Red and White Checkered Cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Red and White Checkered Cookbook

Last post Apr 16, 2004 5:07 PM by BobbieS . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Red and White Checkered Cookbook
    Does anyone have the Red and White Checkered Cookbook. I think it is Better Homes. We lost our home in a fire in January and I can't locate my old trusty cookbook. It was probably published in the late 70's. I am looking for a meatloaf recipe from it. It was in the section Easy oven meals. It is shown in a colored picture in that section. Does anyone have that old book and can give me the recipe. Thanks in advance!
    Bobbie
    False
  • RE: Red and White Checkered Cookbook
    I have a Betty Crocker cookbook, but am not sure what year it was published. Do you know the name of the recipe???? Here is what is in the index:

Beef Mushroom Loaf
    Applesauce Beef Loaf
    Berry-Glazed loaf
    Favorite Meat Loaf
    Italian meatloaf
    Meat Loaf Florentine
    Twin meat loaf

Mary
    False
    Beef Mushroom Loaf-That's it you are a doll!
    False
    The one you are looking for is it the bef mushroom loaf?

Beef mushroom Loaf
    1 can mushrooms choppe
    milk
    1 slightly beaten egg
    1 1/2 tsp worcesteshire sauce
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    dah pepper
    1 1/2 cups bread crunbs
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    2 tblsp ketchup
    1 tbls light corn syrup
    Drain chopped mushrooms reserving liquid. Add enough milk to liquid to make 1/2 cup. In mixing bowl, combine liquid,egg,worcestershire sauce,seasonings and breadcrumbs. Let stand 5 minutes.Stir in beef and chopped mushroom mix thoroughly. Shape into loaf in a 13x9x2 baking pan.Bakein a moderate (350) oven for 1 hour.
    Combine ketchup and corn syrup brush on loaf and bake 15 minutes longer.
    This is the one I found on page 42 easy oven meals
    False
    I have the newer version (1999) where they tried to be more healthy :)
    My mom has the one you want, but she's not online. I'm sure someone here will come up with the recipe before I talk to her!
    This one I have has options for almost all the ingredients. If you want it just say the word!
    Karen
    False
    Wow, how fast! That is it! My husband will be so pleased! Thank you all, I really appreciate it!
    False
    That was fast for a reply!! I am glad you found the recipe you wanted!!
    False
    Hi Bobbie,

I have Red & White checkered cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens). This is the recipe in my book:

MEAT LOAF
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons snipped parsley
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground sage
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1/4 cup catsup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine eggs and milk; stir in cumbs, onion, parsley, salt, sage, and pepper. Add beef; mix well. Pat into a 5 1/2 -cup ring mold; unmold in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. (or, pat mixture into an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; bake for 1 1/4 hours.) Spoon off excess fat. Combine catsup, sugar, and mustard; spread over meat. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: Prepare meat as above, except pat into a 5 1/2-cup ring mold and invert into a 9- or 10-inch nonmetal pie plate; remove mold. (Do not use a loaf pan.) Cover with waxed paper. Cook in a countertop microwave oven on high power 12 to 13 minutes or till done; give dish a quarter-turn every 3 minutes. Spoon off excess fat. Combine catsup, sugar, and mustard; spread over meat. Let stand 5 minutes, transfer to a platter.
    False
    Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciated the fast answers! We just got done dinner and what a "warm" feeling with that old recipe. It was great to have again even though we aren't back in our house yet. Thanks again.
    False