Bisquick biscuits turned out awful | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bisquick biscuits turned out awful

Last post Dec 04, 2013 12:17 AM by justyouandme20002001 . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Bisquick biscuits turned out awful
    Supper was almost finished and I realized I was out of bread. I followed the recipe for biscuits on the Bisquick box and although they looked great in dough form, the baked biscuits looked awful. They didn't rise and they wouldn't brown. No one ate them. But I tasted one and although it tasted better than it looked, it was tough and doughy tasting. Can you make light golden biscuits from this mix? What did I do wrong?
    False
  • RE: Bisquick biscuits turned out awful
    Was the Bisquick past the expiration date? I fixed some one time that didn't rise and that was the problem.
    Sierra
    False
    I'm the wrong one to give advice on biscuits - have never had the knack of making good biscuits. (Gave up, and buy mine in a can)!!! I would think possibly that Sierrarose is correct, check out the date of expiration. Better luck next time.
    False
    The box is a new one and still has lots of time left. I am sticking to my Bakewell's Orginial Creme Biscuits! Here is the recipe:

4 cups flour
    4 tsp Bakewell Cream
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 1/2 cup cold milk

Mix and sift dry ingredients. Add shortening and mix with pastry blender. Add milk all at once and stir quickly with a fork. (some flours may require a little more liquid to make a nice soft dough).

Turn out on floured board and knead 5 - 6 times. Roll or pat to 1/2 - 3/4 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter.

Bake at 475º for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in oven for 5 - 10 minutes until golden brown. These biscuits are extra high and light.

Bakewell Cream is a rising agent used instead of baking powder. It is hard to find if you aren't in the North but can be ordered through The Baker's Catalogue. One can last a long time.

False
    I use Bisquick all the time and they turn out great.
    Not sure what might have happened to yours.
    False
    Homestyle,

I don't have much luck with that recipe either. I really love the garlic drop biscuit recipe, it is easy and good. The recipe is on the side of the box, it says something like drop biscuit and there is a garlic variation. It is basically the same as the Red Lobster biscuit clone.

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

2 C. Bisquick
    2/3 C. milk
    1/2 C. shredded Cheddar Cheese
    1/2 C. butter or margarine, melted
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Preparation:
    Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix bisquick, milk and cheese until a soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cooking sheet. Bake 8- 10 min until golden brown. Mix butter and garlic powder. Brush mixture over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet

False
    These taste the best!

Biscuits
    Ingredients:
    2 1/4 C. Bisquick Mix
    2/3 C. Buttermilk
    1 tsp. Sugar
    1 Tbsp. Butter, melted

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix first three ingredients together, add 1 Tbsp. of the melted butter into batter. Stir ingredients until soft dough forms. Turn onto surface that has been dusted with flour. Knead 20 times, roll 1/2 inch thick, and place in an ungreased 8 by 8 cake pan. Place biscuits next to each other, when the you have placed all of them in there flatten slightly. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

To make like Popeye’s Biscuits, or KFC Biscuits prepare the same way, but brush melted butter when they are placed in the oven, and when you take the biscuits out of the oven.
    False
    I called the 800 number and was told to use bottled water in my recipe. Seems like some water is harder, softer, lots of minerals, no minerals, etc and that can affect the dough from area to area. I guess it makes sense.
    False
    That's really strange. In all the years both my DH and I have been making Bisquick biscuits they have always turned out, even in the bbq. Have you used your oven since then? Maybe the thermostat went out.
    Elizabeth
    False
    Never had a real problem with Bisquick but after trying the Pioneer Baking Mix I have never went back. It is even good for pancakes. I always put alittle oil into the mix also and both the biscuits and pancakes are light and tender.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

I always used Bisquickto make biscuits until I tried Pioneer. I love it now. I will tell you however when I have used cream in the biscuit recipes the biscuits are very dense pale and do not rise. The cream may be the problem. When I use milk or water the biscuits rise perfectly.
    False
    I too am aconvert toPioneerBiscuit Mix. Much nicer that bisquick . I use itmorefpor pancakes,they always turn outlight and fluffy,
    chelle
    False
    that's the only kind of biscuit I ever make and I have never had a problem...weird....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

We also use Pioneer Baking Mix...wouldn't switch back to Bisquick. It makes the best pancakes.

Barbara
    False
    question...did you bake them at 450 degrees like the box states???? sounds like they might not have baked long enough or hot enough...
    being doughy and all...I know if I cut them to thick they stay sorta doughy....gross...try them again and see if it's the box etc...cause it wouldn't be your cooking...LOL...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!