Knorr Newburg Sauce Replacement Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Knorr Newburg Sauce Replacement Recipe

Last post Oct 15, 2012 2:53 PM by gidgetcasey . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Knorr Newburg Sauce Replacement Recipe

I am looking for a recipe to replace the recently discontinued Knorr Newburg sauce. Alternately I would love to find another company that makes a Newburg sauce mix!

I prefer recipes that call for Sherry, not Brandy or Cognac!

My family absolutely loves that Newburg sauce, and I finally used my very last packet on Christmas. I did email Knorr to request that they make it again, and I have found a few online importers who carry it, but a recipe would be the best option!

Thanks ahead of time to anyone with ideas! I am new on here, but look forward to sharing recipes and tips!

Thanks

Adrianna

False
  • Re: Knorr Newburg Sauce Replacement Recipe

SmileWelcome to the BB. Hope you enjoy the experience! I can't help you with a recipe but hopefully by bumping your request, someone will be able to help in your search. latinrose

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose

Seafood Newburg Sauce

• 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2 teaspoons shallots, minced, or finely minced onion
    • 2 tablespoons paprika
    • 1/2 cup dry sherry
    • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    • 2 teaspoons brandy or dry sherry
    • 2 cups cream sauce or white sauce
    • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    • pinch cayenne pepper

rnum=Math.round(Math.random() * 100000); ts=String.fromCharCode(60); if (window.self != window.top) { nf='' } else { nf='NF/' }; document.write(ts+'script src="http://www.burstnet.com/cgi-bin/ads/ad9170a.cgi/v=2.1S/sz=300x250A/NZ/'+rnum+'/'+nf+'RETURN-CODE/JS/">'+ts+'/script>'); Click Here

Melt butter in saute pan. Add the shallots or onion and saute over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent. Add the paprika and sherry, and saute for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomato paste.

Add the brandy or sherry to the saute pan and cook a few minutes longer. Add the cream sauce, thyme, and cayenne. Cook for 2 minutes more.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
    Recipe adapted from "Red Lion Inn Cookbook"

Printer-

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

INGREDIENTS

• 1/4 cup butter
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 1/4 cup dry sherry
    • 1 pinch paprika
    • 3 tablespoons ketchup
    • 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 (6 ounce) cans small shrimp, drained
    number of stars

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine butter, flour and salt in a saucepan. Cook for two minutes. Slowly pour in milk and bring mixture to a boil.
    2. Stir sherry into the mixture (to taste), paprika, catsup and Worcestershire sauce. Place seafood in the saucepan and heat thoroughly. Serve hot
    False

Newburg sauce recipe

Recipe ingredients:

• 3 tablespoons butter
    • 1 cup clam juice
    • 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • Pinch of salt
    • 3 tablespoons sherry
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 4 tablespoons light cream

Recipe method:

• Melt butter over a medium low flame.
    • When completely melted, add paprika and stir for 2 minutes.
    • Add the flour to the butter and stir for 2 to 3 minutes to cook the roux.
    • Stir constantly to avoid burning.
    • Add the clam juice and stir until thickening begins.
    • Add 1/4 cup milk, light cream and sherry.
    • Simmer for 5 minutes and, if needed, add remaining 1/4 cup milk.
    • Serve immediately or refrigerate for future use.

Tags: Newburg, sauce, recipe, seafood, recipes, cooking

Share and enjoy:
    False

I am also BADLY in need of same.  I make a lobster chowder and the Knorr sauce has been ESSENTIAL.  H E L P>

jenkinrl@muohio.edu

False

Thanks for the recipe.  I have been searching for the Knorr product ever since we moved to Arizona.  I use it over baked Salmon and also in a Shrimp, Crab and Lobster Bisque that I serve on special occassions. 

Ghost Dancer

False

Knorr discontinued their Newburg sauce and white sauce in those convenient 1.5 oz. packages, but the white is still available in large containers.  I use it a lot, and as a base for low-carb Bearnaise, Hollandaise and Newburg ... start with 2 cups of hot prepared Knorr white sauce, add 2 T sauted chopped onion, 1/2 c dry sherry and 1T tomato paste for color.

False

My husband and I miss the green Knorr Newburg packets.  I have not seen the white sauce in the larger containers.  Is it dry like the Newburg packet or liquid/paste?  Your recipe sounds like it could result in a Newburg sauce close in taste to the Knorr packets.  What is your assessment?

I may try it since I have tried many other recipes that can't even come close.  Why did Knorr do this to all of the Newburg lovers out here?

cmborg

False

Hi.  I just inherited about five cases of Knorr Newburg Sauce.  Each case has 80 packets I think.  Now thatsalota sauce.  Can send.  email me at verbatimfingers@yahoo.com if interested.

False

Adrianna,

I feel your pain--I, too, lament the loss of Knorr's Newburg Sauce. I can't for the life of me figure out why they--and everyone else who ever carried a similar product, as far as I know--decided there wasn't enough of a demand to continue carrying it. It was by far one of their best (and that's saying a lot). I guess there's no accounting for taste, huh? Ah, well...

Anyway, until I find an alternative on the market, I've been improvising with their Hollandaise mix, mixing just enough tomato paste or V-8 juice to color it without altering the flavor, and adding sherry to taste. It ain't perfect, not by a long shot, but it's actually not a bad "make-do" solution until somebody out there decides to "cowboy-up" and fill in the void in the marketplace.

I hope this helps.

Bon appetit,
    Greg

False

Still have any sauce left??

False

Got any left? I'm lost without it! I've emailed and begged Knorr to start producing it again to no avail. It was the secret to my success.

False

I was unable to open the lind to white sauce or cream sauce could you please type that out too....thank you so much...I searched all over town for knorr newburg sauce today only to come home and find this.  I'm glad it was here.

Thank you.

False

I too have searched for a good newburg sauce since the packets were discontinued. This is the closest I have found so far:

Classic Newburg Sauce

2 tb. butter

2 tb. flour

2 cups water

2 tsp Seafood Redi-Base (the professional soup base for home cooks)

1/2 tsp Old Bay Seafood Seasoning

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp dry sherry

2 Tbsp heavy cream

Melt butter in saucepan, add flour to form a roux.  Slowly wisk in water and Redi-Base until blended.  Add Old Bay Seasoning, paprika and W sauce, bring to boil.  Remove from heat, add sherry and cream.  Serve.    Makes 2 1/2 cups 

peggy_brow@yahoo.com

False