Dream Whip - information needed | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dream Whip - information needed

Last post Apr 09, 2008 11:34 PM by piggykins . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Dream Whip - information needed

Do they still make the Dream Whip Topping Mix? What isle in the grocery would I find it? How do you make it? What is the tast compared to Cool Whip? What is the cost? Are there 2 envelopes in a box and how many teaspoons of mix are in a pouch? How long can you keep an unopenened envelope in your cupboard?

The reason for my question is.... I was searching the web for a certain recipe and came up with Dream  Whip and I thought they quit selling this product years ago.  I guess until now I never really paid attention.

When I was a child it was Rich's ready whip in the can, then mom adopted mom would occassionally make the real stuff or dream whip but now it seems it's only cool whip for everything - I suppose it just a convenience factor of going to the store and picking it up and you can use it immediately.  Well, I don't know that why I ask!

Thanks....

piggykins

False

"Have a piggy perfect day!"
  • Re: Dream Whip - information needed

I've haven't looked for it but I'll keep my eye open next time I go to the grocery store.

Do you have an Aldi? They have a generic brand of it. 

False

I will answere as much as I can, but do remember, I am from Canada, so products may vary from here to there.

Yes, they do make Dream Whip, and it is in the same aisle as Jell-o powders.  It doesn't taste just like Cool-Whip, but it is good also, and can be substituted in probably all recipes.  Not sure on the cost, I think it is just over $2, and there are two envelopes in a small box.  I dont' know how much one contains.  But I believe you can keep it indefinetely.

The thing with Dream whip is, you can use skim milk and get "whipped cream" from it.  Of course, it will taste different, but it is still pretty decent

False

We have dream whip here~we do prefer the taste over cool whip but cool whip is so easy to use! I do use the Reddi whip can when I want to make a pretty topping.

I buy the 4 pack and our little grocery is high in price I am sure at 3.00+.

Each envelope makes 2 cups and the dry mix is close to 1.3 dry oz. per pack. It whips well with just about any milk and like cream, the colder the bowl and beaters, the nicer and faster it whips.

Hope this helps you~

Linda

False

I also wondered if it was still available at the grocery store.  Yeah, they had it!  I just bought a box this past week.  I use this in a frosting, which also has pistachio pudding mix in it.  I hadn't made this in at least 7 years.  It is nice to have on hand when I don't have Cool Whip or whipping cream on hand.  It can stay in the cupboard a long time and still be good.

Mary Lou

False

Thank you all for answering me.  I will look for it next time I get into the grocery store.  It's been awhile for me.  Anyway Jenni you asked if we had an Aldi's store - the closest one is 25 miles from here.  Our town was suppose  to get one last year so what happened? I have no idea - otherwise it is almost 50 miles from me. 

I'll look at Walmart or something.  Thank you all again....

piggykins

False

I get a national brand of it at the dollar store, two envelopes in a package for $1. The grocery store is not much different.

ViolaB 

False

Well, then maybe I better send someone into the dollar store for me.  Thanks for telling me - never would have thought of it....

piggykins

False

Piggykins, I can buy Rich Whip in a carton that is frozen. You just thaw it and beat it until it is like whipped cream. I used to use it for Dh because it is dairy free but since it has trans fat in it I stopped. It sure was nice to have in the freezer. The Rich's company is based here in Wisconsin, probably why I can buy it. I didn't think anyone else had ever heard of it.

chefly 

False

chefly you're talking about Rich's Ready Whip? Maybe it is a different company than what I know even though I am from Minnesota! Rich's Ready Whip I've only heard about comes in a can.  The company started after WWII in Buffalo, New York - and the only reason I know that is my dad had a chance to get in with the company.  A guy who was in the war with my dad, well it was his wifes recipe.  My dad thought it was a bad idea.  Bet if he was still alive and knew the  profits he'd have missed out on  he'd probably kick himself in the butt lol!....

piggykins

False