Ratio of whole wheat to white flour | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ratio of whole wheat to white flour

Last post Oct 23, 2009 4:22 PM by emeraldcooks . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Ratio of whole wheat to white flour
    HI ALL, Does anyone know what the ratio of whole wheat flour to white flour is when trying to cut the white flour from a recipe and still have a light texture?? I would like some recipes using wheat flour, can you use it in muffins or cakes? I'd like to make homemade whole wheat pasta with my kitchen aid any recipes for that? I thank you all ahead of time.The Kid
    False
  • RE: Ratio of whole wheat to white flour
    In most all the bread recipes it states to replace 1 cup of the white flour with wheat flour. I would guess it would be 1 cup wheat for every 2 cups white.
    False
    People usually try 1/2 and 1/2 if the recipe is written for white flour. Then you can try a bigger percentage if you want, and see how it goes. Sorry I can't help you on the pasta. I buy that ready made in the whole wheat version.
    False
    My family cannot tell the difference in whole wheat spaghetti than the regular but will not eat whole wheat macaroni or any other whole wheat pasta other than the spaghetti. I don't know why the spaghetti doesn't have the strong taste as the other pastas but most of the whole wheat pastas are nasty tasting.
    False
    You can use just about any amount of either flour that you want. If your proportion of whole wheat is getting too heavy a product, add some gluten flour also. When bread making, I add in the whole wheat flour first, with the liquid and let this sit for about 10 minutes. then continue on with the recipe, adding the remaining ingredients and the rest of the flour. This "sponging" will result in a lighter product. I also use my own flour that I grind, which I find is much lighter in texture than store bought whole wheat flour. I use a cup in my pastry recipe, with about 4-5 cups white flour, per pound of shortening, makes delicious pastry. Linda
    False
    bump Any recipes or links for homemade whole wheat pastas? Thanks
    False
    I normally use my bread machine to mix my dough and I use 2 c. whole wheat or other grain flours to 1 c. white bread flour. The bread is always very light and never heavy. I sometimes add cracked wheat and wheat germ, putting it in my measuring cup first, then finishing with the flour.
    False
    Here is a web site with several hints on how to modify recipes to make them healthier- including substituting wheat flour for white flour.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000.html

False
  • Re: RE: Ratio of whole wheat to white flour

Do you know how to make whole wheat pastry flour?  I think it's ww flour mixed w/ baking powder.  Do you know the ratios?  I buy at health food store sometimes.  Makes the best chocolate chip cookies!  Is pricey for a large family, though.  Thanks for sponging tip!  Denise

False