Ammonia Cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ammonia Cookies

Last post Sep 22, 2012 3:16 PM by sauregurke . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Ammonia Cookies
    • Smile [:)]

Hello,

I am looking for an Ammonia Cookie recipe, my ex mother-in-law used to make them at Christmas and they were Great!!!  The recipe uses Ammonium Carbonate (Baker's Ammonia).  They are not a soft cokkie.  I appreciate any help or suggestions .

Thanks

PJ Yancey

False
  • Re: Ammonia Cookies
    This cookie recipe came from King Arthur Baking Circle website, and has become a family favorite.  I often double the recipe.

~~Vicki

======================================

VANILLA DREAMS

Our jaws dropped, literally, when we tasted these cookies in the test kitchen. As I said above, many tasters had an immediate flashback to the sugar cookies of their youth. The ultra-tender, light, melt-in-your-mouth texture is unlike anything you can get (well, at least anything we can get) using baking powder or baking soda. That said--I apologize for calling for an ingredient here that many of you may not have, but in this case, it’s essential to the cookie. Baker’s ammonia (ammonium carbonate) is inexpensive; it may be available in your local pharmacy, and is certainly available in our catalogue--click on the link above to reach it on our Web site.

2 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon baker's ammonia
    2 sticks unsalted butter
    1-1/4 cups sugar
    1 teaspooon vanilla

-- MIXING AND SHAPING: In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla. Add the flour and baker’s ammonia, and beat till the dough almost comes together; it’ll seem quite dry at first, but keep beating, eventually it’ll become chunky and cohesive. Squeeze the dough together, gather it into a ball, and break off pieces about the size of a shelled chestnut (about 3/4 ounce, about 21g). Roll the pieces into balls, and roll them in sparkling sugar (or granulated sugar) if desired. Put them on parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheets, and use the bottom of a glass, dipped in sugar if necessary to prevent sticking, to flatten the balls to about 1/4- to 3/8-inch thick.

-- BAKING: Bake the cookies in a preheated 300°F oven for 30 minutes, until they’re a very light golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack. Yield: about 33 2 1/2-inch cookies.

This recipe came from The King Arthur Baking Circle website.

False

I have a recipe for lemon cookies made with baking ammonia and oil of lemon.  Is this what you are looking for?  If so, I would be happy to post it here.

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Hartshorn is another name for baker's ammonia.
    ~~Vicki

================================

Recipe via Meal-Master

Title: HARTSHORN GERMAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES posted by sauregurke

2 c Sugar
    1/2 ts Salt
    1 3/16 c Shortening
    2 Eggs
    1 c Milk
    1 tb Hartshorn
    1/2 c Boiling water
    2 ts Vanilla
    Flour to stiffen
    1 oz Anise seeds

* Hartshorn can be obtained at your pharmacy. It is
    ammonium crystals 1. Mix sugar, salt, shortening,
    eggs,and milk. 2. In a separate bowl, dissolve the
    Hartshorn in the boiling water.
    Make sure it is completely dissolved.
    3. Add vanilla and anise seeds to the sugar mixture.
    4. Add hartshorn mixture to sugar mixture.
    5. Add enough flour to the sugar mixture to stiffen
    and not to be
    sticky. It may require 4-5 pounds!
    6. Roll out dough on floured surface, and cut with
    cookie cutters. 7. Bake immediately after mixing in a
    moderate oven (325-350F) for
    10-15 minutes.

This entire recipe will make between 180-220 cookies.
    One half the recipe is suggested (up to 100 cookies).
    But, they are great!
    False

I have made the vanilla dreams~they are wonderful!

Nancy, would you mind posting the lemon oil/bakers ammonia cookie recipe?

Thanks~

Linda

False

Guess what! I found a whole thread of Ammonia Cookies by Redraspberrygirl. Check it out.
    ~~Vicki

Ammonia Cookies - several recipes by Redraspberrygirl

False

Hello Nancy,

Thank you  for replying...I'm not sure if that is what I'm looking for only ingred. I know that was in it was baking ammonia... would appreciate you posting if you don't mind..

PJ

False

Here is the recipe Dunit.

Mum's Rolled Lemon Cookie
    1 oz. (3 level T.) baking ammonia dissolved in 1 pint of milk, room temperature

2½ c. Crisco creamed with 3 c. granulated sugar
    Add:
           2 oz. oil of lemon
           2 egg whites, that have been beaten stiffly, fold in sugar mixture.  Flour enough to stiffen dough (about 9 c. sifted)  Roll about ¼" thick.  P*r*i*c*k cookies with fork before baking.  Baked on ungreased coolie sheet 15 min. in a 350° oven.
    This was a recipe that my Mum always used.  She got it from an old church cookbook put out by our church way back in the late 1800's or early 1900's.
    We had to rewrite it because it gave measurments of the oil of lemon in cents worth like 5 cents worth of oil of lemon,  and tea cups instead of cups for the flour; so we figured it out and I wrote it down.

Enjoy!

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

Thought that these recipes deserve a boost!

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

Hi PJ Yancey ~ I'm from Buffalo NY   (It's either a Polish or German Recipe)

Here is the Recipe that I grew up with...hope it helps

Grandma Shirley's Hartshorn Cookies

1        pound of Butter

1        pound Powdered Sugar  (3 1/2 cups)

6        eggs (room temperature)

7        cups flour

7        teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2    salt

1/4    teaspoon Hartshorn (Baking Ammonia)*

1/2    teaspoon Anise Oil*  (oil NOT flavoring)

Cream Butter and Sugar together.

Add Eggs one at a time.  USE ROOM TEMPERATURE EGGS- adding cold ones will harden the butter/fat in the recipe and cause curdling of the sugar and butter.  It may also affect the texture of the cookies.  The creamed butter and sugar will separate if eggs are added too quickly)

Add Anise OIL and mix.   Set aside. 

Sift together all dry ingredients.  Slowely add to butter/ sugar miture, mixing as you go.

Do not over work the dough!!!  

Cover and Refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight.

Roll cookies 1/4 thick, cut out cookies using your favorite cookie cutters.  (thicker rolled dough produces softer cookies, thinner produces crispier ones...Don't roll too thick!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown.  When the cookies are done put on a rack to cool.  Frost if desired.   When cool, store in tins.

*Anise Oli and Hartshorn (Baking Ammonia) can be found in Drugstores or at a Candy Supplier.

Royal Frosting

4       Egg Whites

1       teaspoon Cream of Tartar

Whip the egg whites and Cream of Tartar until the Whites are glossy and forming peaks.

2-3 lbs.    Powdered Sugar

Add the sugar slowly and it won't fly all over the kitchen  :)

Juice from One Lemon -  you can also add flavoring with the Lemon Juice  (Almond,Vanilla, or more Lemon, Peppermint, Anise) .

The lemon juice will whiten the icing so the colors you add will be clearer.

Divide the Batch and Add your food Coloring.

You can also thin out the icing with water to make it flow better if you want to play with it.  

Decorate cookies with Colored Sugars, Edible Glitters, or small nonpareils.

False

Thank you Vicki for reposting the recipe. This cookie is a German Christmas tradition. I don't use anise seeds anymore,but anise oil,but be careful,it is very strong. Try 1/2 tsp. first  and add more,if is needed. I have not baked them for a long time,so I don't no the amount. I have a co-worker,who bakes them every year for Christmas. I have to look,if I find the recipe.

Mommastar, the Royal Icing is for sure not German or Polish.We don't use the terrible sweet icings. Most of the time the baking goods are only dusted with powdered sugar or some sugar.

Renate

False