My popcorn balls won't stick together! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

My popcorn balls won't stick together!

Last post Sep 27, 2012 2:41 PM by hageman06 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • My popcorn balls won't stick together!
    Can anyone help me?? They are a sticky mess, maybe my recipe had too much butter?
    HELP!
    False
  • RE: My popcorn balls won't stick together!
    DH and I had a popcorn shop at one time. I put your problem to him. Only thing we can think of is you might not have cooked your syrup up to a high enough temperature. They would be sticky but would keep falling apart if this was true. Or you might be trying to mold them a little too soon....might let them dry just a little while. He doesn't seem to think the butter would be the problem. If you still have trouble, let me know. ...MJ
    False
    I quit making popcorn balls because of this very problem. No matter how long I boiled the syrup, the popcorn was just sticky and seldom held a ball shape. Too messy and the end certainly didn't justify the means in my opinion! LOL
    False
    We make ours with marshmallows instead of corn syrup or sugar syrup. They always turn out soft and perfect...just too yummy and disappear way too fast...lol.

Hope you have yours figured out!
    False
    Gave up the syrup years ago(35). Use 1/2 stick or cube butter and a 16 oz bag of big marshmallows. Add a pinch of salt and 1 t. vanilla. Melt all and add 6-8 cups popped popcorn. Make into balls. YUMMMMMMM!
    Note: Keep your hands slick with shortening when making balls.
    False
    you either need to get a candy thermometer or you need to boil the syrup until it spins a thread, or you need to drop a little in a glass of cold water and feel it to see if it is hard enough to hold. Might need to try another recipe...I'll go look for one for you..BRB...Dee
    False
    ok Patty, here is the one that my kids always loved:

Popcorn Balls
    3 qts. popped corn
    6 Tblp. margarine
    3 cups miniature marshmallows
    3 Tblp. jello

*the color and flavor of jello is as you desire.
    Melt margarine, add marshmallows. Stir til thick. Add jello, stir until mixed real good. Pour over popped corn. Mix good. Form into balls with buttered hands. Makes 10 to 12 balls. Can add peanuts for extra flavor..

Dee

False
    Here is another one:

Popcorn Balls:
    1 c. brown sugar
    1 c. white sugar
    8 qt. popped corn
    1 c. sweet cream
    1/2 c. light syrup

Boil to soft ball stage. While warm, pour over popped corn. Butter hands and make into balls...

Dee

False
  • Re: My popcorn balls won't stick together!

I think I have perfected the recipe, although mine are a little on the sweet side, which is how I like them.  If you're interested, the recipe is pretty easy, and I have some tips/tricks that work for me via my blog:  http://testingtrendy123.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-perfect-popcorn-ball.html

False