Cooking time for 2 Spiral Cut Hams | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cooking time for 2 Spiral Cut Hams

Last post Dec 27, 2007 4:45 PM by Pghjan . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Cooking time for 2 Spiral Cut Hams

This Saturday we are having our family Christmas dinner since everyone lives out of town and has small children. who wanted to be home for Santa. I am baking 2,  9 pound,  spiral cut hams. I will be baking them in the same pan.

My question concerns the baking time. Do I calculate the time based upon 18 pounds, since that is the total weight? Or do I calculate it on 9 pounds since that is what each weighs?

Thanks,

Jan

False
  • Re: Cooking time for 2 Spiral Cut Hams

Jan - I cooked mine at Christmas in my roaster.  Works great and frees up my oven.  I cooked a ten pound in 2 1/2 hours.  Plan longer and test it periodically for warmth.  You can always turn the heat to keep warm but its hard to get it done faster without it drying out.

Vera

False

I should think you would time the warming for nine pounds rather than 18. Most spiral cut hams are meant to be served at room temperature or barely warmed, as they do tend to dry out.

For Christmas dinner, I purchased a 10 pound Aldi's spiral sliced ham, did the "torching" with a clone for Honey Baked Ham, put it in a roaster lined with heavy duty foil, poured a can of Vernor's Ginger Ale in the bottom, and added the ham. I then pulled the foil up around the ham and sealed it well. I think I only had it in the oven at 325 for approximately an hour and a quarter and it was mostly hot with some "warm" areas -- but most importantly not dried out! In past years, I've always put it in too long and dried it out.

Most sites I looked at recommended 10 minutes a pound at 325, but I thought 100 minutes was too long.

Good luck!

~~susie.

False

I agree with Susie.  I've dried them out by cooking according to directions.  The best ham we've had

was just heated...not recooked.

False

These are Appleton Hams. I bought one last year at all the recommenations here.  I was unable to find Vernors Ginger Ale in our area so I used Coke instead. One of the repeated suggestions last year was to wrap the ham in foil so that it didn't dry out.   It was delicious and very moist.  But one ham didn't allow me to send home leftover with everyone so I bought 2 this year. 

I will cook them based upon 9 pounds.  I have an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature.

Thanks Vera and Susie for the suggestions.

Jan

False

Pghjan......I might suggest you do what I did with a spiral ham......I went ahead & sliced it, layed it in an pan, added just a little bit of water (or you could use another type of liquid).....covered it & heated it. The ham's already cooked so that saves a lot of time & mess.   ~Sande~

False

Jan, those Aldi Appleton's are the best! If you can't find Vernor's any ginger ale would do, but so would Sprite or Coke, as you said!

Good luck, let us know how it turned out for you!

~~susie.

False

I would calculate it at the 9 pound rate . I did mine for Christmas in my crock pot . I mixed brown sugar and mustard ( I don't like that stuff that comes with them ) and spread it over the top , and cooked on high for half an hour and then turned it to low for another 2 hours  .I left it on warm till serving time and   basted it often  with the juices from the bottom .It was really good . I made one a year ago and way over cooked it . It was  so nasty , I swore I would never do another one , but well  , I tried again and it was so much better !

False
    Photobucket Click for Bunker Hill, West Virginia Forecast

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.   I'm going to make them in the same pan but I'm going to treat each one separately and use the 9 pounds for the cooking time.  I'm also going to wrap each one individually in foil with a brown sugar glaze and a can of coke. I'll let you all know next week how it turned out. 

Thanks again,

Jan 

False