Need some "kid-friendly" ideas for Christmas buffet | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need some "kid-friendly" ideas for Christmas buffet

Last post Dec 18, 2007 1:18 AM by suzycreamcheese_MI . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Need some "kid-friendly" ideas for Christmas buffet

We celebrate Christmas Eve at my sister's house and we traditionally do a buffet of all of our favorite dishes.  Cold shrimp cocktail, buffalo hot wing dip, bean dip, meatballs, smokies in BBQ, pickle/cream cheese roll ups, meat and veggie tray etc...(yes I know, very untraditional!  LOL)  We kind of just "graze" all day! 

Anyways, I'd like to bring some things for the kids as they usually don't go for the other stuff we have.  I am doing finger jello but wondered if you had any other "kid-friendly" ideas that I could bring so that they have some food options besides chips and Christmas cookies!  LOL

Thanks!
    Happy holidays!
    Kim

False
  • Re: Need some "kid-friendly" ideas for Christmas buffet

I should also note that no Christmas celebration is complete at our house without the "Out of This World Party Mix".  Man that stuff is GOOD!  I bought the whole grocery store out of Bugles this weekend!  LOL

False

What about Pigs in a blanket? I've never seen anyone that doesn't like them. This is how I make mine:

Just use the little smoked sausages and canned biscuits. I buy the store brand "flaky" biscuits. Pat the biscuits out kind of flat, place the little smoked sausage on it and roll it up. I bake mine at the temperature that is on the can for the biscuits.

Also, if you can find the little mini corn dogs, those are great for kids. They usually have them at Sam's. If you can't find them there, Walmart usually has them. Totino's pizza rolls are another good party food for kids.

Hope this helps!

False

How about some mini "chicken" legs, (wings with tips cut off) Ritz crackers topped with small slices of lunch meat and cheese or peanut butter.

False

Mac and cheese is usually a kid pleaser.

Chicken fingers also.

Jill

False

Hi Kim,

I saw your post & thought of these. We make them every yr for CHristmas & the kids love them. I think I got the recipe here sometime ago. These are super easy. I use 1 red box of jello & 1 green & stick sucker sticks in them. That way they look like suckers & don't come unrolled.

JELL-O Pinwheels

1 sm pkg Jell-O, any flavor
    1/2 C warm water
    1 1/2 C miniature marshmallows or 12 large

Spray an 8 or 9” square pan with non-stick spray. Mix JELL-O and water in a microwavable bowl on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir to dissolve completely.
    Add marshmallows and microwave 1 minute or until marshmallows are almost melted.
    Stir until completely melted and smooth, creamy layer will float to top. Pour into the greased pan. Refrigerate 45 minutes - 1 hour. Loosen edges with a knife (dipped in warm water.) Roll up tightly. With seam side down, cut into 10-12 slices. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve

Debbie

False

Hi Kim,

Between my kids and my sister's, we're already up to 7!!!!  My kids eat just about anything, my sister's are REALLY PICKY!!!!!!

I've noticed that chicken wings are a BIG hit, also mini phyllo cups filled with crab salad, or cut-up asparagus drenched in butter with a piece of shrimp are favorites.  What about pizza?  Italian style sheet pizza.  Adults attack this also.  Turkey or chicken (cut up for easier serving) roasted in oven with potatoes always gets eaten.  Fried Shrimp? 

Desserts are pretty easy......................either a traditional ice-cream log, mini phyllo cups filled with custard & fruit, or phyllo cups filled with yogurt/fruit (example:  blueberry yogurt with a few pieces of fresh blueberries scattered on top).  Or, all-time favorite..............mini phyllo cups filled with chocolate pudding with a white or chocolate hershey kiss in center.

Hope this helps

Milto

(PS:  My boys go crazy for marinated octopus salad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

False

Hi Kim! This recipe would be easy for you and fun for the kids! Just heat up some pizza sauce to go with them. Merry Christmas!

1 can (11ounces) breadsticks                                    

1 egg

1 tablespoon water

Sesame or Poppy seeds

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Separate dough into 12 pieces; unroll each into an 18-inch rope. Cut off 1 inch of each breadstick for tree trunk.

On greased cookie sheet, shape each breadstick into a tree (see diagram). Place trunk at base of tree.

In small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over trees. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
    Bake at 350°F. for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Serve warm.

False

How about some of the english muffin pizzas

mozzerella sticks

celery & peanut butter

Sloppy joes

False

If there are no nut allergies you can do Ants on a log (PB on celery with raisins sprinkled on top), cream cheese in celery, corn dog bites, mini size calzones, jelly pinwheels. 

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pizza Spirals

1                can  refridgerated pizza crust
         1/2           cup  pizza sauce
         3/4           cup  pepperoni
      1                cup  shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease 2 cookie sheets.  Unroll dough, press to 12x10 rectangle.  Cut into four 6x5 rectangles.  Spread each with 2 tablespoons sauce, top with pepperoni, cheese.  Starting at long side, roll up jelly roll fashion, seal edges well.  Cut each roll into ten 1/2" slices.  Place on sheets.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Immediately remove from sheets.   Serve warm, makes 40.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beefy Biscuit Cups

1              pound  ground beef
      14            ounces  spaghetti sauce
      2              tubes  large refrigerated biscuits -- 8oz each
      4             ounces  cheddar cheese -- shredded

In skilet, brown beef, drain.  Stir in spaghetti sauce, cook over med heat 5 to 10 mins or until heated through.  Press biscuits onto bottom and up sides of greased muffin cups.  Spoon 2T meat into each cup.  Bake at 375 for 15 mins or until golden brown.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 3 mins or until cheese is melted.

Source:
      "TOH April/May 2000"

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Just get Kyle a big bag of chicken nuggets and he'll be happy Stick out tongue

False

Thank to all of you for your great ideas and recipes!  I'm sure I can come up with something now!

And Foots, you'd think you know that boy!  LOL

False

He's my sweetie Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

False

Kim, have you tried the Heroin Wings yet? They're WAAAAY good and C and K will gobble them up!  If you want all of my reviews for the three times I've made them, give me a holler!

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/343939/345290.aspx#345290

~~susie.

False