cornbread with creamed corn? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cornbread with creamed corn?

Last post May 13, 2004 11:37 AM by 2oreos . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • cornbread with creamed corn?

Isn't there a recipe for cornbread made with canned creamed corn?
    Seems mine is always so dry, maybe this would help......
    Thanks!

False
  • RE: cornbread with creamed corn?
    I couldn't find a recipe using creamed corn, but I know there are some out there. I think I've seen one in a recent issue of Quick Cooking. I bumped a post with bb'ers favorite cornbread recipes. Hope this helps.
    False
    Found this on the Internet.

Grandma's Creamed Cornbread
    Kwanzaa, an African-American Celebration of Culture and Cooking - Eric V. Copage

You'd have to go a long mile to find a cakier, more finely textured cornbread than this one.
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, 1/2 stick
    1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 can (8oz) creamed corn
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg, well beaten
    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into a 9-inch cake pan and bake for 5 minutes, until the cake pan is very hot.
    Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour the creamed corn, milk, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and egg into the well. Stir until smooth. Pour the batter into the hot cake pan.

Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
    Makes one 9-inch round cornbread.

False
    CREAMED CORN CORNBREAD

2 cups yellow cornmeal
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 cup creamed corn
    2 tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.

Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

Yield: 8 servings

False
    Creamed Corn Cornbread
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
    Yield: 8 servings
    2 cups yellow cornmeal
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 cup creamed corn
    2 tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.

Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

False
    Camp Cornbread

1 (8 ounce) package corn bread muffin mix
    1/3 cup milk
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 (8 ounce) can canned cream corn
    1/2 cup white sugar

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    2 Place the muffin mix a large mixing bowl. Stir in the milk and egg. Mix in the cream corn and sugar. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    3 Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of pan comes out clean.

Makes 12 servings
    This is very moist - from Allrecipes

False
    Click for Cape Coral, Florida Forecast

WOW! Thanks ya'll!
    Now I just have to make a choice....
    Interesting, several have no flour.
    It's cool (almost cold) in Kansas today so want to bake something. Have leftover ham & beans in frig.
    Thank you again for your help.

False
    This is our favorite creamed cornbread recipe. The sour cream keeps it moist, too. Also, when we make Mexican-style food, we add a 4 oz. can of diced green chilies to the batter. :O)

Chef Paula Deen's Corny Cornbread

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    Chef & Owner of Lady & Sons Restaurant
    Savannah, Georgia

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 5 Minutes
    Cook Time: 30 Minutes
    Yield: 8 Servings 

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 1/4
    cup for greasing pan
    1 cup self-rising cornmeal
    3/4 cup self-rising flour
    1 cup cream-style corn, see
    Cook's Note*
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar,
    optional
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper,
    optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously season a cast iron skillet with up to 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the stove over medium-high heat.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual size cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time.

*Cook's Note: Frozen creamed corn is sold in the frozen vegetables section of most grocery stores. It is much better than using canned corn.

Episode#: PA1B11
    False

Cool

How about the one made with yellow cake mix? That should be moist? I have seen the recipe several times but never copied it....
    False

mzfryz, YES! I even made that at least once, but years ago. It was cake mix & cornbread mix, a clone from a restaurant (Tippin's). Wonder if I could put cream corn in that too? hmmm.
    Thanks for the memory jogger.

False
    This is our favorite way to make corn bread it comes out tall in the pan, really really moist and super delicious not to mention we've handed this recipe out alot since we found it:

Cheese corn spoon bread casserole

2 eggs
    1 (12 oz.) pkg corn muffin mix (we use Krusteaz brand Honey corn bread)but jiffy works just as well
    1 (8 oz.) can cream style corn
    1 (8 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1 cup grated swiss cheese (optional) we don't always use

Preheat oven to 350^. Grease an larger round or oval casserole dish (one that's about 2-3 inches high (like the french white corningware type). In a bowl, combine eggs, corn muffin mix, both cans of corn, sour cream and melted butter. Mix well and pour into the prepared dish. Bake at 350^ for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with swiss cheese then bake an additional 10-15 minutes until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve warm, enjoy!!!
    False