Grouper???....What does it taste... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Grouper???....What does it taste...

Last post Aug 01, 2004 6:59 AM by Cittie . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Grouper???....What does it taste...
    Like?

We just had some fresh grouper given to us by our neighbor and we've never had it before. Can anyone tell me what it taste like or how to cook it?

Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Grouper???....What does it taste...
    I like it, but I like fish. You can bake, grill, fry,or stuff it. I have it baked & stuffed with crab meat. If you are going to fry it you can mix any seasonings you like in the flour.

I soak my fish fresh fish in salt water(draws the blood out, kills any bacteria). Rinse well before cooking. I have also seen on food tv where they soak the fish in milk. Fresh fish should never have a strong or "fishy" taste.

I hope you enjoy your Grouper!!
    False
    Thanks Halibut!
    False
    Grouper is my very favorite fish!! Here are 3 of my favorite recipes for cooking grouper.
    FISH DELMONICO
    This is my favorite way to prepare fish!!!
    2 lbs. fish fillets (I use talipia or orange roughy, grouper is my favorite but usually too expensive)
    1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon grated fresh onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 tsp. Tobasco (or more to taste)
    dash pepper
    fresh chopped parsley

Cut fillets into serving size portions and place in a well greased 12x7 1/2x2 inch baking dish. Combine butter, lemon juice, onion and seasonings and pour over fish. Bake in a moderate oven, 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
    SERVES 6
    ** I love this served with boiled parsley potatoes, cranberry sauce, cole slaw, and cornbread.

Bahama Grill
    1 1/2 pounds fresh fish (grouper is best, also have used talapia and orange roughy)
    2 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
    1/2 green pepper, sliced
    1/2 medium onion, sliced
    lemon pepper
    butter

This is cooked in foil on the grill. Season vegetables with lemon pepper. Place tomatoes, green pepper and onions on top of fish. Place 2 pats of butter on top. Double wrap in heavy duty foil. Place on mdedium hot grill. Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour. Yield: 4 servings
    * note if cooked in the oven this takes less time, 350degrees for approx. 25-30 minutes.

A1 FISH IN FOIL
    2 pounds fish fillets
    2 Tablespoons A1 sauce
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 lb. butter or margarine

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in A1 sauce and lemon juice. Lay fillets on heavy duty Reynolds Wrap. Brush butter sauce on fillets. Enclose loosely in foil. Bake at 350 degrees for appoximately 20 minutes. Remove from foil. Sprinkle with paprika before serving
    False
    bumping for Cittie
    False
    I do fish in foil frequently and we just love it. I add a sprig or two of Thyme and a small sprig of rosemary with the butter, lemon juice and salt and pepper. I have never tried the A1 sauce.
    False
    THanks so much for the ideas and the recipe!! We're having it for dinner tonite so will let you all know how it is!
    False
    Hi Cittie..

We ate grouper a lot in Mexico and the Bahamas. I really like it. It is a mild flavored white fish. We most often had it grilled in garlic butter...yummy!

The other recipes given all look great. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Enjoy!!

vammie
    False
    But what does Grouper taste like? Not all fish taste alike.
    We are going to a seafood restaurant tomorrow & the website says they have grouper--a Florida favorite. I hate codfish, but like perch, bream, catfish, trout, & redfish. Not too fond of flounder, either. I like trying new things so thanks if you can assist me.
    Marie
    False
    Cajunlady...this is the best fish! Very mild good texture, it kind of gives you the impression of monk fish by looking at it. Definitely try this it is very good!
    False