Can You Freeze Soup? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can You Freeze Soup?

Last post Feb 15, 2008 6:55 AM by cheaperbythedozen . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Can You Freeze Soup?

I made way too much vegetable beef soup and was wondering if I could freeze it?  

False
  • Re: Can You Freeze Soup?

Absolutely! You can freeze it in serving size portions if you want, so you don't have to defrost a big batch and then up freezing it again later.

If you have pasta or rice in it, it will tend to absorb more of the broth, and so you may need to add more broth or water when reheating, but otherwise it'll be fine.

Amy

False

Amy thank you so much.    That is good to hear because it would be so nice to have homemade soup already made and just take it out of the freezer and heat it up.

I will be freezing it in individual portions.   Thanks again.

False

Don't forget to leave some headspace  for expansion.

False

You're very welcome!! Back when I was organized, I used to cook all day on a Saturday or Sunday, and then freeze it up in portions for week night meals.  John's Beef Barley Soup was a good one for that~course, if DH was home, it might not last long enough to get frozen, lol!

Pat is right too~don't fill the containers completely full.

False

Potatoes don't freeze well so I'd take them out if you have them in the soup.  I used to freeze soup all the time and it's great to have that to bring out when you want!  Enjoy!!

pegg

False

pegg

two soups that I frequenty freeze is the Taco Soup and White Chili.  I love soups and I freeze in small contianers to eat when I am "starving".  I also freeze beans for later use.  

Quick White Chili

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, chopped
    2 t. minced garlic, can substitute 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
    1 T. bacon drippings
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 cans (15 1/2 oz) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can of Rotel (tomatoes with green chilies)
    4 T. fresh chopped cilantro
    1 1/4 t. ground cumin
    2 c. cubed cooked chicken breast (save broth after cooking breast)
    4 pieces of crumbled bacon
    Instructions:
    In a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in drippings, until tender. Stir in broth, beans, Rotel, cilantro and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, chicken and bacon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until heated through.
    Optional: Can sprinkle Pico-de-Gallo and pepper jack cheese on top of soup for added flavor and color.

False
    Sandra , 45 years old, mom of 5 children, live in Hutto Texas (20 minuites from Austin)