poem for giving GIFT TOWEL | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

poem for giving GIFT TOWEL

Last post Dec 03, 2007 9:41 PM by 3kidsmommy . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • poem for giving GIFT TOWEL
    Well, not a poem.

I am sorry that I cannot remember where I got this at. Maybe here.

I printed this, then glued it to the back of half of a nice old Christmas card. Hole punched a hole in order to tie it onto the kitchen towel.

At first glance, one looks at a kitchen towel and thinks, "Wow! A towel! I needed a new one," or Wow! A towel! The old ones are getting stained and worn.
    But have we ever stopped to think that for years, even thousands of years, the towel has not just been used in the kitchen, but for a variety of reasons?

Take, for example, the mother who wipes the tears of a little child to soothe the physical and emotional hurt;
    The physician who binds the wound of a bleeding patient;
    The woman in her home wiping hands as she moves from task to tak;
    The weary traveler who wipes his sweated brow.

Notwithstanding all of the above examples, perhaps the most significant use of the towel was about 2,000 years ago when our loving Jesus took an ordinary towel in his hands and dried the feet of his disciples only hours before his crucifixion. Sure, the towel is a handy item with a myriad of uses, but it also has deep symbolic meaning when seen in the hands of the Savior during a work of kindness for his fellowmen.

So, take this towel, knowing it is given with love, and do works of goodness with it, as the Savior worked with His so many years ago.
    False
  • RE: poem for giving GIFT TOWEL
    Hi,,,I have never seen this before and it is just lovely, thank you so much for posting this great idea. Shirley
    False
    I have never seen this before either! Thank you. I am going to copy and post on the craft board also ... this is too good NOT to share!

Thanks again.

Hugs and blessings,
    ♥Marcia

+

False
    Thank you. This will make a great table favor at our Christmas dinner table.

Jane
    False
    Hey Lightningbug, great mines think a like (big smile)...I Just posted this a day or two ago on Rosiepie's post asking for school projects for 7th graders! How amazing our thoughts are on the same track at the same time. Hope this means a lot of people will be giving/recieving it for gifts this CHRISTmas season or any time for that matter. Such a great message and so true. I love it. I also love your idea of glueing the message on the back of half of old CHRISTmas card.
    Any more great ideas like this?
    Blessings
    Judy
    False
    So glad you all liked it.

Judy, I have mine all fixed up ready to take to a womens meeting with a few other things to go with.

I am including the following Legend fixed on the back of a Christmas card, tied to a red and white candy cane.
    ----------------------------------
    The Legend of the Candy Cane
    A story is told about a candy maker who wanted to make a candy that would be a testimony of his Christian faith, so he made the Christmas candy cane. He fashioned it using several symbols for the birth, ministry, and death of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    He began with a stick of pure white hard candy--white to remind us of the virgin birth and of the sinless nature of Jesus Christ, and hard to remind us of Jesus, the solid Rock, the foundation of the church, and of the firmness of God's promises.
    The candy maker made the candy in the shape of a "J" to represent the precious name of Jesus, who came to earth as our Savior. Turned upside down, it also represents the staff of the "Good Shepherd" with which He reaches down into the ditches of the world to lift out the fallen lambs who, like all sheep, have gone astray.
    Thinking that the candy looked somewhat plain, the candy maker stained it with red stripes. He used small red stripes to remind us of the stripes of the scourging Jesus received by which we are healed. He used a large red stripe to remind us of the blood shed by Jesus Christ on the cross so that we could have the promise of eternal life.
    Unfortunately, over the years, the candy cane has become just a tasty treat and a traditional Christmas decoration without any special significance. But the meaning is still there for those who "have eyes to see and ears to hear."
    May this simple piece of holiday candy serve as a reminder to us all of the true reason for celebrating at Christmas time: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

unknown
    False
    Thanks for sharing that, I will sure use this. Thanks again, never heard of it before. Cindy
    False
    I have never heard this before, but it's great! I'll be using this sometime at church...........maybe even for our ladies Christmas party.

Thanks Bug:)
    ~Janice
    False
    ~*Janice*~