what do you cook for New Years? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what do you cook for New Years?

Last post Dec 29, 2008 10:14 PM by NavyGrammyTX . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • what do you cook for New Years?

My Dh is from the south. he likes to have a sothern new years day meal....... salt pork, black eyed peas and corn bread and greens of some kind.

well last year I smoked the house up with the salt pork. I think we'll have pork chops, mustard greens, black eyed peas and corn bread.

I like his tradition/superstition of NOT WASHING CLOTHES ON NEW YEARS DAY!

So what does every one else cook?

False
    Amy
  • Re: what do you cook for New Years?

We always have a big party so I make a bunch of munchies. I haven't totally decided on this year's menu but I'm thinking:

chicken wings

bean dip

little smokies wrapped in bacon

bacon wrapped jalapenos

chips/salsa

meat/cheese tray

cheesecake

pickle wraps

veggie dip

False

Tradition as I was growing up was always black-eyes peas (for coins in your pocket) and cabbage or greens (for dollars in your wallet) - So those are two must haves!  Will either have meatloaf or pork chops along with cornbread and not sure about dessert - depends on how many of the Christmas cookies are around!  lol

pam Angel

False
    We'll have ham and sweet potatoes, black-eyed peas with a dime cooked in them, Mashed potatoes some kind of greens and biscuits. I'm southern too LOL
    False
    Now I have to have white beans (great northern or navy) and then cornbread and cabbage (for 'folding money'). My mother always said we had to eat this on New Years so we'd have money throughout the year. I'd complain and say 'but we never have enough money even when we eat beans'. Her reply was 'just think how poor we'd be if we didn't eat beans'. We still eat beans.
    False

Cookie - I too said the same thing and got the same reply!  lol

False

We have greens (collards, mustard's, or turnips), blacked-eyed peas, rice, cornbread or rolls. And either pork-chops or ham. *Southern to the bone*

Pat E:} 

False
    Pat E

Paradise  I grew up in the midwest and we always had saurkraut and pork for good luck on New Year's Day.  When we lived in Atlanta I was introduced to Hoppin' John and loved it.  So now to cover all the bases, we have both.  Yum.

False

I alway's do  Ribs and SaurKraut, Black~Eyed Peas, Mustard Greens, Fried Hog Jowel and Corn Bread and Peach Cobbler for dessert.

False

My family tradition is to have a pork roast and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes on New Year's day for luck.

I use lots of garlic on the roast and put brown sugar into the sauerkraut, then make a medium brown roux of canola oil and flour to thicken the sauerkraut about an hour before serving. We put the sauerkraut gravy over the mashed potatoes. It's delicious.

False

I usually cook pork chops, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, and some sort of dessert.

False
    Diana Buchan

Bumping for more ideas! 

False

wow how neat that some one dug this thread up from last year.......

This year we are making corned beef, and cabage and the traditional black eyed peas. (and some vegetable that the rest of us will eat).

Today is our anniversary and I am making fried pork chops, corn bread, and pinto beans and some kind of greens and a heart shaped cake

False
    Amy

The kids will be over and we'll have black eye peas with hamhock and bacon, fried taters and cornbread.  Michelle's going to bring over chocolate pudding.  We are keeping it simple.

False

I grew up with pork, sauerkraut and dumplings and mashed potatoes. Now I fix a pork chops, collards, blackeyed peas and cornbread. You know..when in the south..

Dee..never heard about putting a dime in the peas. Tell us more..

False