R&R: Tastes Like Hostess Crumb Donuts Cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R&R: Tastes Like Hostess Crumb Donuts Cookies

Last post Nov 06, 2007 10:18 AM by chefly . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • R&R: Tastes Like Hostess Crumb Donuts Cookies
    I am at a disadvantage because I've never tasted Hostess Crumb Donuts but these are delicious. I tweaked the recipe a little because my pumpkin was thinly sliced, so I couldn't shred it. I added it to the food processor along with the dates and almonds to chop it and that made the mixture too wet so I added some ground flax and more ground almonds to dry it enough to form into balls. That did the trick. I also processed the coconut for rolling so it would stick better. Salsa, we love these, thank you.
    chefly

Posted by: salsarose Replies: 1 Posted on: 9/15/2007 6:46:43 AM
    #T887481
    Tastes Like Hostess Crumb Donuts Cookies

1 cup raw almonds
    1 cup very soft, pitted dates (chopped)
    1/2 cup finely shredded banana squash (fresh, raw pumpkin)
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    More shredded coconut for rolling
    Splash olive oil (3 to 4 Tbsp)
    Vanilla (1 tsp.)
    1-2 tbs nutmeg (1/2 tsp.)
    Sea salt

Put almonds in food processor and process to very fine pieces. Add dates, a little at a time. Add splash of olive oil, a little salt and a little vanilla. The mixture will
    look like very coarse meal at first, and then all of a sudden it will come together in one big ball. (It didn't but could be formed into balls.)

Take the big ball out of the food processor and, using your hands, mix in the shredded squash, the nutmeg and the shredded coconut until it is all mixed in. Taste and add more coconut or nutmeg if desired.

Roll the mixture into small balls, and roll in shredded coconut to cover. Place on a plate in a single layer and
    chill in the freezer until firm. After they are firm, you can put them in a container; they will keep for a very
    long time in the freezer.
    False
  • RE: R&R: Tastes Like Hostess Crumb Donuts Cookies
    Wow Chef, Very different and I have never tasted that cookie either. Completely new to me~ Thanks for the Review and Mz Salsa you are finding some very different recipes lately~ Thanks for sharing~ Janie
    False
    Janie, I bet these would work without the squash too. Just think of almond, dates and coconut flavored with some nutmeg.
    chefly
    False
    oh oh why did i go back so far -lol thank you both so much for the review an drecipe chefly and salsa!!

have a wonderful day - twinkle
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    Sounds good chefly!
    Thank-you both for the rec & rev.
    Jill
    False
    Glad I finally saw this too.Thanks for the r and r.Happy Tuesday.
    Rosie
    False

DD tried these yesterday (they store well in the refrigerator) and she also likes them.
    GM Rosie!
    chefly
    False