Cornstarch in cookies? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cornstarch in cookies?

Last post Sep 28, 2010 7:31 AM by Alliea . 28 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 12
  • Cornstarch in cookies?

I found a recipe for Peppermint Candy Shortbread Cookies that called for 1/4 c. corn starch.  I've never heard of corn starch in a cookie recipe before.  What purpose does it serve?

False
  • Re: Cornstarch in cookies?

cornstarch is to make thick, what is the recipe?  Pepp and shortbread seems a little, well new to me.
    False

Could it help reduce the spread of the cookie and give it some body?  You know how some chocolate chip cookies flatten out when baked?  I think this is what the corn starch may do - help make a softer, more cakelike cookie.  Just guessing though...

False

Hi Mathmomma! See review with recipe below. This came from another recipe site. Hope this helps. I wanted to let you know that I really like the picture of your chef doggie, how cute!!

Melt - In - Your - Mouth Shortbread

SUBMITTED BY: Jennifer Wilton      PHOTO BY: jmma

"This quick and easy shortbread will literally melt when you take a bite. Great for Christmas parties with a little bit of decorating."

PREP TIME  10 Min
    COOK TIME  15 Min
    READY IN  25 Min

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup butter, softened
    • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    • 1/4 cup cornstarch
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. Whip butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, cornstarch, and flour. Beat on low for one minute, then on high for 3 to 4 minutes. Drop cookies by spoonfuls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
    3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Watch that the edges don't brown too much. Cool on wire racks.
    document.write('');
    REVIEWS

The reviewer gave this recipe 5 stars. This recipe averages a 0 star rating.
    Reviewed on Dec. 17, 2003 by JOHNWBYRD
    I confess I had my doubts when I saw the cornstarch in the recipe. In my mind, shortbread contains butter, flour and sugar in the proper proportions. However, the good reviews associated with recipe convinced me to try it. I don't write reviews for recipes because, hey, they're only recipes, right? Let me tell you that this cookie recipe is shockingly good. All the reviews are right-- this is a shortbread with a completely unique presentation and taste. Try it, follow the recipe exactly, and your cookies will rock. UPDATE 11/27/2002. Made them again, and they are still quite fine. Correct temperature is 350 degrees F, however, and cooking time is 9 minutes. Watch the edges REALLY CAREFULLY because they burn suddenly. Some reviews claim this recipe can be powdery. That is true IF you eat these cookies hot. For some reason these cookies taste a little better the day after. If you want people to think you fussed, drop the dough from an icing bag onto your ungreased cookie sheet, through a large star icing tip.
    False

Q:I have a recipe for shortbread cookies that calls for cornstarch. I always thought cornstarch was a thickener. Why would you put cornstarch in cookies? What does it do?

— Mary Michaels, Doylestown

A:Yes, cornstarch is best known as a thickening agent in gravies, puddings and pie fillings.

But mixing cornstarch with all-purpose flour essentially turns it into cake flour, which will make cakes and cookies lighter and more tender. That's why it's perfect for delicate, flaky cookies like shortbread.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Using cornstarch in cookies helps make the cookies more tender-I use it in many shortbread type recipes even if it is not called for-I just reduece the amount of flour a bit and add that much cornstarch.  I kinda makes the flour more like cake flour-which if you ever used it for cookies would make them more tender-less gluten in cake flour and in flour in which cornstarch is used.  Not too good an explanation, sorry.  But yes, use it.  Your cookies will be delicious.

False

Quite some time ago, Star posted a recipe for Raspberry Melting Moments.  They are wonderful cookies.  Whenever I make them to take some where, people gobble them up.  It calls for 1 cup cornstarch.  Lynn

False

Thanks Lynn for telling me about this- I need to try this recipe and Thanks for the recipe Star.

AllieaWink 

Raspberry Filled Melting Moments -  (Star)

2 cups unsifted flour
    1 cup cornstarch
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 1/2 cups butter or margarine
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Seedless raspberry jam

In a bowl stir together flour, cornstarch and sugar
    In a large mixer bowl beat margarine until soft and smooth. Beat in flour mixture and vanilla extract until well blended. Shape into 3/4 inch balls and place 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten crisscross style with a lightly floured fork. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
    Makes 72 cookies.

Cool slightly then spread lightly with raspberry jam. When completely cool, dip in Glaze.

Glaze
    1/2 cup chocolate morsels
    1 teaspoon butter
    1 teaspoon milk.
    Melt and mix in double boiler.

These are delicious, and well worth the trouble. I doubled the first batch of glaze, and instead of dipping the cookies, I spread it over the tops. Then I needed yet another batch, and doubled the milk and butter. I wouldn't do that again. It didn't set up as well. I don't know how well they'll travel. But they taste wonderful, and really do melt in the mouth. I'd make them again if there weren't so very many cookie recipes to try.

If you make them, you won't be sorry.

False

Thank you all for your help.  I find it interesting that it might make a more tender cookie.  I think I might give these a try.

Peppermint Candy Shortbread Cookies

1 c. butter, softened (NO Substitutes!)

1/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. crushed peppermint candy

1 tsp. vanilla

2 c. flour

1/4 c. corn starch

Mix butter, sugar, candy and vanilla thoroughly using an electric mixer.  Gradually blend in flour and corn starch.  Form into 1" balls and place on parchment papre-lined baking sheets.  Gently press down on each cookie to flatten.  Bake at 300 for 25 - 30 minutes, until bottoms begin to brown.  Cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.

If desired, combine 1 c. confectioners' sugar with 1 - 2 Tbs. milk and 1/2 tsp. vanilla to make an icing.  Drizzle cool cookies with icing and sprinkle with more crushed peppermint candy.

I was wondering if putting a Hershey's candy cane kiss on them would be good.  If only I could get them stuck on the cookies before eating the whole bag myself. LOLEmbarrassed

False
    SHORTBREAD MELTAWAYS

Posted by: Germanlady - Posted on: 3/4/2007

Germanlady says, "Guten Morgen dear ones! I hope you enjoy these. So easy to make and I hope to bake them soon. Enjoy!"

SHORTBREAD MELTAWAYS

from Taste of Home Quick Cooking 2004 annual recipes
    submitted by Ruth Whittaker, Wayne, Pennsylvania

You’ll need just five everyday ingredients to stir up a batch of these bite-size cookies. They’re rich and melt-in-your-mouth good.

1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
    ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup cornstarch

In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture. Drop by ½ teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

Yield: 7 dozen (4 cents per serving).
    (o: Kay :o)
    False

This cookie was crisp and tender, with enough orange flavor to be delicate. cj

Orange Coconut Crisps-  posted by Yumaaz

Sunset

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1½ cups flour

1cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/3 cups coconut (4 ounces)

Beat butter and sugar together until creamy; beat in egg.  Combine dry ingredients and stir in with peel, vanilla and coconut.  Cover and chill about 2 hours.  Roll into 1 to 1¼-inch balls.  Arrange 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.  With tines of fork, flatten each to about ¼-inch thick.  Bake at 375º for 8-10 minutes or lightly browned.  4 dozen.

False

Just as wishonastar said, these are so ooey and gooey. DS and I made these and they are the best. Do be very careful with the baking time. They only took 6-7 minutes and they do spread somewhat so they didn't need to be flattened at all. This is the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Thank you wishonastar.
    chefly

Posted by: wishonastar_OR Replies: 9 Posted on: 3/7/2007 11:18:03 PM
    #T804036
    is cornstarch-- it works like a charm. You get soft, ooey, gooey goodness--there is a secret in the baking and cooling process too.
    3/4 cup margarine or softened unsalted butter
    1 cup golden brown sugar
    1/4 sugar
    1 egg
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt (only if you're using unsalted butter)
    LOTS of semi-sweet chocolate chips
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream margarine and sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla and blend. Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt (only if you are using butter). Add lots of yummy chocolate chips and stir them in!
    Drop by tablespoon onto a greased baking sheet. If you want thick cookies, leave the dough mounded. If you prefer flatter cookies, press the dough gently into a disc.
    Bake for 8-10 minutes. It is really important to bake the cookies until the edges are JUST turning brown. If you wait until the cookies are completely brown, they will be crispy!
    There is another important step to achieving the ultimate soft, chewy cookie. Once the cookies are removed from the oven, let them cool slightly and then remove them from the baking sheet. If they are left on the baking sheet to cool completely, they continue to cook and will become brittle. It is ideal to let them cool on a wire rack.

I have made these repeatedly- Excellent~Alliea

False

I found a chocolate chip cookie recipe that had cornstarch in it and they were the best cc cookies I've ever had. Chewy, moist and tender. I'm taking a page out of Cook's Illustrated and using cornstarch as more than a thickening agent.

False

Turtle Shortbread Cookies-Argo Cornstarch
    Turtle Shortbread Cookies

Prep Time:  20 minutes
    Cook Time:  25 to 30 minutes
    Yield:  3 -1/2 dozen cookies

• 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
    • 3 squares (1 ounce each) semi-sweet chocolate, melted, cooled 5 minutes
    • 2 cups flour
    • 1/4 cup Argo® or Kingsford's® Corn Starch
    • 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
    • 2 tablespoons light cream
    • 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) pecans, chopped
    1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix butter, brown sugar and vanilla thoroughly using an electric mixer. Beat in melted chocolate. Gradually blend in flour and corn starch.

2. Form into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets. Gently press down on each cookie to flatten using fingers or a flat bottomed drinking glass (dipped in sugar to prevent sticking).

3. Bake at 300ºF for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown. Cool for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Melt caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.

4. Dip cookies in caramel sauce; roll dipped portion in chopped pecans. Place cookies on wax paper to cool before serving.

False

Re: I need help....Amish sugar cookie with cornstarch recipe

Carol;

Here's the one my daughter uses.....OH is it ever good!!!  Hope it's close to the one you're looking for.

Carol

AMISH SUGAR COOKIES

1 c. sugar
    1 c. confectioners' sugar
    1 c. butter
    1 c. oil
    2 eggs
    3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    1 c. cornstarch
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine sugars, butter, and oil; beat well.  Add eggs, beating well.  Add cornstarch, baking soda, and cream of tartar to flour.  Mix all ingredients and drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake @ 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

False