Rec: Apple Peel Jelly | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec: Apple Peel Jelly

Last post Sep 23, 2007 4:54 PM by bonnieq . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Rec: Apple Peel Jelly
    Apple Peel Jelly

4 c firmly packed apple peels
    5 c water
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1 tbsp lemon juice

In covered stainless steel saucepan, bring peels and water to boil. Reduce heat: uncover; simmer 20 minutes to extract color and flavor. Strain through jelly bag of cheesecloth.(Do not squeeze or you'll have cloudy jelly). Measure juice (you should have about 2 cups); return to same saucepan. Stir in sugar and lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook rapidly, uncovered, stirring reaches 220º on candy thermometer or jelly runs off cool metal spoon in a sheet, remove saucepan from heat. Pour immediately into 2 sterilized 6 oz jelly jars. Kim off foam; cover; cool;store in refrigerator. For longer storage, seal at once with 1/8" layer melted paraffin; cover with lid. Stor in cool dark place. Makes 2 6 oz. jars.

BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

• RE: Rec: Apple Peel Jelly
    This looks good. I have just been given 2 and a half bushels of apples so I will be trying this. Thanks BJ. Chris
    False
    You're welcome Chris.
    BJ
    False

BJ, If you have to buy the apples, they dont grow around hsere to get from a farm, from a dealer or the store, what do you do about the wax, on them? or whatever they put on produce to keep it fresh longer. I'm pretty sure apples we get here in produce dept are waxed.
    False
    I would use Fit on them and wash them good.
    BJ
    False

bumping for Snowlandcook.
    BJ
    False

LOL OK, what's FIT? inquiring minds wanna know.
    False
    It's a fruit and vegetable spray. You'll find it in the fresh vegetable section of the grocery store. Ask them they'll know. It cleans fruits and vegetables and is all natural.
    BJ
    False