Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner but I need side dishes. Help!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner but I need side dishes. Help!!

Last post Dec 21, 2011 7:54 AM by Alliea . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner but I need side dishes. Help!!
    Last year I requested help with side dishes and you all came through with flying colors. My In Laws are health nuts so it has to be healthy. So far I have Prime Rib, Whole Grain Rice and salad. Can you help? Thanks!
    False
  • Re: Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner but I need side dishes. Help!!

You need something green.....

Brussel sprouts?

green beans?

salad?

pea salad?

i vote for the brussel sprouts myself.....Big Smile

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Hello, I, too, am having Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner and wanted to know how you fix yours.  I plan on about a 4-5 # roast.  I am using "root veggies" to cook with mine and then I am making a "mure pia" (don't know if I spelled that correctly).  But in simple words I am hand mashing the root veggies and adding them to my mashed potatoes.  I am planning on corn, garlic bread and I have a special green salad recipe that my family loves to accompany the meal. 

Merry Christmas

Sandy, Belton, Missouri

False

I make my green beans like this. Boil the green beans until done. Saute onion and fresh mushrooms with real butter until done, Cook bacon like you do, I mirowave mine and mix all toghter. My family just love these. Or Brussel Sprouts are good made the same way.

Vicki

False

Click for Redding, California Forecast

If they are health concious they probably won't like this but it is  awesome with beef. Yorkshire pudding is my vote.

False

How about some whole grain rolls? 

Here's how I do a "healthier" potato side:  cube potatoes, coat with a tablespoon of butter, sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Lawry's Seasoned Pepper, sprinkle in some chopped green onions, and bake until potatoes are tender.  I also add some grated cheddar and crumbled bacon - yum!, but those additions may not be healthy enough for this occasion.

- Paige

False

Bayleecat
    Last year I requested help with side dishes and you all came through with flying colors. My In Laws are health nuts so it has to be healthy. So far I have Prime Rib, Whole Grain Rice and salad. Can you help? Thanks!

I discovered this recipe a couple of years ago and now we are asked to serve it at all holiday functions by DS and DDIL. They even fixed it for Thanksgiving. It is easy and delicious.    MM

* Exported from MasterCook *

GREEN BEAN WRAP UPS

2   cans  whole green beans -- (16 oz. each)
    1   package  bacon slices -- cut in half
    ½   cup margarine or butter
    1/3 cup  brown sugar
    1   teaspoon  garlic salt

Bundle together 15 green beans. Wrap with a bacon slice and loosely tie.
    Place in greased casserole. Melt sugar and garlic salt in margarine or
    butter. Pour over green beans. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 30
    minutes or until bacon is done. Serves 4.

This recipe came from the Dallas Arboretum cookbook. Really good.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

Thank you all so much for your help. I knew I could count on you again this year. Now I just have to decide which ones to go with. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!!1
    False

These are delicious with standing rib roast - love them!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

POPOVERS

Recipe By     :n/a
    Serving Size  : 12    Categories    : Popovers

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
      4                     eggs
      2               Cups  flour
      2               Cups  milk
      1           Teaspoon  salt

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 12 deep custard cups.
    With hand beater, beat eggs slightly, add milk, flour and salt and beat until smooth. Do not overbeat. Fill custard cups 1/2 full. Bake 25 minutes at 450 degrees, lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake 15-20 minutes longer, until golden brown. Remove immediately from pans and serve hot.  Don't peek at them or they'll fall!!!

pegg                               

False

pegg

This is what I'm serving along with roasted potatoes and Yorkshire pudding and rolls

Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots

Ingredients
    Serves 4.

3 tablespoons butter
    6 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    1 pound green beans, trimmed
    Directions
    In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; swirl to coat bottom of pan. Add shallots; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
    Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook green beans until fork-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Toss with remaining tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper.
    Transfer green beans to a serving dish; top with caramelized shallots. 

False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

Your timing is startling. Today I watched Tyler Florence prepare Prime Rib and his side dishes were Creamed Pearl Onions, Creamed Spinach,  Crispy and Creamy New Potato Pie,  and Candied  Carrots.  Recipes follow:

Creamed Pearl Onions

1 bag frozen pearl onions
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Thaw pearl onions and then saute in butter until golden brown. Deglaze by adding a little water at a time. Finish with heavy cream and reduce until you achieve a smooth consistency. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Crispy and Creamy New Potato Pie

2 pounds potatoes, washed and halved
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish (or prepared)
    1 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup chives, chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and boil potatoes in salty water with bay leaf until fork tender. Drain potatoes and mash along with horseradish, sour cream, and chives. Season with salt and pepper. Put mixture into a 10-inch skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake until golden and crispy. To serve, invert onto a plate and cut into pieces.

Candied Carrots 1 bunch young carrots, with tops
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 orange, zested and halved
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut off all but 1-inch of the carrot tops, leaving a little green. Put the carrots in a large shallow pan, add the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Turn to coat the carrots. Stick them in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the carrots are fork-tender.

In the meantime, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Swirl the pan around and cook until the butter begins to become brown and nutty. Squeeze in the juice from the orange halves, add the zest, brown sugar, cumin and cinnamon and continue to cook for 2 minutes or until syrupy. Remove the carrots from the oven, drizzle the orange brown butter over the carrots and serve.

Creamed Spinach

Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 onion, minced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 pounds fresh baby spinach, stemmed
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat a large pot over medium heat. Drizzle with a 2-count of oil, add the butter, and stir it around so it melts. Saute the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach in batches, pushing it down with a wooden spoon to help it wilt. Keep adding more spinach when there is room in the pot. Cook the spinach until it is dry, then lower the heat and add the cream and nutmeg. Stir and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.

False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'

where can I buy frozen pearl onions in Dallas, Texas

False

Try this on for size its a hit. blanch fresh green beans, then in a pan put honey, cranberries and orange zest heat thru then add drain beans adda touch of kosher salt and man are you going to impress your guest. I love this one.

False

Mushrooms go so well with beef.  On a similar thread to this, Burgundy Mushrooms, which you can search for on this site, were suggested.  I thought I would post this simple recipe for roasted musrooms which is also delicious, and it's lots easier than sauteed mushrooms.

ROASTED MUSHROOMS WITH HERBS

(Serve 2 as a main dish, or 6 as a side dish)

1/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

1/4 lb. shitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup loose packed fresh herbs such as chives, thyme, marjoram and flat-leaf parsley,minced

Sour cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment.

Clean mushrooms by wiping them with a damp paper towel.  Do not put them in water to clean as they will soak up the water and be soggy.   Slice mushrooms and toss in a large bowl with  generous amount of salt and pepper and the olive oil.  Roast for 20 minutes, then toss the mushrooms once, and return to oven.  Roast for an additional 10 minutes or until they are dark and slightly shrunken.

Return the roasted mushrooms to the bowl.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.  Toss with the herbs, then transfer to a serving dish and top with a dollop of sour cream.  Serve immediately.

False

I will be making a brussel sprout casserole. Brussel sprouts, cream of mush soup, water chestnuts and cheese. you can also add some onion and mushrooms as well.

False