Panera- orange scones | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Panera- orange scones

Last post Jul 11, 2013 9:17 AM by annamariatu . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Panera- orange scones
    I am addicted to the orange scones at the Panera Bread store. Can anyone tell me how they made them? I would like to try and bake them. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    False
  • Re: Panera- orange scones

Aren't these good?!  I wouldn't mind having this recipe either!

False

They are my favorite too! I hope someone will tell us how to make them.

False
    Would also like a recipe for these.
    False

My daughter works at Panera and I beg her to bring these home everytime she works.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how they are made.  Hopefully someone else has the recipe.

False

Amy in WI

What do you think about this recipe?.....http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070129152008AAw45m9
    False

Thank you CookieCarol ! I will give this recipe a try.

Sharon

False

I love the orange scones at Panera! Yummy!!

Salbo

False

I have never had them, but am sure hoping you all will come up with a recipe that tastes like them!!  They sound so good and I do love orange baked goods.

bug

False
    bump
    False

I found 2 different recipes.  I have not tried either, but I plan to!

Glazed Orange Scones
    Serves: 4 large or 8 small

Ingredients
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
    • ½ teaspoon baking soda
    • ¾ cup cream, plus 1-2 tablespoons if needed
    • ¼ cup orange juice concentrate
    • generous ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon candied orange peel
    • 1 generous tablespoon orange juice (about ⅛ of an orange, squeezed)
    • half and half, for brushing
    • Glaze:
    • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    • 3 tablespoons water, divided
    • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
    • 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
    • generous 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon candied orange peel
    • 1 generous tablespoon orange juice (about ⅛ of an orange, squeezed)
    Instructions
    1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk in the candied orange peel.
    2. In a separate bowl, whip cream, orange juice concentrate, and orange juice rapidly for about a minute. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and fold in until the dough has just come together, using your hands if necessary. If the mixture seems too dry, add more cream, about a tablespoon at a time. The dough should not be sticky, but somewhat tacky.
    3. Place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and, using another sheet of parchment on top, flatten dough into a round, about ¾” thick. Cut the round in 4 triangles, or 8 for smaller scones, and separate scones on the baking sheet.
    4. Place the baking sheet with the scones in the freezer while you prepare the glaze.
    5. For the Glaze:In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Mix to dissolve cornstarch and pour liquid into a small saucepan. Stir in the powdered sugar, orange juice concentrate, candied orange peel, and orange juice.
    6. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
    7. Place saucepan on the stove on low heat and allow the mixture to simmer. Once it reaches simmering point, let sit for about a minute or until it has thickened. Remove from heat and mix in 1 more tablespoon cold water.
    8. Remove scones from freezer and brush with half and half. Brush glaze on over half-and-half, using all of glaze (it will look like a lot). Be sure to brush sides of scones as well.
    9. Bake scones in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into a center of one of the scones does not comes out clean, bake for an additional 5 minutes at a time until scones are done.

Glazed Orange Scones

August 22nd, 2012

Yield: 8 scones

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15-17 minutes

Ingredients:

For the Scones

1/3 cup sugar
    zest of two medium oranges
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
    1/2 cup  Sour Cream
    1 large egg

For the Glaze

3 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted
    1 cup confectioners’ sugar; sifted
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Directions:

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, combine sugar and orange zest; mix with your fingertips until the sugar is moistened and fragrant. Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

3. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

4. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream and egg until smooth.

5. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. The dough will be sticky first, but as you press, the dough will come together.

6. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and prepare the glaze.

7. In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and orange juice. Whisk until smooth. Dip the top of the scones into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. At this point, you can leave them as is or go for the double dip. I glazed my scones twice.

False