Dumb ?#1 Remove skin from ham? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dumb ?#1 Remove skin from ham?

Last post Apr 19, 2004 4:04 PM by LindaV . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Dumb ?#1 Remove skin from ham?
    TOH recipe calls for a1/2 fully cooked ham ,bone in. The 1st step is to remove the skin.HOW??
    False
  • RE: Dumb ?#1 Remove skin from ham?
    With a knife!
    False
    Do they mean the fatty stuff? I don't think of ham having a skin, unless I get a butt or shank portion with all that fat.....I would ask the same question!

Amy
    False

Well I assumed a knife would be used, I just can't imagine doing it without losing half the ham and making a mess of it. I was hoping there might be a trick to it.
    False
    I don't know what they mean. It just says to remove the skin.
    False
    The recipe I am refering to is Baked Ham with Cumberland Sauce from The Best of TOH The 1st Ten Years ( page 264). After you remove the skin, you are supposed to score it, then rub mustard etc. into the fatty portion.If the fatty portion is still there, what skin are they talking about?
    False
    i also remove the skin.....
    False
    Hi, I cut the brownish skin type stuff and a lot of the fat too, just be careful with the knife, I slice away from me and my came out really good, I hate all the fat and the tough skin..Shirley
    False
    The 'skin' they're referring to is simply that dark, tough outer layer of the ham. Some people remove it, some don't. I usually don't until AFTER the ham is baked because it holds in moisture. I've found that removing the skin before baking produces drier meat.
    False