???PULLED PORK FOR 100??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

???PULLED PORK FOR 100???

Last post Oct 03, 2007 3:24 AM by mammawgof10 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • ???PULLED PORK FOR 100???
    Can anyone tell me how many pounds of porl (and what kind) I would need to make pulled pork for sandwiches for 100 people?

Thanks in advance.
    Jan
    False
  • RE: ???PULLED PORK FOR 100???
    40 pounds of raw meat should result in 20 to 25 pounds cooked product. Going heavier on the raw meat would result in "beefier" sammies.

Should get you close to 100.

Good luck.
    False
    Didn't see the what kind.

Boston Butt would be a logical choice.
    False
    North Carolina Pork Barbecue

10 lbs. pork shoulder or Boston blade roasts
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes
    1&1/2 cups vinegar
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 tablespoons crushed red pepper

Line insert pan of an electric roaster with aluminum foil. Place pork in insert pan. Cover and set roaster temperature at 325°F. You can also bake this in the oven, I would use a cooking bag.
    In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients. Stir to mix and break up whole tomatoes.
    Pour tomato/vinegar mixture over pork. Cook for 3 hours or until meat falls away from bone. Remove meat and slice or mince. Serve with sauce pork was cooked with.
    Yield: 24 servings.
    Note: Use kitchen shears to cut tomatoes while still in the can. There's less squirting and mess. Cut a little or a lot depending on how much you want to break up the tomatoes.
    Substitution:
    Though any type of vinegar can be used, cider vinegar has a more mellow
    flavor than white vinegar.

False
    Better yet, find your friendly neighborhood smoker and see if he'd/she'd be willing to smok 'em up for you.

Buy five 10 lb. butts, use 4 and give one to the person smoking them. That and a case of beer might go a long way.

That's good eats!
    False
    I just had over a 100 people for a party and served pulled pork. I went to Sam's (Costco has it too) for my pork shoulders. They have it in sealed plastic 2 large roasts per pkg very reasonably priced. I bought 2 pkgs (roasts) and had plenty to serve. I roasted them on a low temp in my nesco roaster overnight,shredded them in the morning, added my barbecue sauce and froze it in zip lock bags about a week before the party. Thawed them out and put it back in the nesco to reheat about 3 hours before the party and people loved it. Good luck.
    False
    40 lbs. of loin will work great. I buy them at 1.79 a lb., then trim the fat, cut them into 1 inch slices, cover with favorite BBQ sauce, (no water) then use crock pot on LOW (never high) for 7-8 hours. Shred with fork. You'll have to run 4 crock pots full. After it is cooked, I sauce it with alot of sauce until I get it the way we like it.( you may need to drain some of the juice so it won't dilute the sauce) What I do is I run two crock pots a day for 2 days, then put the meat in an electric roaster liner in the refrigerator until I need to serve it. I warm it in the roaster for about 2 hours prior to serving. Stir it so it doesn't get dry around the edges. I have people rave about my BBQ. I have a smoker, but it's too small for this big of a group and if you use some liquid smoke, no one except the true die hards will even notice.
    False
    Thank you everybody!!!

Jan
    False
    Do you know anyone who owns a restaraunt/cafe/deli? Foodservice suppliers like SYSCO and Nicholas have a pre-shredded smoked pork that is really good. The price should be about the same as what you would purchase in the grocery store. Maybe they could order it for you.
    False
    Attn: aubie2

Very cool.
    Thank You!!!!!!!
    False
    For my cousin's wedding receptio they had a whole pig smoked. the fixings were provided and I don't know what it looked like to start with, but the end result was quite impressive.
    Debbie
    False