HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI

Last post Nov 12, 2009 5:51 AM by Appy_Girl . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI

Hi All
    Thought everyone would be interested in this. Have not made it, but will be.Here is the link where you can see it.
    http://www.tammysrecipes.com/tammys_spicy_pepperoni
    http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/1508
    The second one shows step by step.
    Brenda

Homemade pepperoni, step-by-step

People are often surprised to learn that we make our own pepperoni. Indeed, it wasn't long ago that we ourselves had never heard of making homemade pepperoni! Making pepperoni enables us to enjoy a high-quality meat for less money than we would spend to buy it pre-made.

This week's frugal tip is a step-by-step photo tutorial on making homemade pepperoni! It's easier than you think!

Tammy's Spicy Pepperoni

To begin, place your meat (I use lean ground beef) and seasonings in a large bowl. This was an 8-pound batch (I quadrupled my recipe!) because the meat was on sale this week.

The meat is kneaded so that the spices are thoroughly dispersed. Like making meatloaf! :) Then cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1-3 days, kneading once each day. Pepperoni tastes best if the spices have been permeating the meat for several days before/after cooking. :)

Next, divide the meat and form it into logs. I had to make 2-pound logs, which were thicker than usual, in order to get all 8 pounds of meat on my tray. The tray catches excess grease.

Bake the logs at 200 degrees Farenheit for about 8 hours, turning logs during bakin if desired. I baked mine overnight, so I only turned them once.

When pepperoni is finished baking, allow to cool, and slice. Slicing is the most time-consuming part of making pepperoni!

I put the sliced pepperoni in freezer bags and freeze. Then, I remove some from the bag for pizza, whenever we decide to have that. The pepperoni thaws quickly. It's very handy!

Here is our favorite pepperoni recipe: Tammy's Spicy Pepperoni. It's perfect for pizza or for a spicy snack!

Tammy's Spicy Pepperoni
    A spicy dense cured pepperoni recipe. This recipe is very easy to make and has that authentic pepperoni taste.
    Yield: 2 pounds of pepperoni
    Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef (85% lean or leaner)
    2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons mustard seed
    1 1/2 or 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed*
    1 or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper**
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    2 heaping teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick curing salt
    Instructions:

1. Combine seasonings and meat and mix thoroughly, using hands. Cover and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.

2. Form meat into two long logs or rolls. Place a rack (or pan/sheet with drainage) on a cookie sheet and put the logs onto rack. Bake at 200 degrees for 8 hours, rotating logs every 2 hours.

3. Logs will be a bright pink when they are finished, and should be fairly dry and firm. Wipe off excess grease and allow meat to cool. Chill and then slice thinly. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.

Additional Notes:

*I crushed mine with a rolling pin; it wasn't extremely crushed, but that's okay: it doesn't need to be very fine.

**Use more if you like hotter pepperoni; use less if you want a milder flavor
    Preparation Time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes, plus slicing
    Cooking Time: 8 hours

False
    Photobucket
  • RE: HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI
    Hi Fancy,
    Now this sounds like something I could really get into making and lots of it!
    My DD loves Pepperoni and eats it on anything!
    Printing it up and going to go check out the web-site you posted!
    Thank you!
    Jackie
    False
    When I ate meat I made several sausages like this and they were delicious. I'm copying this one to make for the rest of my family. Thank you.
    chefly
    False
    bumping this back up.
    Brenda
    False
    Photobucket
    Thank you fancyb.
    I recently saw a recipe on the BB for a bread machine pizza dough by a lady named maddymoo. I think I will make some of your pepperoni, then try the pizza dough to make pizza.
    Your recipe sounds really good.

Tater
    False
    Thanks, fancyb.

This sounds real good. I'll probably half the recipe for us.

Marilyn
    False
  • Re: RE: HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI

Bump

False
  • Re: HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI

Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. Who doesn't like pepperoni? When the kids are around, pepperoni is a staple in our house.

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'

Thanks for the repost FancyB, I was just coming on to post it for miss ellie. Ihad printed it jout and forgot to put it inot my favorites so I was gonna have to type it all again. LOL You sure ssaved me a lot of typing. Love ya! Deonia

False
  • Re: RE: HOMEMADE SPICY PEPPERONI

Teah Tater, I remembered it when I was reading and copying the "thin crust" pizza recipe.Big Smile Made me want to try it. Whover makes it first, please post a review on it. It's gonna be a while before i can get around to it.

False

I have everything ready to make this, as soon as I get the kitchen cleaned DH and I are going to mix it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Judy

False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Judy, give us a review onit when you make it. OK? I was reading the comments on the site ( tammy's recipes) and one lady said she made it for gifts. I think it would be a great gift to someone, especially for Christmas. i'm looking into the food safe shrink wrap to make these.
    False

Bumping this back up. Added photo's, in my original post. As how to make it.

Brenda

False
    Photobucket

I wonder how this would turn out if I skipped the liquid smoke and cooked this in my smoker instead of the oven?

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”

Brenda, That is very, very interesting.  I have never seen a recipe for pepperoni before ~  We don't eat this often. but when we do we certainly enjoy it ~  Looks very easy to make ~  Just takes time ~  Thanks for sharing ~  Love the step by step ~   Janie Coffee

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.