Need ideas for dinner using precooked shrimp | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need ideas for dinner using precooked shrimp

Last post Aug 27, 2007 7:29 PM by ceekay . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Need ideas for dinner using precooked shrimp
    I bought a bunch of precooked shrimp on sale a while back. I currently have a bag of it in the refrigerator thawing. I don't want to just eat shrimp cocktail for dinner and I don't have ingredients for alfredo sauce. I also don't have salad ingredient. What other ideas do you have for me using this?
    False
  • RE: Need ideas for dinner using precooked shrimp
    Here is a link to a thread I bumped up. Maybe you can find something in there that sounds good. I saw a couple that I thought looked really good but if you don't have the ingredients it would not help you much.

Sue

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=816604&catnum=68&headnum=2
    False
    Next time don't thaw the whole bag. Know that's no help right now - but -
    now that they're thawed - maybe just go for a shrimp cocktail tonite & make a shrimp salad for tomorrow. Could also do them in a quiche or dip.

Peg
    False
    This is how I make my shrimp scampi.

In a casserole dish put in shrimp sprinkle with chopped garlic. Melt one half stick of butter in mug - after melted fill mug the rest of the way with wine. Cover shrimp and bake for about 10 minutes.

I also make shrimp with a jar of salsa - for putting over pasta. I add a touch of cream to the salsa to make the sauce richer and to hang onto the pasta.

Janetplanet
    False

I have used cooked diced shrimp instead of crabmeat for crab cakes and they were great.

I have also used cooked shrimp for sauteed shrimp. Just saute the onion and garlic for a minute then add cooked shrimp and stir just until shrimp is heated through. Remove from heat and stir in butter.

Sauteed Shrimp

2 oz white wine
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
    2 green onions, sliced
    12 shrimp, peeled and cleaned
    3 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp lemon juice

Add wine to a skillet and heat until reduced by half. Add garlic, parsley, onions and shrimp. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add butter and lemon juice, remove from heat and stir until butter has melted and sauce is smooth.

Shrimp with Bacon Tomato and Corn Relish

6 slices bacon
    6 ears fresh corn
    4 green onions
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tomato, diced
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Dice bacon and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tsp grease in skillet.
    Cut corn from cob. Chop green onions, including tops. Add corn, onions and garlic to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes. Add shrimp and stir 1-2 minutes, until shrimp is heated through. Remove from heat and stir in bacon, tomato, salt and pepper. Pretty when served on lettuce leaves.
    False
    TEXAS LEMON SHRIMP

Serves: 2
    Effort: easy
    Comments: Basic recipe came out of TOH, but I did some tweaking to make it more to our liking.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
    1/2 c. chopped sweet red or green pepper.
    2 T. olive oil
    1/3 c. water
    2 T. lemon juice
    2 t. minced garlic
    2 t. Cajun seasoning (I used my homemade Cajun seasoning)
    1 t. grated lemon peel
    1/4 t. salt
    1 lb. small cooked shrimp
    1 T. cornstarch
    2 T. cold water

INSTRUCTIONS:
    In a large skillet, sauté onion and red pepper in oil until tender. Mix water, lemon juice, garlic, Cajun seasoning, lemon peel and salt. Pour into pan. Add shrimp; cook til shrimp is heated through.
    Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into shrimp mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Serve over rice.
    Serves 2

“Middle age is the time when it takes longer to rest than to get tired”
    False
    GARLIC BASIL SHRIMP

Source: LaDonna
    Comments: The idea of this recipe came out of a magazine, but I did a lot of tweaking to make it for two and to suit Jim and me. You wouldn’t think something this simple and so few ingredients could have so much taste.

INGREDIENTS:
    Butter flavored cooking spray
    1 (12 oz.) bag cooked medium size shrimp (no tails) (if frozen, thawed in a colander and patted dry)
    1 T. McCormick’s Basil & Garlic seasoning blend
    2 T. white wine
    Cooked rice

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Take patted dry already cooked shrimp and spray with butter flavored non-stick cooking spray. Toss to make sure both sides get coated well (after patting down the shrimp, I put back in the colander and sprayed it in there and tossed).
    In a non-stick cooking pan, that’s heated on low to medium heat, add the shrimp. Heat til it’s heated thoroughly. Doesn’t take but maybe 5 minutes. If there are any juices left in the pan, drain off the juices.
    Then sprinkle with seasoning blend and wine. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
    Serve over rice.
    Garnish with a lemon wedge if you like.

“A remedy for sadness is to recall a memory that makes you smile”
    False
    JIM'S CAJUN SHRIMP BOIL

Comments: Jim made this recipe up. It is fun to take a plastic tablecloth. Put it on the table. Drain the liquid off of this, then dump all the ingredients in the middle of the table. Then everyone just digs in.

Ingredients:
    cooked shrimp
    small red potatoes
    baby carrots
    1 red pepper, quartered
    1 green pepper, quartered
    1 yellow pepper, quartered
    6 small boiling onions
    1 whole head of cabbage
    corn on cob
    2 chicken bouillon cubes

spices to taste:
    cajun spice
    minced garlic
    onion powder
    salt & pepper
    seasoning salt
    red hot pepper sauce

Instructions:
    In big pot boil water, add bouillon cubes
    Add spices
    Add potatoes & baby carrots
    Boil 10 min.
    Then add cabbage, corn on cob, onions & peppers
    Boil another 15 min.
    Then add shrimp
    Boil 10 min.
    Drain & eat.

To this you can add 1 lb. smoke sausage, cut up. Add the smoke sausage when you add the cabbage, corn on cob, onions & peppers.

Also instead of shrimp, chicken can be used. I would also add the cut up chicken when you add the cabbage, corn on cob, onions and peppers.

It’s hard to put amounts, because this can be adjusted to serve any amount of people. Just add more of what you like.

"Man looks at outward appearance but the Lord looks within"
    False
    This is wonderful and so much less messy than Frogmore Stew!

Frogmore Soup

1 large onion, chopped
    4 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 boneless chicken breast, cubed
    8 oz smoked sausage, sliced
    2 tsp oil
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 chicken bouillon cube
    12 oz light beer
    1 1/2 cups frozen corn
    2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
    12 medium shrimp, peeled
    Salt and pepper or Tabasco sauce to taste

In Dutch oven, cook onion, potatoes, chicken and sausage in oil until onion is soft and chicken is no longer pink. Add water, bouillon, beer, corn and Old Bay seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Add shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes, until shrimp are done. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper or Tabasco.
    False
    bump
    False