recipe to stiffen crocheted stars | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

recipe to stiffen crocheted stars

Last post Sep 09, 2007 2:13 PM by dangit . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • recipe to stiffen crocheted stars
    Would anyone have the "recipe" to stiffen crocheted stars, snowflakes, etc. or would I just use spray-on starch.
    False
  • RE: recipe to stiffen crocheted stars
    Have you tried the liquid starch in the bottle? Dang I cannot think what it is called, but liquid starch and you can weaken it down with water for lighter stiffness, but I do know you can make a pair of pants walk with that stuff as well. LOL. Ok I got off my duff and looked, it is called Sta-Flo liquid starch. Some people use the sugar and water mixture, but I don't have that, sorry, that may be what you are looking for. Good luck, Connie
    False
    Stiffening: Glue Method
    Note: This method is permanent and will not wash out.
    Supplies
    Commercial Stiffener (I highly recommend Aleene’s Fabric Stiffener)
    Plastic bag or Baggie large enough to contain piece
    Paper Towel or Napkin
    Non-rust pins (I highly recommend T-pins)
    Cardboard larger that the piece you are stiffening
    Plastic wrap or other piece of plastic
    Old Toothbrush

1. Place small amount of stiffener + water (for Ornaments: I use 2 parts stiffener + 1 part water) in plastic bag with piece.
    2. Work stiffener into piece. Let soak. Place a piece of plastic on cardboard.
    3. Remove piece from stiffener. Blot with a paper towel to remove excess from holes.
    4. Spread all sides of piece. With right side facing up, pin piece on cardboard shaping exactly the way you want it to look dried. Allow to dry completely.
    5. Use a toothbrush to remove dried stiffener from finished pieces.

Tip: If you are in a hurry you can use a blow dryer or fan to speed up drying
    False
    Stiffening: Old Fashioned Sugar Method

Supplies
    2 cups Sugar
    1 cup Water (Or this could be written 2 parts sugar + 1 part water)
    2 quart sauce pan
    Paper Towel or Napkin
    Old Toothbrush

1. Bring sugar and water to a boil and keep careful watch for when mixture turns clear. Immediately after it turns clear remove from heat. If it boils even seconds too long after turning clear it may crystallize and ruin the mixture.
    2. After mixture cools follow steps 2-5 above.

The biggest advantage of sugar starching is that it can be washed out and restarched if it gets dirty. The glue method is permanent. The disadvantage - you have to be careful to store it in a cool dry place. In hot storage the items can mildew and wilt.

False
    Stiffening - Corn Starch Method

Supplies
    1 cup plus 1 tablespoon Water
    2-3 heaping teaspoons Corn Starch
    1 quart sauce pan
    Paper Towel or Napkin

1. In one ounce (approx. 1 tablespoon) of cold water, dissolve corn starch.
    2. In a sauce pan, bring 1 c. of water to a boil. Reduce heat and pour starch mixture into the boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Keep stirring until the consistency is like pudding. Allow to cool. (Can be stored in refrigerator for up to a week)
    3. Place clean, dry crocheted article into the mixture. Shape article as desired (see steps 3-5 of Glue Method).

This starching method is very stiff. After starching, handle your articles with care, as they can become brittle and even break if the starch is heavy enough. The advantage to the corn starch method is that your article will not get sticky or mildewed in humid places. If desired, the starch can be washed out.

False
    Found these in the internet for you , hope it helps or is what you are looking for. Good luck, Connie
    False
    Thank you so much. My daughter wants snowflakes on her wedding cake and I have some crocheted ones that are limp. Will certainly try one of these recipes. Thanks again. I knew this was the place to get answers quck.
    False
    LyndaLu, I clicked on your name and see you are pretty new, sorry I did not say Welcome, waving hello from Louisiana. Hope you enjoy the BB, you joined a great group of ladies, and some great cooks. We relish the thought of someone new who likes to share recipes and give reviews on recipes,foods you try and product reviews too. Again welcome, enjoy your day. By the way, hope you have plenty of paper and ink for printing or copying recipes. Connie
    False