How Do Restaurants Make Baked Potatoes??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Do Restaurants Make Baked Potatoes???

Last post Feb 11, 2011 1:40 PM by Yummeroo . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • How Do Restaurants Make Baked Potatoes???
    I've tried rubbing them with oil and kosher salt, I've tried wrapping them in foil, I've tried EVERYTHING!!! I can't duplicate THEIR soft, fluffy baked potatoes! HELP! (I eat them plain, so it's not any milk or butter that is added that makes them taste so good). Thanks!

Janet
    False
  • RE: How Do Restaurants Make Baked Potatoes???
    I used to work in a fast food place and all we did was wrap in foil and bake for 1 hr. I think the main difference is the type of spud used. We used the bigger russet ones as they are more fluffy than the ones in the # bags.
    Your produce man can tell you.
    Kathy
    False

* Exported from MasterCook *

RESTAURANT STYLE BAKED POTATOES

Recipe By :The Birmingham News - July 25, 2001
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : potatoes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Idaho Potatoes
    Salt

For a great baked potato, like the ones you get at steakhouses, start with a mealy-fleshed baking potato such as an Idaho. Do not wrap it in foil unless you want a steamed potato.
    Wash the potato well and while still damp, rub it with plenty of salt. This draws the moisture from the potato during baking, giving it a fluffier texture. Pierce the potato with a fork.
    Bake at 400° for 40 to 60 minutes or until tender. This produces a potato with a crisp exterior and a fluffy interior.

Cuisine:
    "Vegetables"
    Source:
    "Gayle at recipegoldmine.com"
    False
    You need to use baker potatoes. You can also find those prewrapped in grocery stores.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    Janet I told a waitress once at Red Lobster that they made the best baked potatoes. She said that's because they roll russets in melted butter and dip them in coarse ground salt. That is all thtey do she said. They are always so good.
    False
    Julia Child told to use the Idaho potatoes, but she also said after they are baked to gently mash on them sort of like a gentle massage, do it all around the potato to start breaking it up. Then cut it open incase there is steam.
    False
    ]
    I never wrap my baked potatoes in foil. The foil steams them. I use large Idaho baking potatoes, wipe them with a damp cloth, and put them directly in the oven for at least one hour at 400 degrees. (Sometimes longer depending on the size of the potato.) The skin comes out crispy and the inside of the potato is soft and fluffy. It's the only way I bake potatoes.
    False

The Ultimate Baked Potato

Use US # 1 Russets only, Idaho or Oregon are the best.

Don't store below 55°F or the starch will turn to sugar.

Wash and scrub well. 3M makes a green scrubby that works well.

Pat dry.

Prick the ends with a fork to let moisture escape during baking. This will make the potato fluffy instead of gummy.

Oil or butter lightly. I like butter for flavor but will use bacon grease if available.

Season lightly with kosher salt and a few twist of the pepper mill on all sides.

Place on baking sheet, spaced 1/2" apart and bake at 400°F for about 1 hour, depending on size. Potato will yield to pressure when done.

Cut open in wave shape with paring knife and squeeze ends. Serve immediately.

In a restaurant, you want to cook the potato 80%, keep it out of the heat and fire as the orders come in. They will take 8-10 minutes to finish and be just like a freshly baked potato. Potatoes that have been baked/steamed in aluminum foil and are being kept warm all day are the ultimate culinary derailment.

The potato should be crisp on the outside and mealy/fluffy on the inside. This will make for a baked potato where you will like the outside better than the inside and that is where the vitamins and flavor are anyway.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/bakpot.htm
    False

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I dont' know how to thank you all!!! I will try your hints and give reviews! Thanks again so much!

Janet

False
    DD worked at Lonestar Steakhouse. They used russets and rubbed them with bacon grease and sprinkled with coarse salt before baking.
    False
    Oh my...I am soooo ready to start trying these...And i have a hefty supply of bacon grease..all stored in my freezer and ready to use...I can see baked potatoe on my menu for this weekend...
    Thank you for all the suggestions.
    and thanks you Janet for asking
    Cass
    False
    I use Russetts.

Roll them in melted butter and then in garlic salt.

Place on a cookie sheet.

Bake unwrapped, in a 425 degree oven for 1 hour!

False
    Here's a tip for when you have forgotten to put the potatoes in and don't have an hour to bake them. Prepare the potato for baking and place in the microwave for about half the time for a normal microwaved potato...then remove and place in your regular oven to finish cooking. Will taste like it baked for the entire time in your oven in less than half the time.
    False
    Ok I have to ask,rainet what do you do with frozen bacon grease, and how do you freeze it ?
    False

Great post -- very informative. Thanks so much jgjanet for posting it.
    False