REC: Homemade piping gel | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC: Homemade piping gel

Last post Feb 21, 2008 2:20 PM by Deonia . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • REC: Homemade piping gel

I know a lot of you like to make cakes for parties  and I thought you might like to be able  to save some money on piping gel, which is expensive for those little tubes from Wally world. Here's a recipe for it that is very inexpensive and is exactly the same thing.

HOMEMADE PIPING GEL

2 cups white corn syrup

1-2 envelopes unflavored gelatin ( 2 envelopes make a stiffer gel)

2 Tbsp. cold water

Soak gelatin in 2 tablespoons water. Heat on low until clear and gelatin is melted, then add the corn syrup. allow to heat thoroughly, then store in a covered container. This product can be tinted with paste food colors. This should be stored in a refrigerator and used within a few weeks as it molds. This is because there are NO PRESERTATIVES in it.

False
  • Re: REC: Homemade piping gel

Thanks for the recipe. However, where in the store is the paste food color located? I've not been able to find that. latinrose

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose

Paste and gel food colorings are found at Michael's or in the craft dept. at walmart.

Pat

False

Thanks for sharing Deonia.

False

Thanks, grma_pat. I will look for the gel and paste next time I'm in town. latinrose

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose

Always glad to share dessert1st. It used to be cheaper to buy the premade things but now it's getting to be cheaper to make them from scratch again. I knew we'd get back to ole'time cooking again LOLWink

False

Good one.  Thanks!

False

Charleezangel_OH "My Chocolate Lab Owns My Heart!"

you're Winkwelcome

False