Starter for Everlasting Yeast bread | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Starter for Everlasting Yeast bread

Last post Jan 05, 2012 12:59 AM by nanny2054 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Starter for Everlasting Yeast bread
    I have the recipe for the bread but have lost my starter. I've no idea where the lady who gave this to me lives now. Do any of you happen to have this and can find it in your heart to share?This is the easiest and most somple recipe I have ever tried and so good! This is the bread recipe:
    Everlasting Yeast bread
    Pour starter in bowl & stir till smooth.Cover with plastic wrap and clean cloth.let set overnight (at least 8 hrs) Stir down. Put 1C mixture back in clean jar. Cover with 1/2C sugar & return to frig. Do not stir!! Sound familiar?
    False
  • RE: Starter for Everlasting Yeast bread
    I can continue with the recipe if any of you want to see it. Simple but not worth a hoot without the starter!
    False
    Is this close?

Title: Basic Sourdough Starter
    Categories: Bread, Mixes
    Yield: 1 Servings

2 c All-purpose Flour
    1 t Salt
    3 T Sugar
    1 T Dry Yeast
    2 c Lukewarm water

With a wooden spoon, stir dry ingredients together in a large mixing
    bowl and gradually add luke-warm water. Stir until mixture resembles
    a smooth paste. Cover with a towel or cheesecloth and set in a warm
    place - 85 degF (30 degC) - to sour. Stir mixture several times a
    day. In 2 or 3 days sourdough will be ready. Store in a heavy
    plastic container, with a hole punched in lid to allow gases to
    escape.

To make a batter for a favorite sourdough recipe, take out 1 cup
    sourdough starter and combine with 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup
    lukewarm water.
    Mix well with a wooden spoon. Don't worry about lumps in mixture,
    fermentation will dissolve them within a few hours. Cover with a
    towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm location several hours or
    overnight. Before adding additional ingredients to recipe, return at
    least 1/2 cup of mixture to sourdough container stored in
    refrigerator to replenish starter.

If starter is not replenished in this manner at least once a week,
    add 1/2 cup each of lukewarm water and all-purpose flour to container
    of sourdough. Mix together; leave out of refrigerator overnight,
    covered with a towel or plastic wrap. Next morning stir down
    mixture, cover with lid and return to refrigerator until needed.

Occasionally pour all of sourdough starter out into a mixing bowl.
    Wash container to remove flour buildup. To replinish, add equal
    portions of flour and water, cover, let stand in a warm - 85 degF (30
    degC) - location overnight.

If starter does not seem as bubbly after continued use, sprinkle with
    small amount of dry yeast and mix well. This is also recommended if
    thawed frozen starter does not resume its former bubbly appearance.
    If clear liquid forms on top of mixture, simply stir down and
    continue to use as needed.

Posted by: spudneck Posted on: 4/28/2002
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Maybe this will help also.

Posted by: spudneck Posted on: 4/28/2002

I found a great site for bread. Their address is http://www.our-daily-bread.com/

The address to take you directly to the recipe http://www.our-daily-bread.com/recipes/basic.htm.

Hope that you find the one you want. I have also lost my starter recipe from a friend so know how special it was.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Everlasting Yeast Starter Recipe No. 1
    one medium potato (peeled)
    4 cups water
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    Boil potato in the unsalted water until done. Drain, but save the water. Mash potato then add sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm, add enough potato water to make one quart of mixture. Cover and set in a warm place and let ferment. If you like, you can add a package of "boughten" yeast to speed up the process, but it will be just as good if allowed to ferment without the yeast. This recipe is about right for a large family requiring more than one loaf at a baking.
    Recipe No. 2
    one potato (about the size of a large hen egg)
    3/4 cup potato water
    2 Tbsp. sugar flour
    Boil potato, drain and save potato water (unsalted). Mash potato well, and then add potato water, sugar and enough flour to make a fairly stiff batter or soft dough. Keep in a warm place until well fermented. Then put in a wide mouth jar and cover loosely--never use a tight fitting lid. In about five or six days it should be ready.Old-fashioned Light Bread from Everlasting Yeast StarterIn order to make bread from the starter first set the sponge. To do this, use the following ingredients:
    Starter
    1-1/2 cups potato water or sweet milk
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    flour
    Get a large bowl and put the starter, potato water or sweet milk (heated to a little more than lukewarm), sugar and enough flour to make a stiff batter. Beat well, cover loosely and set over night in a warm place. The next morning the mixture should be nice and bubbly. If it isn't, no use going any further. You'll have a flop!
    If the sponge is bubbly, take out of this mixture the starter you want to keep for the next time you make bread. Put it in a wide mouth jar and Put in refrigerator. You'll probably want a lid on it because the odor will transfer to other foods but don't put it on too tightly.
    False

Verna 1 just noticed that you are new to the board. Just wanted to make sure and welcome you today and do hope that you will come back often.

Here is another one I found.

EVERLASTING YEAST
    Thanks to Beth from Colorado I now have the
    recipe for Everlasting Yeast made 100 years or
    so ago.
    Use glass container
    1 qt. potato water or 1 qt. water + 1 T. potato flakes
    1/2 cake yeast
    2 T. sugar
    2 T. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    Mix well and let stand covered with net at room temperatre
    for 12 hours. Leave about 1/3 cup in bottle.
    Use the rest when you make bread, don/t need extra liquid with
    this yeast. To the 1/3 cup starter, add all the orginal
    ingredients except the yeast. Let stand again
    for 12 hours then store in refrigerator until needed.
    This can be kept going indefinitely, if you use it every
    3 to 4 weeks.

Nancy
    False

Thanks for the info.and the greeting. I didn't have the recipe for the starter- it was given to me but for reasons beyond my control it died. A sad day indeed. I have no clue as to how to post the bread recipe - which might give you a hint of what I need. The recipe is so simple and the starter didn't need to be given attention. I will do some detective stuff and see if I can locate any of the family and hope for info of some kind. I enjoy reading the chats and finally had nerve enough to post.Perhaps again!
    False
  • Re: RE: Starter for Everlasting Yeast bread

Could you please continue with your bread recipe.  I am trying to find the same everlasting yeast recipe you described.  I got my first starter years ago from a dear Aunt in Oklahoma who has since passed.  I was only 13 then and made bread every Saturday morning for my family. I did not keep my starter going and would sure like to have it back again.  So if you finally get it, please pass it along with your bread recipe.  Thanks

False

Oh I would really appreciate it.  Maybe someone will have the info. we both are looking for.  Thanks so much.

False

Hi Verna1... Welcome to the board!

I have a starter that was started in 1867. That makes it 142 years old and I have had it for 43 years. It is a milk starter where you add warm milk and flour the night before the day you want to use it. It makes delicious bread, pancakes, waffles and awsome cinnamon rolls. It is so easy to use if you can remember to mix it up the night before. I will be drying some to send to another poster and if you would like to try this one I would be more than happy to share. If you are interested send me your address.

False
     Click for Kenai, Alaska Forecast
  • Re: Starter for Everlasting Yeast bread

I have the everlasting yeast bread starter ingredients but not sure what to do. 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 cake of yeast. I think you mix it up and let stand overnight at least 8 hours. then pour mixture in large mixing bowl and add 1 cup water and 1 1/2 cups flour. Stir until smooth . Cover with plastic wrap and sish cloth. Let stand overnight at least 8 hours. Stir down . Put 1 cup mixture back into clean jar. cover with 1/2 cup sugar. Return to refrigerator. Do Not Stir. Then continue on with your bread recipe. I hope this is helpful.

False