How much turkey to feed 35 people | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much turkey to feed 35 people

Last post Sep 19, 2007 11:19 AM by justyouandme20002001 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • How much turkey to feed 35 people
    How much turkey would one need to feed about 35 people? I have been cooking just the turkey breasts as most of the people prefer the white meat and now can't figure out how much one needs. I would say so far I have cooked/baked about 20 pounds. There will be other food but turkey is the main meat. Thank you.
    False
  • RE: How much turkey to feed 35 people
    Hi 121012,

go to butterball.com
    They have a turkey calculator to figure it out.

www.butterball.com/en/main_canvas.jsp?includePage=prep_calculator.jsp&t=Turkey+Calculator&s0=plan... - 19k

If this link doesnt work, just type in butterball.com and type in turkey calculator in their search ion the web page.
    Jackie
    False
    googled your wording and found one site that said....4-6 oz turkey breast per person, if it's thanksgiving then most will eat 2-3 oz turkey breast and you will have leftovers if you plan on 4-6 oz per person...

this was just turkey breasts....not the whole bird....

I don't cook a whole bird either....can't stand dark meat...I am having around 15 for thanksgiving and I will do 2 large turkey breasts...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Consider doing whole birds.

With 35 people coming, you can bet some people will prefer dark meat. In my family, the dark meat has as many fans as the white.

And quite hosestly, I don't think one turkey will be enough. Maybe one 15 lb. whole bird, and a couple of turkey breasts. That way everyone will be happy, and you'll have some leftovers for sandwiches. YUM!
    False

I might be wrong since this is from memory but I thought it was 1 lb per person. That takes into consideration all the bone, skin, etc. that isn't eaten. Check the Butterball site to be certain.
    chefly
    False
    Thanks for all the help. Never thought about going to butterball website so will do that. You all are making this so much easier for me.
    Nettie
    False
    Chefly I think it is more like 1/4 lb.....l lb is a lot of meat...good luck with cooking your birds...
    False
    My money's on Chefly. I recently saw a recipe that started with a whole chicken, 4 - 5 pounds, and there was no talk of leftover meat. At the end of the recipe, it said, "...serves 4". Then I got to thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure I could eat a whole chicken. It might take me all day, but I bet I could do it. Lynn in Cabot
    False
    http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=56&id=641
    False
    1 pound per person if a whole turkey.
    False
    Lynn...does that include the elusive wings? lol
    Liz
    False