OT: Ceiling Fans and Sinus's | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: Ceiling Fans and Sinus's

Last post May 04, 2004 9:57 AM by nannahintx1 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • OT: Ceiling Fans and Sinus's
    A few years ago I remember my cousins wife saying she couldn't sleep with ceiling fans on because it dried out her sinus's and always gave her a headache.

I almost always wake with a headache and yes, we run a ceiling fan or a fan of some sort. I did notice when I run a fan that just hits the lower part of my body and doesn't reach my face, I don't seem to wake with the headaches.

Do any of you have this problem or is this just a coincidence?

Ever since I was a kid I've always had a fan going, even in the winter. I like the air moving. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to try to learn to sleep without a fan going.
    False
  • RE: OT: Ceiling Fans and Sinus's
    what a coincidence! I have been having sinus problems all winter long and I JUST talked to my doctor about it last week. Turns out ceiling fans, box fans and also space heaters (even turned on the lowest setting) dries out your sinuses, clogs your sinuses and makes it more apt for harmful bacteria to harvest causing headaches and eventual sinus infections. Nasal sprays to clear the sinuses are harmful if used more than a day or 2 and over the counter sinus meds can be helpful for the headache but you can become so used to using them that after awhile you can become perpetually clogged. She recommended to me an air filter in the house or the type that fits on the furnace in the fall and winter months to clean the air. Also said that regular plain saline nasal sprays are not harmful and they moisten the sinus passages and keep the harmful bacteria out, so I just bought some of that. So in a nutshell, yes that fan can be causing those headaches!
    False
    I have also notice that i get up with a headache and my nose is so dry when i sleep under the ceiling fan.Thanks for the info.I will try it a night or 2 without the fan a see if it makes a differents.

~Cubbybear~
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    CK..I had the same problem. My compromise to the situation was to get a small oscillating (sp) fan and put it farther away from our bed, so that it doesn't blow directly on you. It keeps the air moving, but doesn't clog up your head. Might be worth a try to see if it works for you too.

Weezerly
    False
    oh the other thing - the doc said to sleep with the window open, even a little bit in the dead of winter if you can stand it because then the air keeps refreshing in your bedroom and you arent breathing in stale stagnant air.
    False
    I don't know about everyone else, but one of my least-favorite housekeeping chores is dusting the blades of the ceiling fans. Thus, I don't do it very often - don't even think about dusting the blades. Yet, when I do, it is embarrassing! And when changing to a faster speed, it will fling off the dust. I have found by dusting off the blades more often, we don't have near the sinus problems.

If you have a "whole house" or an "exhaust fan" and turn it on at night to cool down the house -- be careful if you sleep with the windows open,--it draws in the pollen!!
    False
    "BeancounterCe"
    Hi, I use to sleep with the ceiling fan on at night, I had to quit doing it, Coz of sinus problems. During the Summer months, It doesn't seem to bother me as much. I don't open the windows, But we leave our air on.
    Debbie
    False
    Hate those dust buggies, (not bunnie).
    I think for myself my NOT opening the window at day or at nite would keep out the pollen and by keeping the air conditioning on ,but most of all vacumming under the beds, & the bedroom rug more often & dusting the bedroom furniture. We spend more hrs,in the bedroom then anyother room in the house. Oh, I hope I will be bronkitis free this spring! Hits me at the fall season also.
    Thanks good health topic.

Paula
    False
    Yes for sure ceiling fans can cause a nasty sinus headache They have done it to me for many years. And DH will sometimes wait until I am asleep and sneak it on. You know the old story its all in your head. Well hes right and that head is killing me when I wake up!!
    So I just sleep with a pillow over My head and that helps some unless it comes off during the night. Do try to make sure the blades are dusted weekly. Have a long thingy for that.
    The pollen here in our part of Tex. is really a problem and that can make your sinus problem really go wild.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Who would have thout!! WE both like the fan on at night and both have problems. I have started pointing the floor fan away so it moves the air. We have always used the ceiling fan but ours is shot and since we ar fixing to put sheet rock on the ceiling we haven't
    changed the fan yet. I do leave a window open since our nights ar in the 50's but soon it will be 100 and I don't want to wast the air conditioner. Everything needs dusted in this old house. Must make som kinds of changes.
    Evelyn
    False