Max and Erma's French Onion Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Max and Erma's French Onion Soup

Last post Apr 14, 2008 8:54 PM by ViolaB . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Max and Erma's French Onion Soup

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for Max and Erma's French Onion Soup. My kids just loved it. If anyone can please help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Kristie

False
  • Re: Max and Erma's French Onion Soup

I found this by doing a search.  I don't know if it is a tried and true copycat recipe or not.  It was the only one I could find though. 

Marlene

Max and Ermas French Onion Soup

2        tablespoons  olive or canola oil
      8        medium  Vidalia onions -- quartered and thinly sliced
      2        cloves  garlic -- minced
      5        cups  water
      1/4     cup  dry red wine
      1        teaspoon  dry mustard
      2        tablespoons  miso -- (Max and Ermas secret) to taste, dissolved in 1/3 cup water (2 to 4)
                            French bread -- as needed
     1 1/2   cups  grated normal or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and sauté over medium-low heat until they are golden. Add the garlic and continue to sauté slowly until the onions are lightly and evenly browned. Add water, wine, and mustard. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in the dissolved miso and remove soup from heat. Allow the soup to stand for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Slice bread into 1-inch-thick slices, allowing 1 slice per serving. Bake on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes, or until dry and crisp.

To assemble the soup, place a slice of bread in each ovenproof bowl and ladle a serving of soup over it. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the grated cheese over each. Place the bowls on 1 or 2 cookie sheets so that they will be easier to handle. Bake the soup for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Serve at once.

False

thanks so much for the response. I can't wait to try it.

Kristie

False

Who are Max and Erma?

ViolaB 

False

You are very welcome.  Hope you will let us know the results.

Marlene

False

ViolaB,

I looked up the story of Max and Erma's - here you go!

In 1972, Todd Barnum and Barry Zacks walked into a sleepy little bar owned by a couple named Max and Erma. Todd and Barry offered to buy the place and sealed the deal with a handshake. They had a vision of bringing a gourmet hamburger restaurant to Columbus, Ohio. After renovating and decorating the restaurant with artifacts and local paraphernalia, Barry and Todd made Max & Erma’s a fun, unique place to take friends and family.

False

That has got to be today's charmingand feelgood story...THANK YOU!!!

I needed that.

ViolaB 

False