Paraffin Wax in candy? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Paraffin Wax in candy?

Last post Nov 18, 2012 11:19 PM by nadinas . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Paraffin Wax in candy?

Is paraffin wax in candy really needed? have only seen it in the coatng part of a recipe.  I haven't ever used paraffin wax before.  Where do you buy it, about what is the cost? Is there someing you can use in place of paraffin? I found a recipe that I want to try.  I just can't see ADDING wax to candy, and what the point would be. Could you please fill me in?...

Thank you....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: Paraffin Wax in candy?

Piggy, it is used in very small amounts and really harmless. It gicpves candy/chocolate coating a bit more hardness and makes it a little more shiny.

So many things you buy are waxed: apples, pears,grapes,oranges, lemons, cucumbers, radishes, rudabagas, carrots, peppers, turnips. Just lay any of the afroe mentioned into some lukewarm water and the wax coating will turn white.(Very hard to get off)

Food grade paraffin wax can be found in any large super market in the section where they sell canning supplies. Many years ago people used to put a coat of paraffin on top of jelly to keep air out, and then they sealed the jar with cellophane paper and string instead of lids and rings.

If your super market doesn't have it you can find it invthe candy making section of Walmart. If you eat chocolate you will have eaten your share of paraffin wax without any ill effect..

False

Forgot to say that it is not expensive. It comes in  1 lbs packages the same size of 1 lbs of butter but maybe in the Walmart candy making supplies you can get it in smaller quantities.. It is also used in candle making but for that purpose one doesn't need food grade..

False

Dog Bark! Bark!

It's true you can teach an old dog new tricks lol!

gr_elo thank you for the informtion about the paraffin wax. I appeciate the information.Guess I must have been eating it since I was a kid and didn't even know it. I do remeber people using it on top of jams and jellies and the trouble they had to get that darn wax out without spilling that  special homemade taste treat inside!....

piggykins

False

You should never use parrafin in anything anymore. Wax is made from petroleum products and petroleum products cause cancer. Years ago I made candies with parrafin wax . For some reason I needed to make a call about a recipe to our local Home Economist in our county at our university. When I talked about the wax they informed me that was a health risk and to never use parrafin wax in candies. Yes, I know that it is on some of our fruits and vegies.I always blanche things like that in hot boling water for a very short time to remove as much wax as I can .

What that Home economist suggested is to use a small amount of shortening. Start with one teaspoon when you are melting and if you need more you can add more. Sometimes we need to use that to thin the chocolate. As far as I know the manufactures who make candies no longer and for a long time do not use parrafin wax. I too have recipes that says to use parrafin wax and these recipes are at least 50 years old. But I use now the shortening to thin the chocolate.

My last word is this: NEVER EVER USE PARRAFIN WAX IN ANYTHING YOU EAT. About the only thing I think it may be used for is to seal the jars when making jam or jelly but I think for the most part that practice has been abandoned due to the fact it can cause cancer. I really don't know what the purpose was to use it in candies in the first place.

False

Thanks for telling me! That was the problem for some older recipes.  As far as using it on the jams erc.  I'd never use it.  What a hassle to get out and usually you end up spilling that good stuff inside on yourself - seen many people including myself do that....

piggykins

False

I found out that the reason for using parafinn wax in candies was to give it that shiny look and a harder texture. So I guess we need to ask what is in candy when we buy from a candy shop or store or check the labels. I would not risk the possibility of getting cancer to use it. I also worry it could still happen to me because I used it over 30 year ago but not for long so I am hoping that the short time I used it is in my favor. Now I would never serve it to anyone either.

False

If Paraffin wax is THAT dangerous then why is it still being sold as FOOD GRADE?

LIFE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH, the air we breathe or the water we drink can cause cancer. I must admit that outside of the use of putting on jelly to seal it off I had enever heard of paraffin wax being used in candy until I came to the US.

In Germany we used a hard palm fat called "Palmin" that came in large, flat blocks and people also used it instead of lard or other fat for frying. Now we are told coconut oil or the hard palm fats are also not good for us, lard is not good, butter is not good, even maragrine is not good because it has hydrogebnated oils in it and most cooking oils are also refined and hydrogenated except for organic, unrefined oils.

So: what is left to eat that IS good for you?

I don't even want to get into all te chemicals they use to grow our crops and those they use they add to animal feed or all the preservatives in almost all food on market shelves.

I am looking for am unpopulated, lush island in the Pacific to live like Robinson Cruso, if you know of one for sale cheap, give me a call.

False

BTW.   Real licorice can cause cancer and so can many herbs people ingest as teas or in other preparations. The worse one of those is Comfrey leaf which cuses cirrhosis (?) of the liver.

Like I said:

Life is hazardous to your health

False

Liquid paraffin (medicinal) is used to aid bowel movement in persons suffering chronic constipation; it passes through the alimentary canal without itself being taken into the body, but it limits the amount of water removed from the stool. In the food industry, where it may be called "wax", it can be used as a lubricant in mechanical mixing, applied to baking tins to ensure that loaves are easily released when cooked and as a coating for fruit or other items requiring a "shiny" appearance for sale.

• Food-grade paraffin wax:
    • Shiny coating used in candy-making; although edible, it is nondigestible, passing right through the body without being broken down
    • Coating for many kinds of hard cheese, like Edam cheese.
    • Sealant for jars, cans, and bottles
    • Chewing gum additive
  •  

I have never heard of paraffin causing cancer!!!   Anyone can make any idiotic statement.   If the little bit used in candy coating DID cause cancer, you would have to eat so much candy that you would be so fat  that you wouldn't be able to get out of bed.  You then would have a worse problem to worry about. 

IT IS NOT ABSORBED BY YOUR BODY!!!

False
  1. Click for Rochester, Minnesota Forecast    

Oldgirl, if I am not mistaken the paraffin wax in liquid form is called MINERAL OIL and you are right, you still get it in drug stores and it is used as an oral  lubricant for constipated people, and the wax is also in suppositories.

Willing or not, I have most likely eaten some  in US candy and am still kicking. To tell the truth, I am much more afraid of a war, a tonado and a few other things than of minute amounts of food grade paraffin wax. However, as a lamp oil it is lousy, I'll take kerosene any day even if it does not smell like roses  when you have to refill the lamps, it  gives more light.

Life is hazardous to your health.

False

I have a fairly new recipe, at least it is fairly new to me, for Truffles, which I wanted to make for Valentines Day.  The Paraffin is added to the melted chocolate to thin the chocolate while aiding the "hardening" process.  Without it, the chocolate on these particular Truffles would have been too thick.  However, the recipe I had was not exactly explicit in the amount of paraffin to use, so be advised that using too much paraffin acts a little like someone putting ex-lax into the chocolate.......

False

I once used paraffin in my candy making, but now I use a tempering unit and temper the chocolate.  It works just as well, giving a gloss finish and a "snap" when you bite into the candy.  It's easy too. Only takes about 30 minutes to temper 1 1/2 lbs of chocolate and I don't have to worry about burning the chocolate.
    False

Just because someone is a home economist, doesn't make them a dr.  I, also am a home economist--and I've never heard of parafin causing cancer--I'm not saying it does, or does not.  Just cancer and it's causes really aren't the specialty of home economists.

Now, as to your chocolate--the simple solution is to buy good quality coating chocolate (like Merckens).  It's formulated properly for that use.  I used to use parafin decades ago (none of my family has cancer yet), but with the current availability of good quality coating chocolate, I don't bother to create my own. 

BTW--my grandmother always made a lot of coated candy for us--for every holiday.  She ALWAYS used parafin in her chocolate.  No one ate more of her candy than my grandfather.  He lived well into his 80's and died of old age, not a bit of cancer--back in the days when 80's were considered EXTREMELY elderly. 

You really have to take a lot of the cancer scare talk with a truckload of salt.  Many of those things we're warned about causing cancer--well, they don't tell us how much we'd have to eat for that to happen.  I remember a huge scare when I was in college about cyclamates.  Turned out, you'd have to drink a BATHTUB full of diet soda every day, for the health problems they were saying cyclamates caused.  When parafin is used in candy-making, it's a tiny bit.  A small, 1" square is enough for coating a couple of pounds of chocolate.  Unless you're a real pig, you're not going to be eating much parafin--AND it generally passes right through, if you catch my drift.

As to food grade mineral oil?  I--and most spoon/cutting board makers--use it to condition the wood of my homemade wooden kitchen utensils.  I haven't heard a word about it causing cancer, either.  And it's for sale in pretty much every drug store and grocery store I've been in.

False

When I was a kid, we used to eat those big wax lips that you could buy in the candy store. Some of the lips were made of carnuba, while others were made of parrafin. One day, when I was finished chewing, I decided that I should just swallow it. It did not go peacefully. It went down sideway and horrified me. I was 8 or 9, so I told my mom. We decided that it would pass naturally. I never forgot that day and it sat in the back of my mind. One day, it did finally pass. I was over 30 years old. It once again, did not go peacefully, I will not go into detail, but it was in the same shape and looked just like it did the day I swallowed it, only it was as hard as any plastic I have ever seen. Obviously, you do not intend to use as much wax in your candy as I ate that day, but I just wanted to share my parrafin wax horror story. I think I'm lucky that they did not find a "mass" in my intestines and call it a tumor. Oddly enough, you can still buy parrafin wax lips and parrafin candy products, like those tiny wax bottles that contain a candy liquid. Somebody isn't paying attention. Can you use carnuba wax in your candy?

False