What goes with Ham for Thanksgiving? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What goes with Ham for Thanksgiving?

Last post Nov 17, 2007 5:53 PM by Stimpy_WI_F_50 . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • What goes with Ham for Thanksgiving?
    I have been outvoted this year as the majority want ham instead of Turkey. Can you tell me what goes well with a ham dinner? Thanks friends!-Lynn
    False
  • RE: What goes with Ham for Thanksgiving?
    Well I love scalloped potatoes with ham and I think a sweet potatoe dish would be good too. As far as veggies I would think any thing goes.
    Cathy JMHO :)
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Thanks- I was wondering about the sweet potatoes!
    False
    Sweet potato crunch
    Red potatoes with parsley butter
    Mac and cheese
    Green beans with bacon and toasted almonds
    Cole slaw
    Crescent rolls
    Any kind of pie, cake, cookies, dessert
    There now....can I come for dinner after I eat my turkey? LOL
    False
    C'mon over JoRose! I'm sure there will be plenty to go around- Thanks for your suggestions!-Lynn
    False
    DH wants Ham too as I cooked a very large Turkey dinner for Canadian Thanksgiving October 8th My Mom's Birthday too and my family visited.

Dressing/Stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish though so we are having Honeybaked Ham, Sausage dressing (for me!) Creamed Cheddar potatoes., Green beans with Toasted Almonds, Homemade Potato Dinner Rolls with honey butter, Nadine's Addictive Broccoli Salad (of course), My Bro's blue cheese Salad , Homemade Applesauce (per DH's demand), Chocolate covered strawberries and various desserts.

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

This is what our family has whenever we eat a ham at a holidy like Christmas or Easter or Thanksgiving. I wish I had a plate of it now!

Green Bean Casserole

2 cans drained green beans
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    3/4 cup milk
    1/4 t pepper
    1 can French's fried onions (in a can)

Mix all ingredients except for 1 cup of the fried onions and pour into a greased medium/large casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the remaining fried onions and bake for 5 more minutes.

I'm not sure what this is called....

Sweet Potatoes (they are mashed up and butter, brown sugar, salt, and marshmallow cream are added to them) with Toasty Marshmallows on top. I don't have the recipe for this, but I will ask my grandmother for it and try to post it later on this evening.
    [It is one of my favorite holiday foods]

Dinner Rolls-the ones you can buy in the bread isle and heat and serve.

Squash Casserole

1 pound yellow squash
    1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
    1/4 cup grated carrot
    About 2 tubes of Ritz crackers-crushed into fine meal
    1/4 cup chopped white onion
    1 T sugar
    1/4 t salt
    1/8 t pepper

Cut squash into managable 2" chunks. Boil until tender when proded with a fork. Drain and mash. Add butter and stir together until butter melts. Add all remaining ingredients except for 1 tube of Ritz crackers and combine.

Pour into a medium sized casserole dish and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle the top with the remaining Ritz crackers and bake for 10 more minutes. If the crackers start to get too brown, you can cover the casserole loosly with foil.

And you can always have Pumpkin Pie with a ham dinner!

Hope this helps

False
    How about...

Green Beans or Green Bean Casserole
    Brown Rice
    Candied Yams
    Deviled Eggs
    Pineapple Casserole
    Crock Pot Mac & Cheese
    Broccoli Salad
    Very Berry Congealed Salad
    Cheesecake
    Chocolate Pie
    Apple Cobbler w/vanilla ice cream
    Yeast Rolls
    Sweet Ice Tea
    ...and Me

Fratz

False
    LOL @ Fratz "and me" comment

Alliea
    False

This would be delish!
    Sweet & White Scalloped Potatoes
    1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated milk
    2 teaspoons chicken instant bouillon
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    4 cups (1 1/2 pounds) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
    2 cups (1/2 pound) sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
    1/2 cup (1.5 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
    Directions
    HEAT evaporated milk, bouillon, onion powder and thyme in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil and bouillon is dissolved. Add potatoes.

COOK, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to boil. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook, rearranging potatoes gently and occasionally, for 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; serve immediately.

False
    Without a doubt, scalloped potatoes and candied sweet potatoes. I do turkey and ham, so it can be trickey. My family loves all those potatoes but I can't cook them all. Also we love baked beans with ham. Good grief, we can't cook everything can we?????
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    Potato/Egg Casserole - 10 servings

INGREDIENTS

* 6 potatoes
    * 8 eggs - hard boiled
    * seasoning salt to taste
    * 1 cup butter
    * 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and slice.
    3. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and slice.
    4. In a 9x13 inch casserole dish layer potatoes and eggs, sprinkling each layer of eggs with seasoning salt, ending with potatoes.
    ** 5. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt margarine with sour cream. Pour over potatoes and sprinkle lightly with seasoning salt.
    6. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Terrific Variation:
    **spoon the sour cream mixture over each egg layer. I cover the top potatoes with some reserved sour cream mixture and sprinkle with fine, dry buttered crumbs! Yummy. On occassion I put in some sliced sausage. This is a Hungarian recipe.
    False
    My family still enjoys sweet potato casserole with ham. I usually serve creamed potatoes and buttered sweet peas with ham. Waldorf salad is always good with ham. My family always enjoys corn casserole with ham, too. Don't know if you have a recipe for sweet potato casserole so I am sending mine. If you use it - I hope you enjoy!!
    Sweet Potato Casserole
    6 or 7 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 cups mashed)
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 stick margarine, melted
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1/2 cup flaked coconut, optional
    1/2 stick margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish; set aside. Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 30 to 40 minutes or until tender; drain and let cool to touch. Peel and mash potatoes; add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon and 1 stick margarine, melted. Mix well and put into prepared casserole dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in small mixing bowl combine brown sugar, flour, chopped nuts, coconut and 1/2 stick margarine, melted; stirring until well blended. Remove casserole from oven, sprinkle topping over the sweet potato mixture. Return to oven and continue to bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
    False
    Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli Crockpot Recipe

1 package (10 Oz) Frozen Cauliflower, thawed
    1 package (10 oz) frozen broccoli, thawed
    1 can cheddar cheese soup
    4 slices bacon
    Salt And Pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

Fry bacon until crisp; drain well on paper towels then crumble. Place broccoli and cauliflower in crockery pot. Top with soup, sprinkle with bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
    Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. About 20 minutes before done, top with cheddar cheese if used.
    Serves 6.
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    neat post bumping up
    False