Homemade Evaporated Milk? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homemade Evaporated Milk?

Last post Sep 25, 2011 10:54 AM by kgmom . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Homemade Evaporated Milk?
    Does anyone know how to do this? I'd like to try it but don't have the slightest idea as to where to start! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks,
    CrockPotAudge
    False
  • RE: Homemade Evaporated Milk?
    I have never tried this, but here's a recipe:

EVAPORATED MILK

1 c. whole milk
    2/3 c. sugar
    3 tbsp. butter, melted
    1/3 c. boiling water
    Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients in a pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Makes 2 cups - use in your favorite recipe.

False
    The recipe above is for Sweetened Condensed Milk. Evap has no sugar. Sorry I can't help!
    False
    That's okay, I'm glad to have a sweetend condensed recipe, too. Thanks!
    CrockPotAudge
    False
    I found this already posted awhile ago.

Evaporated Milk (to make 1 can about 12 oz.)

Whip until smooth
    1 cup nonfat dry milk
    1 3/4 cups warm water
    Keep refrigerated
    False
    Thanks, AuntBB! I will be sure to try this!
    Blessings,
    CrockPotAudge
    False
  • Re: RE: Homemade Evaporated Milk?
    Cool recipe but this is for making Sweetened Condensed Milk. Evaporated Milk is made commercially by a vacuum process which doesn't cook the milk. It is possible to make evaporated milk using a pressure cooker but it will not taste the same as the canned variety because this method also cooks the milk. I make my coffee creamer from whole unpasteurized raw milk using the pressure cooker method. Fill a stainless steel pressure cooker 1/2 full of whole milk. Lock the lid and bring to a boil. When the cooker whistles three times turn off the heat and let the pressure dissipate naturally. When the cooker has cooled remove the lid and voila, evaporated milk. It will not taste the same as the canned but I like it better.
    False

Way Cool Dave, I'm going to try this out just for the experience. I know i'll not be able to get unpasteurized milk around here anywhere, so , can I use milk from the store?Confused

False
  • Re: Homemade Evaporated Milk?

I've used this for years:  12 oz water mixed with 1/3 c. dried skim milk powder.

False

This is a great site.  On it it has Products to make with Powdered Milk

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/powderedmilk.htm

False
    License
    I just tried a new method for making evaporated milk using pasteurized homogenized organic whole milk. Here is how I did it: 2 quarts of the whole milk in a double boiler. Heat the milk uncovered with the water boiling vigorously. Reduce the milk by 1/2. Cool Pour into a clean glass jar and cover tightly. Yummmmmm! I had to add water to the boiler three times to achieve a 50% reduction. The end result is evaporated milk that tastes just like the canned variety without having the issues of constant stirring, scorched milk, and very little scum to skim off. I mostly use mine as coffee creamer but next time I have a recipe that calls for evaporated milk I can reach in my fridge and measure out what I need. Enjoy.
    False
    Hi Deonia, Sure and I just made a new post with the double boiler method I tried yesterday as an experiment. It works well and makes evaporated milk that tastes like the canned variety. Bon Appetit. :-)
    False
    Evaporated milk is concentrated or reduced milk. To reconstitute evaporated milk back to regular milk it is diluted with an equal amount of water. With this in mind it is easy to make evaporated milk from milk powder. Just double the ratio of powder to water. For the authentic taste full-cream whole milk powder should be used but skimmed could be used at a pinch. No milk powder? Simply reduce whole milk by half in a bain-marie (double-boiler). Voila!
    False

Anyone have any idea if this could be done in a slow cooker?  

False