Creasy Greens | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Creasy Greens

Last post May 05, 2009 10:01 PM by dianajean . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Creasy Greens
    It's the season for creasy greens here in WV. Anyone ever cook them? If you haven't, you don't know what you're missing.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
  • RE: Creasy Greens
    Never heard of them, do tell more.
    False
    Well, I have family in WV but never heard of them, either. What are they?
    False
    Please tell us!
    False
    Creasy greens are sowed in August or Sept. and harvested January-April in my area. They look like water cress and taste a little like spinach. They are wonderful and we look forward to eating them just like we do ramps this time of year. I was lucky enough to find some at my favorite fruit and vegetable market today. You cook them like collards, kale or spinach. They take a long time to cook, so I cooked them today for dinner tomorrow. I'll serve them with pork shoulder steaks, hash brown casserole and cornbread.
    False
    I had forgotten all about eating creasy greens. Now, I will be wanting some. Guess, I will just have to pull a bag of collards out of the freezer from my dad's garden!

KY Kate
    False
    Good morning Ky Kate. Please tell me how you freeze collards or any other greens. May want to do that this year.
    False
    We love creasy green but you don't find them in the stores around here. As a child I hated them and had to eat them (the clean-plate theory of parenting); now I love them and can't find them. Life ain't fair!
    False
    creasy greens!! I haven't heard them mentioned in years! I had forgotten about them,being born and raised in WV.,we ate a lot of them as kids and I sure wasn't too thrilled about that,but now I sure would like to taste them again,are they called by any other name,maybe I can find them in my grocery store here?

~teapots~
    False
    Hi

I like creecy greens, too. I thought I had a can in the pantry, and sure enough I had one can. I get a few cans when I go to NC for a visit.

I did find this web site where you can buy them, if anybody is interested.

~Judy~

Creecy Greens
    False
    LOL! I thought it was a typo for "Greasy Greens" and that you wanted help de-greasing!!! LOL!
    Never heard of them, either!
    Ellen
    False
    Not a typo. I think both spellings are correct. I spelled like it is on the can. :-)

~Judy~
    False
    Hi. We could not wait for our Mom to take us in the early spring "pickin" creasy greens along with several other wild greens.......was so good and our first "fresh" meal after eating out of the can all winter.
    In Rose Hill Va you can buy cans of creasy greens at Grabell's Grocery. I buy a case every spring.....
    False
    BaileyvilleWV,

You freeze them just like any other green. Wash and strip (for collards), blanch, and put into freezer bags. When you cook them, you will add your side meat, salt, and pepper. We have cooked them until they were almost done and then frozen. Blanched works better.

Kate
    False
    This is the first time I have ever heard of Creasy Greens. Isn't it fun to learn of different foods from different parts of our country.
    I live in Texas now but was born in Oklahoma and in the spring we use to go Polk hunting. Then there was the dandelion greens and mustard greens.
    That was always a fun day out. Being a child DM or DGM always had to check my bags pretty close. Sometimes a few weeds got in!!LOL

Nancy
    False