What do you put in a tossed salad that makes it interesting????? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you put in a tossed salad that makes it interesting?????

Last post Apr 15, 2007 5:38 PM by GmawMary . 56 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1234
  • What do you put in a tossed salad that makes it interesting?????
    I was just wondering what different things people put in their tossed salad to make it interesting. I made a salad for lunch today, and this is what I put in it. Lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cuke, green pepper, carrot, celery, cheddar cheese, orange slices, kidney beans, croutons, and a homemade dressing that consisted of oil, cider vinegar,parsley flakes, salt, and sugar. Boy that was some salad. Better than you can find in any restaurant.

Joyce
    False
  • RE: What do you put in a tossed salad that makes it interesting?????
    I love to add hard boiled eggs and avacado.
    False
    DD & I like Raisins!
    False
    Fresh strawberries, toasted cinnamon sugared pecans, mandarine oranges, feta cheese, grilled chicken. Dressing: Citrus dressing, honey, lemon, lime olive oil.

Pineapple bits, walnuts, feta cheese, grilled chicken. Dressing: pineapple juice, balsamice veinger and olive oil.

:) -K
    False
    I like my salad with all the veggies like brocolli, cauliflour,carrotts,tomatoes and homeaide ranch dressing.

my DH hates veggies he just likes lettuce, real bacon bits, and eggs, and green onion. and ranch
    False
    DH likes to add peaches and ham to his, especially fresh peaches in the summer--but he'll use canned ones, too.
    False
    I try to use a little bit of lettuce, so that way that's not all I taste. Cherry/plum tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, deli meat, Chinese noodles (for a nice crunch), cheese, and either ranch or French dressing...maybe both.
    False
    I toss in marinated (drained) artichoke hearts,chopped, also roasted red pepper (from a bottle) and chunks of cheese...chick peas are nice,too! Margaret
    False
    I like to add all kinds of veggies like the ones listed here but one that isn't listed is red onion. Oh! and I like to add sunflower seeds too.
    False
    mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, crispy rice noodles, grilled chicken etc.
    False

I love lettuce salad (Iceberg) with green pepper, celery, green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed taco chips. Then I eat it with salsa and sour cream for the dressing. (it's a meatless taco salad).

Sometimes I'll add chopped broccoli and cauliflower too!
    False
    This is great. Love your ideas. I always like to try something new. It takes the boredom of eating. Thanks again.

Joyce
    False
    We throw in whatever is in the house :-) I'm a little more picky, but DH will eat anything. I love making big salads for dinner - Yum!!

On any given day, this is what can be found in our salads: tomato, onion, garlic, cheese, ham, turkey, chicken, radish, carrots, cabbage, cukes, squash (when in season), sunflower seeds, bacon bits, croutons...

for dressings I like ranch, italian and Green Goddess. DH likes italian and Balsamic Vinegar & Oil.

dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

My 4 year old DD and I are crazy about salad. I like to use head lettuce, romain lettuce, eggs, carrots, celery, croutons, sunflower seeds and here is the strange part, we like to have STOVE TOP STUFFING (before it is cooked, just the dry stuff) sprinkled on the top of our salad. It is like croutons, but it has spices and seasonings. It is very yummy!! And sometimes cheese too!! :)

Erica
    False
    All of the above and add to it leftover cooked veggies from the previous meal, sometimes I'll add a can of mixed vegetables.

My very, very favorite salad is:

Iceburg lettuce
    tuna
    hard boiled egg
    sweet pickle relish

Mix it up and eat it... the pickle juice makes enounh dressing for me! I serve it with butter crackers.

Cherie
    False