In need of your best ham glazes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

In need of your best ham glazes

Last post Dec 23, 2010 9:36 PM by WATTLE . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • In need of your best ham glazes

I'm looking for your best ham glazes. I'm having ham for Christmas dinnner and need some ideas on favorite glazws. Thank you all in advance

KathieSmile

False
  • Re: In need of your best ham glazes

We LOVE this!

Review: We "torched" our ham -- and it was wonderful !

I made the Top Secret Recipe version of Honey Baked Ham with an Aldi's ham and everyone loved it! DH had fun using the blow torch on the ham, LOL...

Top Secret Recipes version of
    HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze
    by Todd Wilbur

TSR has discovered that the tender hams are delivered to each of the 300 HoneyBaked outlets already smoked, but without the glaze. It is only when the ham gets to your local HoneyBaked store that a special machine thin-slices the tender meat in a spiral fashion around the bone. One at a time, each ham is then coated with the glaze - a blend that is similar to what might be used to make pumpkin pie. This sweet coating is then caramelized with a blowtorch by hand until the glaze bubbles and melts, turning golden brown. If needed, more of the coating is added, and the blowtorch is fired up until the glaze is just right. It's this careful process that turns the same size ham that costs 20 dollars in a supermarket into one that customers gladly shell out 3 to 4 times as much to share during the holiday season.
    For this clone recipe, we will re-create the glaze that you can apply to a smoked/cooked bone-in ham of your choice. Look for a ham that is pre-sliced. Otherwise you'll have to slice it yourself with a sharp knife, then the glaze will be applied. To get the coating just right you must use a blowtorch. Get the kind that are used for crème brulee from almost any kitchen supply store. They're usually pretty cheap. And don't worry - I didn't leave out an ingredient. No honey is necessary to re-create this favorite holiday glaze. Happy Holidays!!

(cont.)

False

1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone-in
    (pre-sliced is best)
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground clove
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

1. If you couldn't find a pre-sliced ham, the first thing you must do is slice it. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed. You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they fall apart or off the bone. You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom. You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.

2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.

3. Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto wax paper and spread it around evenly.

4. Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated. Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer, pre-sliced surface.

5. Turn the ham onto its flat end on the plate. Use a blowtorch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but does not burn. Spin the plate so you can torch the entire surface of the ham. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well glazed (don't expect to use all of the sugar mixture). Serve the ham cold or reheated, just like the real thing.

Makes 1 holiday ham.

False

Well, I was going to do the "Honey Baked" ham, but then I saw this recipe and since i love pineapple and cloves on ham so much, I thought i'd do this one this year. Going to make it for a party on the 22nd so i'll post a review on what everyone thinks of it.Smile

This is a different Ham Recipe~Moist Glazed Ham~      
    Posted by: cllw Replies: 0 Posted on: 10/14/2007 11:36:51 AM     
    #T896670       
    I haven't tried this, but I thought it looked interesting. I am curious as how sweet this would be with a pound of brown sugar!
    Linda

Moist Glazed Ham

Ingredients
    a large whole ham
    whole cloves
    1 pound of brown sugar
    one can of Classic Coke
    burgundy wine
    pineapple juice

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

Remove the rind from a large whole ham and score the fat in the traditional diamond pattern.

Stud it heavily with whole cloves and place it in a large roaster.

Pack One whole pound of brown sugar on to the top of the ham just as thick and as high as you cant pack it. Dont worry about the part that falls off it will be left in the pan to melt into the glaze

Put this in the 400 degree oven for thirty to forty minutes until the brown sugar begins to melt.

Then pour one can of Classic Coke over the ham very gradually trying not to wash off the melting sugar.

Reduce the oven temp to 325 degrees.

For the remaining basting you will use a mixture of half burgundy wine and half pineapple juice basting every 30 minutes for 4 hours. Be sure to dip up the pan juices and spoon them back up over the top too. The idea is to keep the meat super moist for the whole time it is cooking.

You may "tent it" with foil the first 3 and a half hours and I always do if I have a lot going on and might become distracted. This will be the best tasting ham you have every ate so be willing to devote a little extra time to it.

False

Boy, I feel "guilty" with my "recipe" as it's not very involved!!  Score the ham...pour some Vernors ginger ale over it...baste ham with more Vernors every 30 mins or so while baking.  I use 1-2 cans, depending on the size of the ham.  Makes a great "ginger-y" gravy with the drippings.

Guess this isn't worth much though if you don't have Vernors ginger ale in your area!!

Smile 

False

The one I'm using this year is:

1/2 cup Dijon mustard

1/2 cup orange marmalade

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

Brush on during last 30 minutes of baking

Glazes I've used in the past (and loved all of them):

1.  Orange juice and brown sugar

2.  Plum jam

3.  Cranberry sauce heated until it melts

4.  Brown sugar, honey and spicy coarse grain mustard

5.  Crushed pineapple, brown sugar and honey

6.  Apricot preserves

7.  Cherry jam

False

This is what I have used for the past 30+ years. It's the entire recipe including the glaze. Big Smile     MM

Baked Ham

1 ham
     Mustard (yellow)
     Brown sugar
     Orange juice concentrate (or pineapple juice)
     Cloves

Cook ham at 300° for 20 minutes per pound. About an hour before done, peel off
    top layer of rind and slash "X"'s over fat. Spread with mustard. Coat
    thoroughly with brown sugar. Drizzle orange juice concentrate over all. Cook
    final hour. If desired, add a few whole cloves to ham before final hour of
    cooking.

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Thank you Dog

False

Wattle Paradise

To Suzycreamcheese,Deonia,Sparty(maybe can use different brand gingerale) NavyGrammy TX andMarineMom Texas. Thank you all for your recipes. They are all great. I'll have my DH pick the one that he thinks is the best, then of course we'll use the one I pick...lol Thanks again. Oh Deonia I loved that picture you sent. I wish I knew how to do all that stuff. It would take a classroom of teachers just to teach me...lol...I'm so dense. I would need someone to tell me word by word on how to do things on here...I'm so slow. Years ago I knew how to do everything on a computer, but then my computer crashed and I could't aford a new one for a few years and forgot everything I was shown. Oh well, someday I'll get it back....Again thanks to all of you who sent me these great glazes.

False

Sparty, never feel guilty of any recipe you post. Sometimes people are looking for the very simplest thing and appreciate someone who posts it. And something can always be substituted for the "vernor's". Coke, for example, which until just recently, was the only thing I used. along with a few cloves because that's the way my Bigmother did it.Smile But, since i've gotten on this board, i've tried a lot of new things. Most of which are very good. I'm really interested to see how this ham recipe i''m trying this year turns out.

False

BUMP

False

Bump, will look for John's Ham Glaze, try it for Easter last year, and everyone loved it.

Linda 

False

* Exported from MasterCook *

John's Ham Glaze

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Glaze

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 Cans Coca Cola
    3/4 Cup brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon prepared(yellow)mustard
    1 med. onion -- finely diced
    10 whole cloves
    1/2 Teaspoon salt
    1/2 Teaspoon black pepper

Combine all in a nonstick saucepan and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat and strain to remove cloves. Return to heat and simmer until mixture condenses to 1/2 cup. It will be very thick and gooey, but that's the way you want it. Brush on your ham three or four time during the last half hour of cooking time. If it thickens too much when it cools, it may be necessary microwave to thin it back out.

Here it is, I used it for Easter, and everyone loved the taste of the Ham, just remember to remove the cloves.

I also baked the ham in a crock pot last Christmas, covered ham with brown sugar, mixed with a little apple cider, poured more cider over the ham, wrapped well in foil, and put in the crockpot, and cooked 6-8 hours.  This also turned out great, with a great sweet, apple favor.

Linda 

Linda 

False

Kathie, made that Moist Glazed Ham recipe i posted here earlier and we had it for dinner at our Christmas party today. It was delicious! People kept remarking about how moist and delicious it was all through the meal. I have to admit, I was kinda apprehensive about the burgandy wine, but decided to do exactly as the recipe stated only i only had half a ham so I only put on half a box of brown sugar. every thing else i did the same and although no ammounts ,except "equal", were posted for the mix of pineapple juice and wine. I used 2 cups of each. I will have to say, it really is the best ham i'v ever had. I had intended to add John's Glaze to it, but didn't have enough time to prepare it. It really didn't need anything else, I just like the taste of mustard glazes on ham. Everyone liked the Southern biscuits too.

False

Thank you all for your wonderful glazes. They all sound so good. I think I'll have to buy 1 ham a week until I try all of them.....LOL....actually I will try them all eventually.. I really appreciate your help. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. And I hope you all have a great New Year as well

Kathie

False