze peaches. I came across this online, has anyone tried this?

I found this on www.countryroads.net

Canning and Freezing
    Freezing Fresh Peaches

This may sound unbelievable to many of you but this is a great way to freeze peaches.

How to freeze peaches!

Let whole, unblemished peaches ripen - dead ripe.

2. Arrange whole peaches on a cookie sheet and place in freezer.

3. After peaches have frozen solid; place them in a plastic bag.

4. When you are ready to use, removed the desired number of peaches from the bag, run cold water over frozen peach and slip off the skin.

5. Microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.

6. Slice peaches to use as you desire for cereal toppings, pies or cobbler, ice cream, or simply slice them, add a little sugar if needed and enjoy.

Peaches frozen this way taste just like peaches picked fresh from the tree. IF IN DOUBT, TRY A FEW! You will never freeze peaches any other way again.

False
  • RE: Question about freezing peaches whole, with skin on.
    Now you tell me! I froze half a bushel last Saturday. I think I was sticky up to my elbows. LOL!!

Carol
    False

Carol

LOL,

I've never tried this before. I just froze a test batch on a cookie sheet this AM. I took them out and bagged them, I guess I'll find out. I hope someone else has tried them this way.

How did you freeze them Carol?
    False
    Have not tried that method, But I have dry packed them and they are really good. I dip them on boiling water then in cold water and slip the skins off, halve and pit, then I fill a quart size freezer bag, add 1 cup sugar and fruit fresh, close the bag and squish just a little bit to get a little juice to mix with the sugar then freeze. I use these in cobblers or semi thaw and eat plain.

Debbie
    False
    I slice the peaches. Add some lemon juice and give them a stir. Then I add Splenda and give them another good stir. This time I put about 3 servings in Glad bowls and then into the freezer. Tomorrow I'm going to pop the frozen peaches out and put them into the Food Saver bags and seal them up then back into the freezer.

Then I'm going to reuse those bowls to freeze some tomatoes. DH picked half a bushel last night off of 8 plants. I'll do the same with the tomatoes after they're frozen.

Carol
    False

Carol

I'll try that method. Even though I have to buy them at $0.99/lb. they will be less expensive than canned for the winter months and I hope taste much better.
    chefly
    False
    Well I'll be darned am getting a case of peaches tonite will have to try this method for freezing them...thanks~!
    False
    Thanks Carol, I'll try some that way too.

I wish I knew someone who tried freezing them whole, so I could just freeze them all like that. It sure would make it easier! :o)
    False
    I have never tried that either but it sure sounds like a good way to do it. May take up a little more freezer room but if you have plenty I would sure try it. I have frozen whole tomatoes like that and they are just as good and twice as easy as peeling, chopping etc before freezing but we usually are short on freezer space and as I said you definately use more of it freezing them whole I think. If I am luck enough to get some good peached I will sure try that. We don't have many around here this year because of the freeze but sometimes we get a truck in that gets them from Ill. and some from Georgia. I love the Georgia peaches especially the white ones.
    False
    Thanks KansasDeb I'll try some that way too, does the sugar stay crystalized in the dry pack method?

Allspice, thanks that is good to know about the tomatoes because I have a dozens and dozens of tomatoes right now. I have a lot of freezer space... and you are so right about them taking up space. I froze the peaches on a cookie sheet and took them out and sealed in food saver bags. They took up the exact same amount of space as they did on the cookie sheet LOL
    False
    I had a friend that froze them this way. She just thawed how ever many she needed and used them. She thawed us each one and we ate it. They were wonderful and tasted just like they did when freshly picked.
    She didn't microwave them. She just set them in a bit of warm water still in the baggy for a bit. bj
    False
    I had a friend that froze them this way. She just thawed how ever many she needed and used them. She thawed us each one and we ate it. They were wonderful and tasted just like they did when freshly picked.
    She didn't microwave them. She just set them in a bit of warm water still in the baggy for a bit. bj
    False
    The sugar turns "syrupy" in the juice from the peaches. Then in the winter daughter likes to take a bag, thaw it just a little to where the sugar/syrup part is still partially frozen.

False
    Thank you BJ that is good to know!! I am going to freeze more of them that way. I think they'll be good that way for smoothies.

Thanks Debb, I appreciate the info, That sounds like another simple way to freeze them :o) My son will probably like them better with the sugar.
    False
    I froze several peaches last week. I peeled and sliced them, put them on cookie sheets, and put them in the freezer for a few hours, and then put them in baggies. You don't have to put lemon juice on them. They don't turn brown, and so much easier to use for cobblers or pies. I read on this bb that TINK (from this bb) has done them this way. They're fantastic. I always do my blueberries this way.
    False