Mystery dinner menu | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mystery dinner menu

Last post Jul 02, 2009 8:41 PM by scaredcat . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Mystery dinner menu

I need help.  Our church youth group is planning a mystery dinner.  The kind where the menu is coded, not the kind where you solve a mystery.  Anyway, I have an old menu, but didn't write down the correct answers.  So it's a mystery to me too.  Maybe you can help decipher the code or have another menu.  Here's what I have so far:

1.  K. P.'s agaony --potatoes

2.  Roly Poly's -- olives

3.  George's Delight -- cherry dessert

4.  Brazilian Delight

5.  Pucker Power

6.  Slippin' and Slidin' -- Jell-o (?)

7.  Bucaneer's Pal

8.  Cheap Fuel

9.  Squirrely Little Pillows -- dinner rolls (?)

10.  Bumps on a Log

11.  Crystal Clear -- water

12.  Young Man's Fancy -- spoon

13.  Son of Noah -- ham

14.  Staff of Life -- bread

15.  Underground Icicles

16.  Cow Juice -- milk

17.  Eve's Tempter -- fork

18.  Lot's Wife -- salt

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.   Kathy

False
  • Re: Mystery dinner menu
    Pucker power sounds like something lemon. Bumps on a log is celery filled with peanut butter (or cheese) and raisins added on top. Underground icicles sounds interesting. I'm still thinking.
    False
    I'm thinking Roly Poly's might be peas and Underground Icicles might be carrots.   Bucanneer's Pal could be a knife (sword).  I'm not so sure Little Pillows is dinner rolls, because you wouldn't have both bread and rolls.   Is Brazilian Delight maybe coffee?  Any ideas out there?
    False
    I thought about coffee for the Brazilian Delight. Underground icicles are radishes!! A white long radish is called an icicle radish. I'm still thinking.
    False
    Calling the little pillows squirrely makes me think of nuts.
    False

enter mystery dinner above in the blank area (search) and click on community.. there are 1000 entries....good ideas

http://www.tasteofhome.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchPhrase=mystery%20dinner&T=1&searchSource=hdrbox-Community

.........................................................................................

Posted by : my3girls

Mystery dinners are great fun. You need to create a menu 18-20 items.
    Here are the items we use: main dish, green salad, fork, knife, spoon, toothpick, water, apple wedges, dessert, coffee, cheese cubes, pretzle, sparkling cider, carrot sticks, olive, pickle.
    You need to come up with a theme and then make up silly names for each item on your list.

You print up a menu that lists each item on the top half, then on the bottom you list 4 courses and 4 blank lines after each course.
    your guests should have no idea what is going on. They will sit down to a beautiful table, without plates, cups, utensils, and be given the menus.
    After everyone has chosen their courses, the servers take the menus to the kitchen and bring each person what they ordered for the first course.
    The only alterations we make is if someone did not order the main dish, then we say we were out of what they ordered and substituted this. But we bring whatever they order, even if it is an olive, a toothpick, chocolate pie and a carrot.

Everybody laughs and laughs. When everyone is done with their first course, bring out the second!
    False
    Eve's Tempter is an apple.
    False

I'm thinking cheap fuel might be - corn.

Buccaneer's Pal - oranges

False

You can't be a door mat if you don't lie down!

Pucker power,,,,I was thinking ...lemonade ....too....

False

Bumps on a log could be corn on the cob.  Opallu

False
    Photobucket

Original poster????  Some great ideas...especially the individual  little paper plates

That's similar to what I did at dd's Mystery dinner, but the clues were reasonable ones that you figured out AFTER you got your food. Here's the menu I used:

Slippery when white - Fettuccine Alfredo

Yuck & Yum - Broccoli & cheese

Yellow surfboard - Garlic Toast

Eden's temptation - Fruit/fruit salad

Tall Dark and Handsome - Chocolate cake

Gum on my shoes - crackers w/cheese spread

Markers & glue - carrots w/ranch

Spoon - mini digger

Fork - eatin' tine
    Toothpick.....splinter

Napkin - sleepy relative

I had menus printed up that had the list of jumbled clues and a separate form with blanks separated into 3 "courses." I gave each girl a menu, blank list and a pencil. They put their name on top, then filled out the blanks to choose their courses.

The most difficult part is getting all the items on plates and to the table while still warm.
     I found it easier to put each item on a different plate than to make up that many plates. Then dh carried out the courses to each girl as I assembled the orders. The girls kept their menus and numbered the clues so they could figure out what each item was what when they got it.
    False

Thanks everyone.  I'll try the search next.  Kathy

False

This is so much fun! I did this for dd's cheerleader group. One item that we had that I don't see mentioned is Farmer's Alarm clock (fried chicken). Could the cheap fuel be baked beans (gives you gas)?

False

Cheap fuel could be beans Wink

pegg

False

pegg

I'm thinking cheap fuel might be pinto beans because they produce free gas (LOL)

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon