Old 4H recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Old 4H recipe

Last post Mar 08, 2012 12:44 AM by Don_OH . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • Old 4H recipe
    When I was young and in my 1st or 2nd year of 4H cooking. We did a skillet dish that had hamburger, corn and cheese on top. For some reason I thought about this dish and am wondering if anyone has the recipe.
    False
  • RE: Old 4H recipe
    I work for the Cooperative Extension Service which is the office for 4-H. I'll see if I can find someone that knows this.
    False
    bump
    False
    I looked in my 4H House Cookbook from 1984 and didn't see it in there, sorry
    False
    I went to Google and typed in 4H Ground Beef skillet with corn recipes and quite a bit came up. Try doing google and look there for what you want. Good Luck
    False
    Valeta,
    Not so long ago I went on a similiar search for a old 4-H recipe I had made when I was quite young for the family. My mother still remembered the recipe title and this is what I came up with. Hope it's your missing recipe too!
    Dawn

Beef Corn Dandy
    1 lb. hamburger
    1 small onion
    16 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
    16 oz. can sliced or stewed tomatoes, partially drained
    1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger and onion till no pink shows in meat and onion is tender. Add can of corn and can of tomatoes. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes. Remove lid and add cheese over the top. Put lid on just until cheese begins to melt. Remove from heat and serve.
    False
    Ok... I had in mind "One Pan Dandy".
    I was in 4-H for 10 yrs from 1973 to 1983. Mom still has the cook books at her house.
    Karla
    False
    Karla
    bump for Valeta.
    False

bump for Valeta

False

bump again.
    False
    I am sure this is the recipe

Thank you Dawn
    False
    While on the subject of 4-H, I'm still trying to find the cookies they used to sell each year. Does anybody know if they still sell them? I tried to find this out on an old post here, but one person suggested the extension ofc. Called them, but they were of no help. The ones I liked were baked by a bakery in New England, graham cracker base, marshmallow (No, NOT the ones with a layer of jelly in there!), and covered in chocolate. They were so much better than Girl Scout cookies.

Anybody know if they are still sold by any 4-H groups? Thanks for any help on this.

BTW - the recipe Dawnzhere posted sounds good!

Brenda
    False
  • Re: RE: Old 4H recipe

I was in 4-H for 12 years, from 1971 to 1983 and I actually DO have the cookbook that has "One Pan Dandy" in it.  Here it is verbatim.....

ONE PAN DANDY

Ingredients:                                             

1 lb. ground beef                                

1 large onion

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1  8-oz can stewed tomatoes

1 can whole kernel corn

1/4 lb cheddar cheese, cubed

Place ground beef, onion, salt and pepper in the skillet.  Cook and stir over moderate heat until meat is lightly browned and onion is soft.  If much fat cooks out of the meat, spoon off the drippings before adding the other ingredients.  Add tomatoes and corn.  Cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.  Stir in cheese cubes.  Cover skillet.  Turn off the heat and let stand a minute or two until the cheese melts.

Variation:  Use 2 cups of canned tomato sauce instead of 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes.

(I have four kids, and I made this just the other day and they absolutely LOVED it)

False

Good to know,  kids will be here for a few days later this month. 

False

False