OT: Help On Peeling Rutabagas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: Help On Peeling Rutabagas

Last post Jan 19, 2013 8:40 AM by Alliea . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • OT: Help On Peeling Rutabagas
    Short of using a chain-saw, does anyone have an easy way to peel and chop rutabagas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Judy
    False
  • RE: OT: Help On Peeling Rutabagas
    Just a TIP
    Posted by: Alliea Replies: 11 Posted on: 10/13/2006 1:31:48 PM
    #T743987
    In one of the several cooking classes I took (because I was lucky enough to live close to a cooking school)

I learned to partially cook a Turnip, squash, rutabaga etc in a microwave ( on a glass plate with waxed paper cover..... to soften the peel).......let it cool until you can handle it then while sl. warm peel it if you wish.. You can then boil it or prepare it as you like.My Dad loves turnip , squash and rutabaga and this tip has saved me many a battle and/OR sliced fingers preparing Holiday dinners.

Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I just use a potato peeler and then with a large knife, cut and dice pieces. It is very hard to cut.
    I then boil and mash them when soft. I love mashed rutabaga
    False
    But, boy are they good!!! Love them!!

pegg
    False

pegg

Turnips and rutabagas are simple to cut when you partially microwave them first.....not a problem and much safer too.

Alliea
    False

If I can just get the rutabaga cut, I don't have too much trouble peeling it. I'll try putting it in the microwave.

Thanks and blessings to all,
    Judy
    False
    Judy, this has always worked for me. I use a large butcher knife and cut the rutabaga in half vertically. Then I place the cut side down on a cutting board and cut it in slices about 1 inch wide. Next I use a sharp paring knife or vegetable peeler to peel each slice. It's easy then to cut the slices into smaller pieces for cooking. Hope this helps.
    False
    Thanks so much for this thread. I've had to give up rutabagas because I could no longer cut them. The tips here will help me get back to something I really enjoyed.

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'
    I make a cut at the bottom of the rutabega so it sits flat. Take a very sharp small paring knife and cut the peel just like you would on some fruits from top to bottom. It takes a bit of work but oh how good the results. YUM

Margaret
    False

How long do you microwave them?  Mine is coated with wax, do I need to do anything special?

False

sugiej
    Mine is coated with wax, do I need to do anything special?

Most Rutabagas are coated with wax. place on Saran wrap or waxed paper on a microwave safe plate  before Nuking  to save time cleaning the plate when the wax melts .Pierce with a knife in 3 or 4 places .

The Microwave time depends on the size of the rutabaga. Nuke on high for 5-7  minutes for a relatively large rutabaga-smaller rutabagas will need less time..  Cool for 4 or 5 minutes  peel , cut into cubes  and boil in salted water until soft  if desired.

~Susan

False

• Re: OT: Help On Peeling Rutabagas

redeemed_ga
    Short of using a chain-saw, does anyone have an easy way to peel and chop rutabagas?

Boy, they ARE a pain aren't they? I only make one dish ( root soup) that requires them and i'm really glad. I have a degenerative joint disease and peeling just one is a job I dread. My hands hurt so bad afterwards. Hopefully i'll be abe to get some suggestions also.Big Smile

False

THE AMERICAN'S CREED I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a Republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect Union one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots scrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to suport its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect it's flag, and to defend it against all enemies. Proud member of The Daughters of The American Revolution

I have never cooked them. We just love to peel and eat them raw. good tips here. I also cut in half , and then smaller pieces and peel with a sharp paring knife. Put in a Baggie in the fridge and munch on it. love to get them at the farmers market each summer. Also, turnups.
    False

I did as suggested and put it in the microwave for 3 minutes and then added a minute; so a total of 4 minutes.  Completely melted all the wax and softened the peel.  I then sat it on one end on a cutting board and peeled it by putting my paring knife under the peel and going from top to bottom.  Continued all the way around it.  I then washed it and cut off slices that were probably about an inch or so thick and then cut them into cubes (like I would cut up potatoes to make potato salad).  This method worked great.  Then, I put a pork chop in a pot along with a little bit of peanut oil, the rutabaga cubes and water.  I also salted and peppered.  It takes them about an hour to cook.  DELICIOUS!  I have eaten them all my life and love them.  Such great nutritional value in them also.  I might have them more often now that I know an easier way to peel them.

False

sugiej
    I did as suggested and put it in the microwave

I am so glad you liked this method too.

My Dad and Bro's favorite vegetable is Rutabaga  especially for Holiday meals but it used to be  a tough one to cut them in  half and peel  them especially since more than one was required for the Holiday meals.

After I took that cooking class it became so easy to cut peel and  cook them.

Thanks for sharing your review of this method. Nice to read.

~Susan

False