Old Sugar Cookie Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Old Sugar Cookie Recipe

Last post Jan 16, 2008 10:15 AM by plumcrazy__Alta . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Old Sugar Cookie Recipe
    I am searching for a sugar cookie recipe that has nutmeg in it. My mother received "The Household Searchlight" Cookbook for a wedding gift in 1937 and the sugar cookie recipe in the book was wonderful. I remember wondering how good the cookie would be with nutmeg in the dough. Any help with the recipe from this cookbook or any sugar cookie recipe with nutmeg in it would be appreciated.
    False
  • RE: Old Sugar Cookie Recipe
    This recipe came from a woman I worked with back in 1984. I haven't tried them, but they sound like the recipe you are looking for.

Old-Fashion Sugar Cookies

Cream together:
    1/2 cup oleo
    3/4 cup sugar

Beat in:
    1 egg

Sift together:
    2 3/4 cups flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

Add to creamed ingredients alternately with:
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tsp vanilla

Blend thoroughly and chill. Dough is sticky when warm, work with samll amount at a time. Roll out chilled dough on lighly floured board to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cutters, sprinkle sugar or whatever.
    Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 min or until slightly browned. Cool on cake rack. Makes about 4 dozen.
    False
    Kathleen
    Sugar Cookies - The Household Searchlight

2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup sour milk
    4 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
    3/4 cup shortening
    2 Eggs, well beaten
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs. Sift flour, measure, and sift with baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Add milk alternately with dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto well-oiled baking sheet. Bake in hot oven (430 F) 10-12 minutes. 70 servings.
    False
    This was from a Spry shortening cookbook. I have had the recipe since the mid fifties.

SUGAR COOKIES WITH LEMON RIND

½ c shortening
    ½ tsp lemon rind
    ½ tsp nutmeg
    1 c sugar
    Cream the above together
    2 eggs, well beaten
    2 Tbsp milk
    Add to the above
    2 c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp soda
    Sift together and add. Stir until blended.
    Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Flatten with the bottom of a damp glass dipped in sugar. Sprinkle with more sugar.
    Bake at 350°
    8 – 13 minutes

False
  • Re: Old Sugar Cookie Recipe

Are any of these cookies a soft cookie?  My grandmother used to make a wonderful sugar cookie that also had nutmeg in it.  I loved it.  She never used a recipe & sadly I never got the ingredients or approximate amounts before she died.

Thanks!

Barb

False
  • Re: Old Sugar Cookie Recipe

This is not a sugar cookie but they are soft and delicious.

Sour Cream Softies

3c. flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder and soda

1c. sour cream

1/2c. margarine

1 1/2c. sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

Cream the margarine and add sugar, then add eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Beat until smooth then add the dry. Drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon, bake until the bottoms brown.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose