need recipe for pinto beans like cracker barrel that start with canned ones | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

need recipe for pinto beans like cracker barrel that start with canned ones

Last post Nov 04, 2007 10:40 PM by Frenchfried . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • need recipe for pinto beans like cracker barrel that start with canned ones
    i love the pinto beans at cracker barrel and would like to find a recipe that tastes homemade but you use the canned beans.
    False
  • RE: need recipe for pinto beans like cracker barrel that start with canned ones
    I make a bean soup that calls for dried beans, but I sometimes cheat and use canned and it still tastes homemade.
    Here's what I do, maybe you can use it as a guide:

12oz. bacon, minced and fried until crisp
    1 onion, chopped
    1/4 a med. bell pepper, chopped
    6-14oz. cans pintos, drained and rinsed well
    5- 14oz. cans chicken broth
    3 broth cans water

In a large pot, saute onion and pepper in some of the bacon grease until clear. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 45-60 minutes uncovered. Stir occasionally and add water, if needed.
    Adjust seasonings. I check for salt and usually add some pepper and garlic powder. Let it simmer 20-30 minutes longer.

They're very good and taste like you've spent all day on them.

Hope that helps:)

deb

False
  • RE: need recipe for pinto beans like cracker barrel that start with canned ones
    this recipe sounds yummy. i will try it. thanks.
    False
    Found this for you on Ask Your Neighbor.

PINTO BEANS LIKE CRACKER BARREL'S (Gloria Pitzer)

In a (2 quart) saucepan combine 2 cans (10 oz. ea.) Campbell's chicken broth with a 5 oz. can of Hormel chunk style ham (packed in water) torn into bits with forks.

FOR THE PINTO BEANS DISH:
    Add 2 cans (15 oz. ea.) undrained pinto beans to the broth/ham mixture and allow to simmer gently 15 minutes.
    (serves 6)
    False