Anyone from Longview Tx out there, need to ask a ?-please help! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone from Longview Tx out there, need to ask a ?-please help!

Last post Dec 23, 2008 9:07 AM by ontosg3 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Anyone from Longview Tx out there, need to ask a ?-please help!

Last Spring we were going through Longview Texas and ate our dinner at a place called "Papacita's.  We had the best thing called FLAMEDO but for the life of me I can't find a recipe for it.  If anyone has a recipe, I would be so grateful.  We just don't have anything like that here in Maine!  Boy oh Boy, was it good, I've thought about it and wanted to make some for almost a year.........can someone please help me? 

False
  • Re: Anyone from Longview Tx out there, need to ask a ?-please help!

Hi! I'm not from Texas, but would the rest. have a web site where you could check out and see if they would give you a recipe? I have never heard of it myself....sounds intresting!

Jet

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Could this be what you are looking for?

Queso Flameado Recipe #60800

"Flaming cheese" is all the rage in Mexican restaurants here. This is a simple recipe to make it at home. It's based on the recipe in the Los Barrios cookbook.
    by PanNan
    2-4
    servings
    time to make 30 min 15 min prep

1/4 lb chorizo sausage, casings removed
    1/2 onion, thinly sliced
    1 small tomato, diced
    1/4 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
    1 serrano chili pepper, minced (optional)
    2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
    2 tablespoons 151-proof liquor, such as everclear
    6 flour tortillas

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Brown chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes.
    3. Pour off the fat.
    4. Add the onion, tomato and mushrooms and chile, if using, and sauté until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
    5. Remove from the heat.
    6. Meanwhile, spread the cheese in a small metal baking dish and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until completely melted.
    7. Remove from the oven.
    8. Pour the chorizo mixture over the melted cheese.
    9. Pour the liquor over the top, and using a long match, carefully ignite the liquor- the flames will die down in 30 to 40 seconds.
    10. Heat the tortillas (can wrap in a paper towel and heat in microwave 1 minute).
    11. Divide and place cheese/chorizo mixture inside each tortilla and folding them over to form a taco.
    False

Jet,thanks so much for responding to my post.  I did call the restaurant and the yound man I spoke with said his wife makes it and so I may be able to get it from her.  If I ever do, I'll post it on here to share with everyone.  It was really good. Thanks again, Anne (from Maine)

False

FAJITA FLAMEADO   A spicy blend of beef or chicken fajitas, sautéed mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, Monterey Jack cheese and a drizzle of Chili con Queso, baked and then served Flaming at your table.

Found this from their web site to help us come up with a recipe.  I think you could grill fajitas for one meal and then make this with the leftovers for the next meal.  Place all the cooked ingredients in a baking dish and then cover with Monterey Jack Cheese and bake till bubbly, add Queso just before serving.        

False
    Sandra , 45 years old, mom of 5 children, live in Hutto Texas (20 minuites from Austin)

Wanted to say to that there  are some Mexican cheeses at the store that would be so good cooked in this.  Can't recall the name and don't have any in my fridge right now but the cheeses  are usually round and white and located with the ethnic refrigerated items.

False
    Sandra , 45 years old, mom of 5 children, live in Hutto Texas (20 minuites from Austin)

Hi cheaperbythedozen (Sandra),

I am just down Hwy 79 from you, just a little north of Thrall.   DH had a Dr's appointment in Round Rock this morning, and we stopped and had lunch at the Chili's in Hutto on the way home. 

False

Good to know that someone on this board is so close.  Moved to Taylor in 1998 from my home town in Hobbs New Mexico.  Lived there for 4 years and have been in Hutto ever since.  Lowe's is  in my back yard practically and the toll road in my front.  :)

False

Hi!  I'm from Longview - and I know this is an old post, so you probably already have your answer.

Your problem in not finding the recipe is simply spelling.  The dish is FLAMEADO - it's a 4 syllable Spanish word.  If you google or search for QUESO FLAMEADO you'll find a recipe for it.  I agree with you - Papacita's has GREAT Tex-Mex food.  I actually prefer Posados and Jalapena Tree, but Papa's is good, too.  And I just love the reaction of Northern folks to our Southwest flavors!!  My aunt and uncle lived in Ohio for  20 years, and we ate nothing but Mexican food when they came to visit because they missed it so much.  Now our son is a pastor in Preston CT - same thing - all he wants is Mexican cuisine when he comes home.  Everything else he can get up there, even Southern fried chicken, but not good ole Tex-Mex!!  And when I go visit him - lobster at Nyack and Mystic, fresh scallops!!  Hope you have a Merry Christmas.  Come back to Longview and try Posados!!

False