A Watermelon Exploded In My Kitchen | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

A Watermelon Exploded In My Kitchen

Last post Sep 05, 2007 5:06 PM by piggykins . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • A Watermelon Exploded In My Kitchen
    I bought two small watermelons for my family for Labor Day. I cut up one and served it but didn't need the other. Yesterday, I planned on cutting up the second one when my DS told me there was a small hole in it and it was hissing. I looked at it and listened and it was hissing and bubbling a little. My gut reaction was a warning, but I thought maybe a bug had bore its way through the rind, so I washed it and started to cut through the rind. Bad, bad idea. The change in pressure of my cutting it made it spew watermelon all over the ceiling and about 5 feet onto the top of my kitchen table. What a surprise and mess. The inside of the watermelon wreaked! I threw it out right away. It must have been decomposing and had a lot of bacterial growth going on, gases being formed. I've never had that happen before. I should have listened to my gut and tossed the whole thing away. LOL!

I just wanted to share my humorous mishap. chefly
    False
  • RE: A Watermelon Exploded In My Kitchen
    OMG what a stinky/sticky mess. Yes, there is usually a reason for our gut feelings. I hope you got it all taken care of and are done with it.
    BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

The watermelons didn't explode, however, many years ago someone told my mother that you could either white wash and/or shellac a watermelon to preserve it for months. So mom tried it out on 2 melons...1 w/white wash, the other shellaced. She set them on top of the box w/the artificial xmas tree. When we went to get them to serve them as a special surprise dessert at Thanksgiving, she discovered they had both rotten & seeped into the box. She tried to scrub each branch off but for years we would find watermelon seeds and strands of dried pulp in the tree. (It was a new & expensive tree & she wasn't going to throw it out).
    False
    BJ, I cleaned up the ceiling, floor and table immediately and took the garbage bag out to the garage right away. I disinfected the counter top too.
    chefly
    False
    Summer before last a friend of ours had a very large watermelon patch and was giving them away right n' left. I took several home to disperse with family and neighbors.

Everyone was raving about how delicious they were. DH stabbed one with the butcher knife in the kitchen. It exploded all over the place. No hissing warning for us!
    False
    Oh Lynn and redsavage, I feel for each of you/your families. It sure was a mess and a surprise. Lynn, I'm glad the watermelons didn't explode for your mom.

Redsavage, don't you wonder why that happened especially since the one you had didn't have a hole?
    chefly
    False
    chefly---I have often wondered about it. It looked like all the others.
    False
    Oh gracious!!! Sorry to be sitting here chuckling at your watermelon stories, but the pictures are just too, too vivid!! WHAT A MESS!! I'm glad you all can laugh about the explosions --- and the thought of Mom trying to clean up the costly Christmas tree is too much!!! :-) Thanks for the giggles this morning.
    False
    What makes this even more bittersweet for me is that when my family was here over the holiday we were talking about things we did as children and my mom reminded me of the time my brother and I thought it would be great fun to throw pumpkin insides (the seeds and gooey insides) up on the ceiling of our kitchen. My brother was a bad influence on me. Lol. Boy did that stuff stick. I can't remember if my brother had to clean it up or not. He is four years older than I am and I was maybe 10. Mom is going to be ROFL when I tell her about this. I know she is going to say "what goes around comes around!" LOL!
    False
    Chefly...I, too, had an experience with a watermelon. It was near the end of the summer, we had purchased two, ate one, and saved the other, which we left sitting on the carpet in our sunroom. We went out of town for a week's vacation. When we returned, this fowl odor met us at the door. We checked everything...everywhere. Nothing could be found. We finally decided that some animal had crawled under the house and died. We put out every odor-eating element we could find...only to temporarily mask the smell.

Later that week, DH decided that he would cut the watermelon. He prepared himself to pick up the heavy object and almost fell backwards...it was just about weightless. There was this fist-sized hole in the bottom and the insides were dried. All of those rotten juices had seeped into my carpet and the padding underneath and soured. I eventually had to replace the carpet...never could find anything to get rid of the smell. Expensive lesson learned...never leave a watermelon on carpet. You just can't trust 'em. LOL

Fratz
    False
    Oh Fratz, I really feel for you. That was one expensive lesson. I know the sour smell now too. Yuck! Too sad and too funny. Lol.
    I didn't realize how much this happens with watermelons. I thought I would be the only one with a story.
    chefly
    False

Chefly, I had never heard of them exploding until I read about it on this BB a coupe of years ago. I googled it and found many similar funny stories.

Your Exploding Watermelon would go great with Lynn's Ka-Boom Chicken. LOL

Fratz, "You just can't trust 'em." Tooo funny.

False
    Yep Chefly, you hear those things bubbling and then the hissing sound, better get out your shield! My Dad bought many a watermelon and have the fruit market plug it for him before he would buy it, you had better not have sold the man a unripe melon. He never brought a bad one home, doubt if they would plug one for you now adays, just trust in the luck of the draw. Nothing like wanting a good tasting melon, only to have it go bad on you. Connie
    False
    Great story!
    I have left many a melon on the counter too long, and then had mush inside when I finally cut it, but never an explosion. I am thanking my lucky stars!
    False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

Connie, do you have any idea of how they go bad from the inside? I don't remember it having a hole when I bought it. I sure wouldn't have if I had seen the hole.
    chefly
    False