WHAT IS CARDAMOM AND WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

WHAT IS CARDAMOM AND WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE????

Last post Jul 23, 2004 8:15 PM by bagelbaker_OH . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • WHAT IS CARDAMOM AND WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE????
    I have an interesting recipe here that I'd like to try "Cottage Street Bakery Dirt Bombs". It calls for 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom. I've never used cardamom before nor have I ever tasted it (that I know of). Would love to know what it tastes like, strong taste, etc.

Thanks,

Barb
    False
  • RE: WHAT IS CARDAMOM AND WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE????
    It has sort of a spice - ginger/nutmeg type flavor. A little different, but very flavorful - I like it. It is used in some Swedish cakes and cookies - also in some breads.
    Triainatlanta
    False
    Tria
    Actually, it is cardamon -

see the posts below:

Posted by: bebeblues Posted on: 1/29/2003 1:07:37 PM
    #R1072826
    Substitutes: brown cardamom OR equal parts ground nutmeg and cinnamon OR equal parts ground cloves and cinnamon OR nutmeg OR cinnamon

RE: cardamon
    Posted by: TROOPERCOZ Posted on: 1/29/2003 1:11:43 PM
    #R1072847
    I looked this up in my cook book and it says that ground ginger is a substitution for the cardamom. I have looked for it too and was surprised at how much it costs. My cookbook says that cardamom is "spicey-sweet with peppery and ginger-like tones." I hope that this helps!! Let me know if you try it.

Erica

False
    Tria
    BarbNY, Cardamom has a taste all of it's own - I don't know how to describe it. It's not a savoury spice but one that is used in baking. It doesn't taste at all like cinnamom as an example - not as pungent - I find it milder. I think it's the National spice of Finland (really), because a lot of their sweets and breads call for it. Also it's kind of expensive. If you've ever had Finnish Butter Bread or Finnish Coffee Cake it's probably in them. After saying all that, I don't know if I've enlightened you or not - but I tried.
    False
    I have used cardamon one time, making Swedish rolls for a 80 some year old neighbor lady years ago, I did not have ground cardamon, so I wrapped some up in saran wrap and used my metal meat mallet. Needless to say, I was getting tired, so I whapped it a good one and missed, only to get my finger! I saw spots believe me and almost passed out from the pain, LOL, DH found me laying on the couch. I finished the rolls and she loved them, but I never made another one. Learning lesson from me, don't be so stupid with the meat mallet. hehe. Connie
    False
    Check out www.penzeys.com for their price. I know that their price is alot less then out local grocery stores. Carol
    False

Carol

Cardamom has no substitute, once you are familiar with this spice you will know the diference, it is used in the subcontinent (India/ pakistan) in coooking and sweet dishes to flavour and for aromatic purpose...It is included spice mixture for "masala chai" (spice tea)...it is expensive even in these countries ..where it is used almost daily for cooking and some use it as a mouth freshner after alcholic drinks...
    False
    Thanks everyone. Now I will try the recipe and will check around for the best price.

Barb
    False
    Even though it is expensive, most recipes call for a very little amount, so it's worth the price.

Kelly
    False
    Grocery store here carries the tiny containers of Tone's spices. They are .99 a jar. Cardamon is one of the spices that I buy in small amounts. It smells just like Vick's salve to me but it adds amazing flavor to breads. When my nose feels stuffy, I always sniff the cardamon jar!
    False
    Since I have been living in Japan and Korea and eaten a lot of Indian food, I fell in love with cardamom! Every time I go to Singapore or Malaysia I stock up on it, but now it is readily available here in Japan. It is hard to find in the States, at least Virginia and Kentucky! But, it is so wonderful as part of the tea masala and other drinks and foods from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, not to mention in countries where those people have immigrated. And then it is popular in Scandinavia! Most people don`t know how popular Indian food, especially curry rice, is in Japan! Enjoy getting to know it!
    False
    I once made a very dense, chocolatey-type cake with Guiness and cardamom.
    (Personally, I wouldn't sub anything in for the original flavor of cardamom!) :)
    False
    Bump to keep track.
    False

"Disabled And Proud!" Both me and my only child are SSA Registered-Certified Disabled PWDs. I was born in the state of California, in the county of Santa Clara, in the city of San José. ***In every woman there is a Queen. Speak to the Queen and the Queen will answer. - Norwegian Proverb***

-
    False