ISO: Barbecue sauce for a pig roast. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: Barbecue sauce for a pig roast.

Last post May 10, 2004 8:43 AM by Marcyo56 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • ISO: Barbecue sauce for a pig roast.
    Does anyone have a good barbeque sauce for a full pig roast? Please not spicy. I am looking for something kind of sweet and tangy. this is my first time doing this, and I am hoping someone has a great sauce to share? thanks!
    False
  • RE: ISO: Barbecue sauce for a pig roast.
    Welcome to the board from Texas.
    Have never cooked a whole pig before either but have enjoyed it after its cooked.
    There are lots of great cooks on the board, so I'm sure someone will come through for you.

Nancy from Texas
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

That was suspose to be a welcome siggy!!

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Thanks so much grandma! I am hoping that someone will help me? This BB never has failed me yet! Happy Mothers day to you!!
    False
    BUMPING
    False
    PIG ROAST BARBECUE SAUCE

1 qt. prepared barbecue sauce
    2 qts. cider vinegar
    4 tbsp. salt
    1 1/2 tbsp. black pepper
    1/4 sm. bottle Worcestershire sauce
    Bay leaf
    1 tbsp. sugar
    Combine all ingredients. Boil for 2 minutes and then simmer sauce for 15 minutes. Baste roasting pig.

False
    PIG ROAST ON A SPIT

Whole suckling pig (60 lb. average)
    1 lb. black pepper
    25 to 30 garlic cloves
    Garlic powder
    Rosemary
    Salt
    10 pounds onions
    5 lbs. stuffing
    3 to 4 c. shortening
    4 ft. chicken wire
    Meat thermometer
    Needle and string
    Chopped apples and walnuts (optional)

Clean pig and dry. Cut slits in skin and insert garlic cloves.
    Coat with shortening. Prepare stuffing and combine with cut up
    onions. Add apples and walnuts to stuffing, if desired. Pack
    cavity with stuffing and stitch closed. Wrap pig in chicken wire
    lengthwise. Coat with garlic powder, rosemary, and salt, and
    pepper. Insert spit and cook 3 to 5 feet above a bed of coals 6
    to 7 hours, turning frequently. Add seasoning often. Meat is done
    when skin shows deep splits and internal temperature is 160 to 170
    degrees. Unwrap wire (which will bring most fat and skin with it)
    and serve. Optional: Pig may also be roasted in covered pit,
    turning every hour. Keep spit about 2 to 3 feet above coals.

False
    Roast Suckling Pig
    Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

Recipe Summary
    Yield: about 12 servings
    1 (15 pound) suckling pig
    Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped garlic
    1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
    1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
    Salt and fine black pepper
    3 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons cumin
    2 cups julienne onions
    6 oranges, halved
    3 limes, halved
    3 lemons, halved
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 cup white wine
    Rice and Black Bean Dressing

This recipe is a two day procedure. Make sure that your butcher thoroughly cleans the suckling pig. By cleaning inside and out and removes the eyeballs. With a knife make several cuts on the pig's skin so the skin doesn't burst during cooking. Prop the pig's mouth open with a small yam. Season the entire pig with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Place the pig in a garbage bag and tie the back tightly. Place the pig in the refrigerator and chill for 12 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and rinse thoroughly. In a mixing bowl combine the garlic, parsley, thyme, cumin, bay leaves, onions, juice of the orange, lime, lemon, olive oil and wine. Whisk the marinade until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Place the pig back in the bag and pour the marinade over the pig. Tie the back tightly and place back in the refrigerator. Turn the pig every three hours. Refrigerate the pig for 12 hours. Remove the pig from the refrigerator and out of the bag, reserve the marinade. Stuff the cavity with the stuffing. Using a kitchen needle and thread, tie up the cavity. Tie the front legs and then back legs. Cover the tail with aluminum foil. Place the pig on a large roasting pan and pour the reserved marinade over the pig. Place the pig in the oven. Roast the pig in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes per pound, about 5 hours, basting and turning the pig every hour. For unstuffed pig, roast at 350 degrees for 15 minutes per pound. Internal temperature should be about 155 to 160 degrees for both methods. Remove the pig from the oven and al
    False
    Main Dishes : Cajun Microwave

75-100 pound dressed pig

1/2 pound salt

1 12 ounce bottle TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce

60 pounds charcoal briquets

1 case beer

Barbecue sauce of choice

Have backbone of pig split so that it will lie flat, and be careful not to pierce skin. Trim and discard any excess fat. Sprinkle salt inside cavity and set pig aside. Place 20 pounds of charcoal in 55-gallon drum. Pour charcoal lighter fluid over coals and ignite. Let charcoal burn until it turns ash-gray, then spread out coals, concentrating them at shoulder and butt areas. Place heavy-gauge wire mesh about size of pig on grill, about fourteen inches from coals. Place pig flat, skin side up, on wire mesh.

Cook at 225° F for 6 hours, basting last hour with barbeque sauce and TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce.

Drink case of beer while you wait.

False
    Here's Cholly Mac saucing it down, sprinkling his homemade sauce on the meat.
    "What's in it?" I asked him.

"It's about half water an' half vinegar," he told me. "Got a little soy sauce in it an' a little cherry syrup in it. Gives it a sweet taste. Got a little Log Cabin syrup in it too. Last time we had a little tequila in it an' some beer. Ain't no measuring nothin'. Just put it in there an' swirl it around
    False
    Prepare the Seasoning:

You will need a meat injector and the following ingredients:

1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tbs. garlic juice (your choice)
    1/2 tsp. granulated garlic (not powder)
    pinch of black pepper
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    3 tsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    Prepared Mustard (the yellow stuff in a jar)
    False
    I'm probabaly late w/ this response but we've done 2 pigs over the last year and we find a simple mix of canola oil mixed w/ granulated garlic & black pepper painted on the pig on the rotissere is best, just enough flavor! Then at night after the main meal we have cut out the ribs and smaller hunks of meat THEN we add the bbq sauce! I use our favorite bottle brand w/ molasses and some hot sauce to paint on thick!
    False
    We did a pig one year and took cornish game hens and stuffed them with your favorite stuffing and then stuffed the pig with them. Put chicken wire around center of pig to keep them in. It was wonderful.
    False
    My DSDIL bbq's both whole hogs and shoulders [had a shoulder Saturday;delicious!]but always buys a gallon of sauce from a local bbq pit place.They have both mild and spicy,and make it themselves.If you have a place anywhere near your home,most of them will sell you sauce.Ours is very good and very popular. Pat
    False
    Thanks everyone for so many recipe's!! I will be up for suggestions till May 29th,which is when I will be taking on this project. I will let you know what sauce I chose and how it went. God Bless~ Marcy
    False