How do you drain frozen (thawed) spinach? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you drain frozen (thawed) spinach?

Last post Apr 06, 2004 11:22 AM by Lou_FL . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • How do you drain frozen (thawed) spinach?
    In several recipes, it says to thaw the frozen chopped spinach, drain and squeeze dry? Do you use paper towels or what? I have decided there is no way to get the spinach DRY... I suppose they mean squeeze out as much water as possible? Anyway, when I use paper towels, the spinach pieces stick to them.

Any other ideas or am I going about this in the right way?
    False

• RE: How do you drain frozen (thawed) spinach?
    Just use a clean dishtowel. Put it in there, close it and wring it out!
    False
    Sorry messed that one up! Kids are yelling again! What I meant to say was put the spinach in the clean towel, gather it up, grasping the bottom of the towel, squeeze and all of the juice will come out! Make sure you do it over the sink! Take care! Hope this helps!
    Jackie
    False
    I drain and squeeze and it has never failed.
    False
    i put mine in a strainer until it is defrosted...then take small handfuls at a time and really give it a good squeeze!...It is a pretty cold job, but it works!
    False
    I do mine like Goldybear does, with my bare hands, one handfull at a time. If you put in in a cloth or paper towel it sticks to it and you loose some of your spinach, and its messy to clean up. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

At the TOH cooking school the other night, the home economist put hers in a potato ricer and squeezed the dickens out of it and all the water came right out. If you have one (I have never bothered with it) it should work. Good luck.
    False
    I also put mine in a potato ricer! Works great!
    False

I put mine in a strainer and using a piece of wax paper push out the juice.
    False
    I bought a potato ricer just to dry spinach! We love spinach and so many recipes call for it to be dry. After years of using paper towels and dish cloths, I bought the ricer. I recommend it if you use a lot of spinach - it is not very expensive, and it makes it quick and easy.
    False
    I put my thawed spinach in my colander then I have a glass bowl that is a tiny bit smaller that I set inside and squish down until the spinach is as dry as I can get it.
    False
    Ditto on the porato ricer--works great. Oh--it also works great on making the best mashed potatoes!!
    False
    Another vote for bare hands as this works the best. I do wash my hands first though

Lou
    False